Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Filled or Smoothed Wheel Wells on a Fenderless Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patmanta, May 24, 2019.

1. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I know I've seen this topic discussed in the "ROADSTERS WITH FILLED WHEELWELLS...?" thread, but I couldn't find a straight up discussion of the practice as a whole, beyond roadsters.

I'd like to talk about, see pictures of and information on Filled or Smoothed Wheelwells on Fenderless Hot Rods here.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Stogy and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  2. Personally, I never cared for it but that's just one opinion, my reasoning being it appears to make the car look like a cheap fiberglass body, again it's just my opinion. HRP

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think HRP pretty much said it all.
    Filled looks like "plastic".

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Yes, we know ;) and that is certainly a concern, but does not mean it can't be done "right" on the "right" car.

If all you've got to say is "I don't like it" without showing why, you're not adding a lot of value to the discussion. Find an example of a car you think looks like a cheap glass body and post it here.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it rocks and is as traditional as apple pie bring them on... @Cyclone Kevin's is one...

How about this for a reason...cutting down on drag on the dry lakes and of course a look that many Speedsters and larger elegant vehicles had back in the day...;)

Cyclone Kevin and anthony myrick like this.
  6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I fixed the tag so maybe @Cyclone Kevin will chime in and post a pic pf his car.

I cherry-picked a couple posts from the conversation on roadsters that show what I think @HOTRODPRIMER was talking about as well as a couple that look like they were filled for speed:

Stogy likes this.
  7. Excuse me, I didn't mean to pee in the pool but I assumed you were asking a question. HRP

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Although I have been a custom metal guy for over 40 years, I have not had the opportunity to do this particular mod. With that said I love viewing any custom metal modification on a hot rod or custom. It gives me a chance to view someone else's process and maybe learn a new trick or two. Larry

Stogy, Luke stone and patmanta like this.
  10. Apology's to the owner and it may have been a extremely popular modification back in the day but I prefer a Model A body to have all the hiccup's it was born with, including the wheel wells.

This car is most likely a steel body but looks like it could be a cheap knock off.

In the end we are all different and where some like smooth hot rods and customs others like myself prefer the stock look, there is no right or wrong. HRP

. trog_2017-126.jpg

AHotRod, hfh, ct1932ford and 12 others like this.
  11. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'd be very surprised if that wasn't an old glass body. The lunchbox latches, smooth tail where the subframe would otherwise meet the quarter panel, and what looks like scratches with no sign of rust all lead me to think so. If it's steel, that is A LOT of filling that seems to me would want to crack at least at the tail there.

I'm not a big fan of it with the higher stance here either.

12. A Boner

A Boner

image.png image.png This roadster looks cool!

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DSC_0074.JPG

:rolleyes:...Hybrid...bit Custom bit Hotrod
    and of course filled wells

Credit to Photographer, Owner

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd like to know how someone did it without a huge oil caning problem.

Bob

Stogy and patmanta like this.
  15. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Not a fan of it. Body looses its character.
    SPark

Blues4U, akoutlaw, Hombre and 2 others like this.
  16. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

On stock or hot rods, I like it, it gives a place for the rear tire to "fit" vs just sticking the tire anywhere look.

On a custom as above? Anything goes.

Hombre and patmanta like this.
  17. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

While the wheel wells are indeed filled they have left a body line for character. I like this one but the slab sided look of the others is a turn off.

Automotive Stud, Hombre and bchctybob like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like many mods done in the past if keeping the well bead it may have been a filler panel inserted and welded perhaps braced and filled with either lead or bonded. The smoothed ones perhaps hammer welds, lap welds you name it, with lead or bondo or nothing added...

I'm sure if done by an experienced metalsmith, they would consider and address as needed.

19. If we're talking traditional as in how did the average hot rodder do it back in the day, then, no. As far as customs and Bonnie type cars, probably some were done back in the day but I doubt it was very common.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  20. Ziggster

Ziggster

I'm still learning about early Fords etc, and I recently came across this nice example. Would this be considered filled? I'm personally not a fan of fiberglass bodies, but that is just me. Is this steel or fiberglass?
    image.png

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I remember seeing one back in the 80's that had the wheel wells sunk in like tubs, and some enormous tires on back, probably an attempt at a pro street look. Didn't look bad, just a little strange.

22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Why does every post wanting to see custom metal work or modifications end up being a zillion pages of I DON"T LIKE IT! This site is suppose to be about hot rods and customs right? I wanted to see custom metal work not more drama.:(:( Larry

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Don't yell at me, I'd like to know how it was done with warping the quarters. Bob

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well thats probably because he asked for a discussion and to talk about it, not just photos.

That’s what he got, the people against it just outnumber those who like it. Just like it clearly was back then or you’d have seen it more.

They probably didn’t warp the quarter buy just filling the revel with 30 pounds of lead if most of the surviving cars from that area tell us anything .

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not at all the modification being discussed here.

26. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Was not yelling at anyone. Just disappointed that these threads always seem to attract more I don't like its than examples of what has been done. Larry

a boner and Stogy like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting you mention this as it could be a streamlining option as I mentioned before which is in fact purpose built which is laughable that Traditional Hotrodders revel in being so negative about true purpose built mods...:D...which is the Mantra of Hotrod...Purpose built made to go fast...everything else next...

Clever engineering in my books...and not a remotely new mod at that...

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  28. Maybe not 100% the mod mentioned here but it should be similar. Could just make the wheel well much shallower and not add the 2 bead rolls
    Butt welded in the center of the bead
    No oil can. Just simple hammer and dolly
    B92F24D9-A39D-4930-B2ED-0D9DCE63B01B.jpeg

Any deformation created from a weld can be cured by proper hammer and dolly work along the weld area. It’s very important to restore any damage before welding.

Stogy and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Maybe not, but they were smooth, no ribs.

Stogy and anthony myrick like this.
  30. bchctybob

bchctybob

It's certainly a matter of taste but it also falls into the Kustom category of "modification for modification's sake". Far too many customs got ugly because someone thought every single panel needed to be modified with little thought of the overall look. Bonneville racer, old drag car, '80s-90s hot rod? - sure. Nice traditional hot rod - nope.
    Don't like that ugly inner fender panel? Just put the fender on it and fill it with tire. There's a reason you don't see it all that often. Just my .02.

The37Kid and Hombre like this.