Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Machinery

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by TraditionalToolworks, Mar 15, 2019.

1. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Most South Bends have 2 numbers on them, one is the catalog number which is on the gearbox plate. The other is the serial number on the top right hand side of the bed. Both of those numbers will tell you quite a bit about the lathe. You can calculate what year it is by the number and the catalog also tells the model and/or features of the lathe.

See this page: http://www.wswells.com/sn/sn_index.html

F&J likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Buzz over to the “ hobby machinist “ forum. They have cats over there that can answer most anything!

Bones

F&J likes this.
  3. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

4. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Steve,

That looks like some of the machines I've seen that Dennis Turk restored. Did you do that yourself?

Looks like you have a serpentine belt on there. I love those really old SBs...nice looking lathe!:cool:

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  5. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Steve is the "other" plate guy. This lathe is for sale on Craigslist in Ridgecrest for $1200.

6. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Ooops, my bad...sorry for the mixup.

You should have added that it is for sale on the Ridgecrest craigslist, someone might want a cool old lathe like that here. Has a silent chain drive on it, those are kind of cool.

7. Cool 33

Cool 33

This is a shop fabricated band saw using Oakland auto spindles, hubs, and brake drums as the wheels for the blade to run on. I have no idea when it was built or by whom. shop built band saw.JPG Oakland auto hub and drum on old band saw.JPG

VANDENPLAS, Okie Pete, cretin and 4 others like this.
  8. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

That is way cool, but I guess that's why you're Cool 33! ;)

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. Cool 33

Cool 33

Here are some pictures of another shop built band saw in a smaller form. Also some very old drill press and hack saw that were line shaft driven from an old blacksmith shop that I took down a few years back. I used my 33 BB truck to move the sections out. The shop was built using Model T and A frame rails for much of the structural frame work. I just couldn't stand to see it demolished. small shop built bandsaw.JPG line shaft driven drill press.JPG line shaft driven hack saw.JPG 33 July 2006.jpg

10. Cool 33

Cool 33

Pictures of a post hole auger that if my memory is correct bolts onto the back of a Jeep and is pto driven. The other is of a couple of friznoes that would normally be mule drawn, but used them behind a tractor when I was growing up in the 1950-60's post hole auger for Jeep.JPG friznoes.JPG

Okie Pete and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Most folks won’t even know what a Fresno is! Or used for!

Bones

12. cretin

cretin

Do you know if those are the legs that belong with that lathe?
    I have the same ones that I used on my belt sander and I've been wondering what they came from.

13. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Cool,

I love this pic, even got the extra weight on the front hitch!:cool:

I could use something like that...:rolleyes:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

The legs came with a 1930's Atlas lathe I bought. I see the legs going for almost as much as I sold the whole package for

cretin likes this.
  15. 500caddy

500caddy

[​IMG] picked this up yesterday from what I can see it’s a 1918 perfect made in Ontario Canada

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. 500caddy

500caddy

VANDENPLAS and cretin like this.
  17. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Looks like you have what you need, is that the counter shaft behind the lathe? Is there a motor? If not you should be able to hook one up pretty easy. Definitely that lathe is more than capable of making car parts.;)

VANDENPLAS and Boneyard51 like this.
  18. 500caddy

500caddy

The motor is on the other side. Only paid 100.00 for it, should be able do something with it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

1886 Walter Brothers planer--I've had it since 1954. One just like it is/was in the Ford museum planer 002c.jpg

caseywheels and tractorguy like this.
  20. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

That is a sweet machine. I have a soft spot for planers.:cool:

21. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I have an Index 745 vert. mill and South Bend 13X60 that still wears it`s tag proclaiming it to be property of the Michigan Dept. of Corrections....I named her " Ol` Hard Time'

TraditionalToolworks likes this.
  22. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This very cool piece ( the left over guts of a hit or miss engine, the crankshaft and piston welded in place ) was owned by a lady named Sylvia here in Seattle, the company her and her late husband owned, was a machine shop. He used to work on steam locomotives back in the day.

It was out in the parking lot in a place where it really could not be seen or appreciated, and it sat there for 30 years. She would joke about how some mornings there would be rope or weak broken chain around it as vandals tried often to steal it for the weight, for scrap money. There was a secret that was hidden that prevented it from being stolen.

You could rock it back and forth but it would not budge, there was something definitely welded to it under the dirt that foiled many would be thieves. Long story short, I approached her about it and wanted to buy it, everybody in the shop just laughed, but with persistence, a year later she sold the property and said, if you want this, come get it before we haul it off for scrap.

I came over and with the help of her forklift, my suspicions were confirmed, there were two steel legs welded to it that were about 5 feet long, and the weight of this unit weighed 497 pounds on the scale, so nobody unless they had a forklift was ever going to get it to budge.
    Its now a cool piece of yard art out in front of our fence ! I named it " Sylvia " in honor of the cool lady that gave it to me.

So far so good, no one has tried to pick it up ( grin ). The red lenses are not permanent, we redecorate it often with new stuff.

SYLVIA.JPG

SYLVIA install 2.JPG

SYLVIA Install 1.JPG
    Sylvia red lense.JPG

sylvia out front.JPG

TraditionalToolworks likes this.