Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Racing at George Ray's who's interested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Oct 22, 2018.

1. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Ok my turn lol. When Brian called me many months ago and asked what I thought about bringing my dragster and racing at George rays I was immediately ready to load up and head that way lol about 20 years ago I was a fortunate bystander who visited the track on a whim one day and I was able to see this really bitchin 65 dodge afx car with a blown nitro hemi in it making passes with rosin burnouts and that evening got to see Brian’s world famous fire burnout I was immediately hooked and since then I have built two other afx cars one of which I ran at the H.A.M.B. drags years ago anyway brian was wondering if I could gather up some guys from my area to make the trip and I said no problem I made a few calls talked to a bunch of folks and next thing there’s a thread here on the H.A.M.B. and kaboom this was really happening so I figured I better get the digger fixed as the motor was hurt but having trouble finding parts and money to afford the ones I could find I started thinking about what to do cause I wasn’t gonna miss this under any circumstance one thing led to another just like the event I had a afx car in progress and things just fell into place for me to get the poison Ivey dodge running just in time and there I was in the same place 20 years later doin what I only dreamed of 20 years earlier not to mention at the very same track that hasn’t changed much in all this time better yet I was in the same spot waiting to do a fire burnout just like Brian had done years ago in my afx dodge unfortunately the weather didn’t cooperate but when Brian come up to me after my first pass ever in the car and said that it made his day watching rocketsled and the riff raff falcon and my poison Ivey dodge match race made all the super late nights financial struggles and worth every second of time and money I put into the poison Ivey dodge As Sunday was rained out all the guys from my area were finishing up breakfast some of them were actually gonna just go home I kept telling them to just come to the track and see a piece of history as I still had to go back and pick up my car and trailer they weren’t really having it but when I said I’m goin anyway and then just hopped in the truck and headed that way I looked in the mirror and seen every one of them following me when we got there and they all unloaded their cars for pics and even burnouts they were all glad they followed me out to the track so to finish this long boring story don’t hesitate to get your hot rod out and get down to George rays because this place makes memories you will never forget and stories you will be telling forever thanks Brian for giving me stories and memories also Tyler from George rays for allowing us to have the opportunity to enjoy it chucky it was nice to finally meet you and for taking all the pics you did

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

@wrenchbender-->. Boring? Ha! Far from it! I really like your car, and would love to hear more about it. My dream Dodge from the 1960's is a 1964 Polara. Someday I will find and build one. But for now, I am currently working on building my favorite Mopars from the 1930's.

If you ever want to gab about your car, I am definitely interested.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Brian, I think you’re right about this event being the next big thing... I’ve been telling everyone I know that I think we just witnessed the foundation and beginnings of a wonderful thing.. Randy called me last night and told me about the A/FX match bash. If there is any way on God’s green earth I can get my car built, then I’ll be there.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Well said. And thank you for bringing your car. Unfinished yet still making a wild pass. Very cool. We were glad to be a part of this as well.

5. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  6. The truck is all mopar as it should be. It has a 318 in it. His other truck is going together now. It will be powered by the stroked 354 hemi I had in my coupe. It will have hot heads on it that have been heavily modified. The engine will be super charged. He is looking for ets in the low 9s quarter mile.

7. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

That is so awesome!!! I hot rodded a 318 once using 340 components, it really ran strong, it was a 323 Cu In after the build. I used a 1973 340 as the donor. The bottom end became a stroker, and a friend of mine put that in his GTS...

So.... What is his other truck?

I am building a 1938 Plymouth Truck, and I own 2 1937's(a 1/2 ton and a 1 1/2 Ton). My interest is very high in these trucks you might guess. LOL

8. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

@RacerX--> I have bits and pieces from a 1936 Dodge truck. I want to run a blown Gen 1 in it. I just wish that I could find a grill for it. It's going to be hot rodded, so perhaps worse case scenario, I will just put a 1937 grille on it.

9. I don't know for sure what year it is. Tony has at least two trucks both dodge's. I'm guessing a 36 and 38. I had a 40 vc with a hopped up 218. I like them to.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  10. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I collected over 30 some flatheads, all Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, and DeSoto. That way I will have plenty of parts for my flathead builds.

I also got something like 15 Gen 1 Chrysler Hemi's, and two really rough messed up Red Rams(probably junk). I hope to have everything I need to do my builds, then afterwards, it's going to be offered to anyone that's interested in what is left.

Once I get my Shop built, the builds can begin to take shape. Collecting parts as I get closer to my goal.

Seems to be taking forever, I am dreaming of busting knuckles for myself for once... I have spent over 30 years building other people's dreams. Now, it's my turn!

I got to get something together and come to this Drag Event. It's everything a guy could ever want for a awesome weekend of burning gas and hauling a$$!!! Thank you so much for putting effort into this event and posting pictures of it. I can't wait to meet you and the other HAMB'rs out there someday soon!!!

As you can tell, I am very passionate about this topic. Sorry for coming across as a complete dork... LOL.

11. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

classiccarjack, I am working but I will add info about my truck later. For everyone that didn't make this race YOU MISSED OUT. It was a blast.
    Tony

12. frank spittle

frank spittle

Your Mason jars guaranteed some quality evening bench racing. Hubert Platt always had some homebrew on hand and it "relaxed" those who sipped as it was passed around. He had peach and apple moonshine in his trunk. After several years of asking for his recipe with no success I started making my own with another Carolina's recipe. I am typing now enjoying my apple brew. It's 80 proof and dosn't tak mush to num my indx fingr!

13. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

hate to hear about the rain brian, , but sure looks like you guys had a great time! will try and make the next one!

loudbang likes this.
  14. I'm thinking about going all in on a f/x and gasser class with a pay out. I'm thinking guys would like to get some tow money. I also think it would attract more cars. It would be cool to have a king of kings match race. North vs south. East vs west. A real barn burner of a event. I just need to come up with some basic rules. With how tricky it is to get down the track the big money car doesn't always win. Anyone could go home with some cash. That's the way it was done back in the day. Guys didn't go to big shows to run for free. What do you guys think?

15. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

classiccarjack, the truck in the pic is my 1937 Dodge. As of now it has a stock 1970 318, ax-15 tranny and a ford 8.8 rear axel. It had a jag IRS, but that couldn't hold up when slicks were put on it last year for another drag race. I bought the truck about 5 or 6 years ago in pieces. Slowly I started working on it, and a week before the 2017 HAMB Drags I got the truck running. MY friend and I got in the truck and drove it 1500 mile round trip to the drags, and raced it. Drove it home with very little problems. In 2018 no major trips, just some racing and only about 10000 miles on it. In 2019 drove it to George Rays track 1700 mile round trip raced it and drove home. Fuel pump, and a broken brake line were the only problems. While at George Rays a Tremec TKO 600 showed up at home with a quick time bell and McLeod clutch. That should be in in the next couple of weeks. Trying to get some cash together to bulid a small block mopar for it. I have it entered in 2019 Hotrod Drag Week, and would really like a 4 to 5 hundred hp small block for it. If anyone has some small block mopar speed parts laying around that they aren't using let me know. I drive the truck everywhere.

Brian I like the cash idea, but how about a race for a guy that drives it there and home, didn't they do that back in the day also? Not sure if my truck will be together after Drag week, but we will know more then.
    Tony

16. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Are you going to utilize a 360 block? I am going to be building a new 408 for a Ramcharger this fall with Edelbrock Heads. Then a 340 for a 1975 Duster. Currently building a 472 Hemi for a 71 'cuda and a 440 for a 1973 Road Runner. Sorry for the OT references.... My 1937 1/2 ton is getting a Chrysler 265 Flathead with a George Ashe Jr triple carb intake and Langdon Stovebolt cast iron headers(look just like Fenton's). I am considering using the stock 3 speed, being that it is fully synchronized. I got some 373's out of a 1949 Dodge to put in the rear. My 1938 Plymouth truck I will restore stock for now. But I will put a 230 in it later with dual carbs and Fenton's for exhaust. My 1937 Plymouth Panel will get a 241 Red Rams and a 4 speed. The big 1937 1.5 Ton ME 32, may get a straight 8 or a 265... There are more trucks, but it's something that I can share with you privately if you like. It involves 2 1936 Dodge Trucks... I really like 1936-38 Mopars if you didn't notice.

Please keep me posted on your fun adventures. I really like your 1937, thank you for telling me about it.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  17. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Brian I’m in and money would be great but just saying that’s not why I would come also we got the other afx car running last night so we now have a pair of 64 dodge afx match bash cars and they should be a real close match race I’ll try to get some pics taken in the next few days and post them so just saying there are at least two afx cars that will be there hope to see more

18. squirrel

squirrel

That's how it was in the old days...but it's been 50 years since it was like that, most guys playing with old-looking drag cars today have them full of modern technology that makes them run like modern race cars.

It's a neat idea, I hope you can figure out how to make it work. I don't have any suggestions.

loudbang, racer-x and Tater Bug like this.
  19. tony they do run money index classes that are run heads up. you could enter into one of those. the ten dollars you pay gets you onto the track. another ten dollars gets you into the money classes. for the rules im thinking original style suspensions. no struts; modern four links or tires wider than 10 inches. wheels would have to represent what were available at that time. interiors can be gutted. any fuel would be legal. no sheet metal intakes. hoods optional. fiberglass panels optional. bumpers optional. no electronic control devices allowed. no delay boxes; studder boxes or air shifters. the throttle must be controlled by the right foot at all times. the transmission cant have any electronic controls. no traction control. no efi. front and rear air dams must be era correct. basically the car must look and operate like the cars from 65. the race director will have the final say in determining if it qualifies. if there are concerns a forwarded pic should provide a answer. multiple dry hops and rosin burnouts will be encouraged. the idea is to put on a real deal show that is a example of how it was really done in the day. jim your cars are perfect examples of what im looking for.

Doctorterry and loudbang like this.
  20. lets talk about money for a moment. I know guys don't build these cars to make money. they do it out of passion for old race cars. back in the day the fast gassers and fx cars were plentiful. it was easy to get a full field. now the cars are few and far between. guys have to travel several states now to get a good group of cars together. the idea is to help offset some of the costs and encourage out of state cars to come. it would also attract some of the faster out of town cars that ussually run for money to show up. a large group would bring in more spectators. it would be a win win for everyone. im thinking a purse of 500 dollars would be a good start. spectators want to be entertained. putting on a wild show that cant be seen any were else I think is a winner for everyone.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  21. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

IMG_2329.PNG Thanks to Kayla for this shot of my car.

22. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Your car looks really great. It's not a Mopar(yes I am biased) but I totally love the lines and the stance of it. A really awesome machine!!! All you guys are making me have dreams of building a B Body Mopar Gasser.... LOL

23. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

24. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of good shots of my car thanks to doctorterry from here at the H.A.M.B.

25. Gamma in not sure what you are trying to say.

26. chucky1

chucky1

27. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Brian with my understanding of the rules you posted my truck would be disqualified because of the 4 link correct.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  28. Correct. But that doesn't matter because the truck is neither a gasser of f/x car. You would have to run in the index classes.

loudbang likes this.
  29. The fx class would be just that a fx class. That being altered wheelbase or modified super stocks from 1962- 1966. I'm thinking big block a/fx and small block b/fx.
    For the gassers a gas big block b gas small block.

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Dang , now I have to build another car. :D