Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hurst shifter handle question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26Troadster, May 21, 2019.

1. 26Troadster

26Troadster

I dug out a old hurst comp plus 4 speed shifter. It has a single bolt running long ways with the trans holding the handle in. Can this handle be changed? I tried search but didn't find a answer.

2. Deuces

Deuces

If it's got 2 bolts holding it in place, then yes!...
    How's about some pictures... :)

26Troadster likes this.
  3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a similar unit, I don't think you can get a separate handle unless it is the style mentioned by Deuces that has two bolts holding it to a very short lever coming out of the shifter. I am going to guess that you'd like it to have a longer handler (assuming is dangerous) and what I did to make mine a little more ergonomic (I am not as limber as I was in the 70's) was raise the shifter and cant in back a few degrees with a new bracket. Sorry if I answered a question you didn't ask:)

26Troadster and Deuces like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

He broken the cardinal rule. No pics:eek:

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sounds like the early style with the welded handle.

6. 26Troadster

26Troadster

sorry forgot the pics. the more i looked at it i could see it would be easier to cut it off and drill holes.

shifter1.jpg shifter2.jpg shifter4.jpg shifter5.jpg

7. The little bolt doesn't hold the handle in. The tube running through the center holds everything in . That's your first step for disassembly.
    I'm pretty sure you could put a later Super Shifter bolt on handle assembly in that model, and then you could bolt on any handle you want. That is, if you had those parts.
    Probably better off changing the main body out though.

26Troadster likes this.
  8. gene-koning

gene-koning

For a while Hurst made some handles that were set in hard rubber just before it enters the shifter mechanism. Look at the end where that bolt is, the one you have may be one with the rubber mounted handles, the rubber would be between the handle and the rectangle piece the handle fits into. The bolt would be what locks it into place. Finding a handle that has the bends and length you need with the rubber mounting may be quite an experience these days.
    The handles are pretty hard, hope you have good drill bits if you're planning on drilling the handle. Gene

26Troadster likes this.
  9. You'd need to disassemble the unit to swap handles. Cutting the handle off and drilling mounting holes in the stub would work tho.

LM14 and 26Troadster like this.
  10. 26Troadster

26Troadster

thanks fellas. i think i got a couple more stashed around here and if i remember right they had the bolt on handle. just really don't remember this style or this shifter for that matter.

Frankie47 likes this.
  11. 48chief

48chief
    from Wisconsin

Ok, I’m not positive but I think you take a feeler gauge and stick it down one of the sides where the handle slides or drops down into the shifter mechanism. Then you should be able to pull it out and change handles. I have quite an assortment of handles laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Everything comes out the bottom, or rear , if you pop the end plate off.