Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who Still Makes Engine/Transmission Adapters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, May 20, 2019.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

In considering all kinds of options for the '48 Ford I bought recently, I've been looking for engine transmission adapters. I did find a SBC adapter to mate it to the stock '48 transmission, but years ago it seemed there were many other options. In fact, many years ago I had a '40 Ford with a 389 Pontiac mated to a top shift early Ford transmission. Has supply and demand just dried up options for such adapters?

Lynn

Casey Riley likes this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bendtsen's in Ham Lake, MN makes a bunch of adapters, and I think Wilcap in California still has a bunch (their prices are eye-opening though). If I were you, I'd advertise for what I needed on here (and possibly "The Ford Barn"), and you should be able to find a used one. Also, put a couple of "Saved Searches" on eBay. It may take a while, though. Over the last three years, I have managed to acquire an adapter to put an Olds Rocket against a '49-'64 Ford transmission (including the starter "switchover"), as well as one to put an early Hemi against the same transmission, and another to mate a SBC to the same transmission. If you're patient, you should be able to find what you want.

I do have a spare adapter to mate an Olds Rocket to a '32-'48 Ford transmission, if that's any help.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Benson or something like that I see referenced a lot

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

5. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

Bendtsen and Wilcap

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please tell me you really don't know how to use Google.... Look under Engine/Transmission Adapters..

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

They pop up on eBay too, if you’re patient

9. lake_harley

lake_harley

My searches turned up all that were mentioned above, and then some. It appears though, that Wilcap is possibly the only supplier that offers the type adapter I'm interested in, and I found them too. Just thought that maybe another company was out there that didn't come up in the various searches I did. Lots of options to put automatics and T-5s behind almost anything, but that's not what I'd want an adapter for.

Your suggestion, tubman, is probably a good way to go. I'm pretty patient but I don't want to wait and wait for something of interest to come up on e-bay, so that might help decide the direction my'48 takes. Right now I am just looking at and probably narrowing down options.

Thanks to all.

Lynn

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do know what a "Saved Search" on eBay is, don't you? It's a very handy option.

11. lake_harley

lake_harley

Yes, I've used that feature in the past. Thanks.

Lynn

12. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Bendtsons is just a few miles's from my house. World famous. Expensive too. But nobody said this was a cheap hobby...

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Quality goods, and their’s are, usually cost a bit more......and the quality is the reason.

14. 61 Sunliner

61 Sunliner

Many many years ago I bought an adapter to put a Ford FE in my 52 ford truck. Got it from good old JC Whitney for about 35.00. Wasn't the smartest thing to adapt an FE to a granny gear no syncromesh 4 speed but it worked.