Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods This is a gasser look at the details (shake ,rattle and run)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jailbird, May 22, 2019.

1. jailbird

jailbird

Ball joint spacers? its raised some
    its probably an injected sbc and a 4 gear
    maybe a flip front or removable type full interior
    Is the any real details when this was its has to be in its 1st or second stage of gasser life
    what did it run back then
    This is one of my favorites
    any footage or video coverage 022_00 shake rattle and run.jpg 022_00 shake rattle and run.jpg 023.jpg 023.jpg would be nice

2. Looks like a mid-60s build, probably ran mid 12s. Doesn't look injected to me because of the scoop. I do like how they cut the rear wheel openings...

Deuces, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. jailbird

jailbird

I found some more stripepanel018.jpg still wondering what it had in it back in the early to mid 60's
    last look at the drag race 1962 all those et's and it was the fastest according to the writing
    1/8 mile maybe amp-1.jpg amp-3.jpg amp-5.jpg

4. jailbird

jailbird

I was thinking that looked like a hilborn stack under that scoop

5. oldolds

oldolds

Those times are 1/8 mile or less. I do not know how long that indoor track was. It has been discussed before. The indoor track pics are older pics. The rear wheel wells have not been cut yet.

6. oldolds

oldolds

First pics C/G second pics B/G. The car was prob still running the same combination. As the engines got bigger and cars went faster the sanctioning organizations rewrote the classes. My father's stock class car dropped 4 classes from 1966 to 1972.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have much to offer other than it's another very Nasty Chevy...love it...Period Perfection...

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  8. Here's a slightly later pic of the car with a straight axle. This is pretty famous gasser that has been updated many times. Now there is even a Pro-Mod version that barely even looks like a 57 Chevy.

[​IMG]

Deuces, Hombre, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  9. jailbird

jailbird

these last three pics 2 are probably same year the one where its racing Jail Bait would be 3rd generation of this gasser I think see the difference's
    shake rattle run.jpg srr.png shake rattle run vs uncle Louie.jpg

Deuces, Hombre, Gasser 57 and 3 others like this.
  10. jailbird

jailbird

what do you guys think about those time slips from 1962

Im a heavy equipment operator so lately I have a bit of extra time on my hands with all this rain

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  11. jailbird

jailbird

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. jailbird

jailbird

thx gasser 57 your avatar is cool project x and the shake rattle and run 57's are the coolest I thought when I was a teen ,the two cars that I always want to find in the old mags, they both have had many different changes, I can also say that about mine a little.

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  13. 37dodge

37dodge

That is a very famous Chicago based gasser race car. Has been through many iterations of its evolution. Definitely one of my all time favorites.

Deuces, Hombre, 427 sleeper and 5 others like this.
  14. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Notice the amount of pontiacs on that list.

Deuces likes this.
  15. There have been over 20 srr cars over the years. A few were crashed. The current version goes 200 plus mph.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Fordors

Fordors

The strip was only 1/12 mile, 440 feet, with an 1/8 mile shutdown.

17. xix32

xix32

I do remember seeing it on a trailer in Addison,IL must have been in 1966. What I remember most was the candy red paint job, black vinyl top, and very nice lettering.

Deuces, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. jailbird

jailbird

5.57 seconds in 440ft back in 1962 with a 57 bel-air that's pretty fast 73.17 mph
    220ft more would be the 1/8, so what do you think it would have done ? 100 mph and add a second and a half low to mid 7 seconds would be a 11 second car in the 1/4 those slick were not that great then

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. jailbird

jailbird

Would you believe my 57 had a black vinyl top back in the 60's and it was red at one time we think from the underlying paint then white black vinyl top then canary yellow1983 now brighter yellow, original color pinkish dust pearl

loudbang likes this.
  20. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

This car was sitting out side 365 days a year next door to our house in Milwaukee Wisconsin In the early 80s. What a shame .

21. Fordors

Fordors

The slicks??? I think the smooth concrete floor hurt more than anything.
    I didn’t attend the drags, being 13 at the time I didn’t even know about them. Before drags they ran Midgets there and Coca-Cola syrup was used for traction compound. The fumes at the drags must have been bad but the Midgets ran a bunch of cars at once doing multiple laps, some ran alcohol or a touch of nitro and ventilation was just about nonexistent. Stadium seating, they ran where the Amphitheater hosted the circus and rodeos, as they say- it would gag a maggot.
    Sorry about the thread hi-jack, back to the topic at hand.

Stogy, dan31, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  22. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

[​IMG]

Looking at the green pickup just past the windshield it's at least 1965/66. That's what year that truck is. It has Twin I Beam badges on it.
    SPark

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a Obituary video for the Late Eric Schmidt who was the Driver...Messino was the Mechanic...

CB Cline owned the Shake, Rattle and Run prior to Schmidt and Messino owning it...or so the story goes...

There is a video of stills with some of the 57 as well and one of a well damaged 57 as well corroborating with Racer x's info.

http://www.bradygill.com/obituaries/details/247696-erik-louis-schmidt.html

If there is any problem with this obit which explains things a bit let me know I will delete it...but it is also a celebration of life so to speak...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. jailbird

jailbird

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. jailbird

jailbird

good eye thx
    so it had no strait axle probably till late 60's

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. X2, also the ''tow'' vehicle is a 1966 Chevelle.

*Edit - 1966 Pontiac Bonneville. @Stogy gets credit for the correct ID. Guess every car aint a Chevy!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While it could still be 1966 I think the tow vehicle might actually be a 1965 Bonneville which would be really nice to have in my garage right now...;)

pontiac-bonneville-1965-6.jpg

Credit to Photographer, Owner

dwollam, loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  28. mohead1

mohead1

Look at the engine set back.....way back there...hood scoop is more like a windshield scoop!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So @jailbird this is obviously a favourite of yours so do I detect a slight color change and some other mods coming down the pipe or is that rollbar?...:D

loudbang likes this.
  30. jailbird

jailbird

no hi-jack cool you mentioned this history I know a little about coca cola syrup
    Flat trackers raced on it indoors on concrete surface lol.

Stogy and loudbang like this.