Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Now WTF do I do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JNKYARDDOG_1, May 23, 2019.

1. As I was trying to mock things up with this Offy intake for a SBC. It has large base 2G's on it. The Dizzy is hitting the back carb? This is just a STOCK points unit, and I knew that a HEI would not fit at all.
    WTF does one do to spark the combustion in the hole. Is a Mallory unit any smaller OD?

20190523_090035.jpg

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Two ideas. One get a small base carb and adaptor 2) grind down thats window piece on drivers drivers side.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  3. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Maybe rotate the distributor one tooth?????

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Not sure if there is one out there but you might find a slightly smaller cap from a different year.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Just stare t your avatar for a bit. Take your mind off your dizzy problem for a bit. :D

6. Easy...time the engine so the cap doesn't hit.....and/or do some creative grinding. It's a non issue, really.

7. I would have to put the Dizzy in 180 out with the vacuum advance pointed at the firewall.

And that would be down right FUGLY !

alanp561 and X-cpe like this.
  8. Do you care if it runs good more than the fugly look?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    chevy2tom, 56premiere and Hnstray like this.
  9. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

You can do one of the above. I had to grind the cap on my tri power. No big deal. Clears the back of the carb just enough.

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An early dist. would fit like a 57-58 #891 without the window type cap I think. They pop up from time to time around $100

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A while ago I sold a Mallory dual point to a guy that had firewall clearance issues with his small block. He said he wanted the Mallory because it was smaller. Might work in your situation.

pitman, dana barlow, F&J and 2 others like this.
  12. A 55 Chevy distributor is smaller and will clear that, it uses a completely different cap and rotor and is about a 1/2 smaller in diameter. I believe the 56 to 58 are a tad larger and use a different distributor cap, but it is smaller than the window cap. Also, a Malory YC310 or YC310 HP with a flat cap will also clear it just fine.

alanp561 likes this.
  13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I was thinking a flat cap Mallory as well. Here’s a picture of the one on my roadster before I got it wired and plumbed.

Attached Files:

alanp561 likes this.
  14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The Mallory is smaller, even the electronic.

dana barlow likes this.
  15. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Nothing like having spark and fuel close!

Forever Blue likes this.
  16. Dennis D

Dennis D

Had to grind the cap for clearance on my Fenton tri-power. D

17. thomas.parker197

thomas.parker197

They went to the window style in 57.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

18. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I used a Mallory:D

19. Flip the cap 180 degrees. You will need to modify the "keys" on the bottom of the cap, but you will at least be able to keep the distributer in a somewhat normal orientation for timing purposes.

X-cpe likes this.
  20. you are correct 55 and 56 use the small cap 57 up uses the window cap.

pitman and 61cad like this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

See no more WTF problems :) We all will return back to your avatar.:D

firstinsteele likes this.
  22. Giving me some food for thought here.

Wouldnt mind a Mag but what they want for them is out if the question
    When I return back to work next week and I'll play with the idea of the early distributor cap and see if that will work

23. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

I have the same set up as you, I dropped the distributor in with the vacuum advance on the left side.

egads likes this.
  24. Its not just the cap, the entire distributor is different. The caps don't interchange.

brigrat likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. Jokester

Jokester

Do you have a wider photo showing the firewall. I don't remember having that problem on mine. I'm sure I just backed it up a tooth and problem solved. It's only about a 45 degree angle at the cap.

.bjb

47ragtop and egads like this.
  27. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Do you think spacers would help?

Most of the tall 2G spacers I've seen are a big chunk of aluminum but you could notch one or make your own with plates and tubing that would clear.

No idea how they'd run after though.

28. Depend on what ignition system you want to run. There are small HEI distributors and small diameter point units both GM and aftermarket. The housing can be placed anywhere, and the #1 position can be changed as well. Don't grind the cap or housing it can lead to carbon tracks. Some of the early GM units did not come with a vacuum advance, HP engines.

olscrounger likes this.
  29. 48stude

48stude

I don't know if this will help you, but I used a phenolic spacer to lift the carb up some. Bill P1020608.JPG

patmanta and hrm2k like this.
  30. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The distributor with the clips and no window (#891) was used in 57 and clear up to 61 on dual 4 283's. They are not that hard to find and work well=rotors, points and condensers are available as well.. Smaller and no window. Have used quite a few over the years-Some on 40's for extra firewall clearance. A friend has several in his stash. The fuelys also had dist with no window and clips but had a drive for the FI-had two 905's and they ran great on my 57 fuely but are now very expensive.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Nailhead Jason likes this.