Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest gas stations were around when you started to drive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym_46, May 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Seaside is a brand even more rare n harder to collect than Signal Gas and Oil!

TagMan likes this.
  2. David Chandler

David Chandler

My father ran a Mobile station, but I don't recall it. He called it SoCony ? But I remember seeing a picture of it and it had Mobile for a sign. Texaco was common when I got older, along with Esso, And Gulf. I recall 2 "Jenny" stations on town too. When we left town, I remember a couple of general stores that had 2 pumps out in front. I don't recall the brand, but they did sell quite often. It was common to see a car there getting gas. Full service was the rule, with all of the perks that they handed out. Later they began switching to a couple of self service pumps, probably to see if people would use them. Within a year or two full service was almost unheard of. Back then they fixed almost anything too. My uncle had his engine rebuilt in a gas station, that he did business with regularly. I can recall a truck getting a new clutch installed in another place too. Today that's unheard of.
    Funny last year I pulled into a small station, and a guy came out and filled up my tank, and cleaned the windshield. And it was raining out too. That was the last thing I expected! He offered to check the oil, but I declined.

3. no55mad

no55mad

Recently blew a trailer tire just west of Flagstaff, 7pm Sunday. No spare so unhitched the trailer,removed the wheel and went back to Flagstaff.. Drove all over town in vain! Remember in days past, there would be a 'service' station with a young person working nights. There were tire machines and used and new tires that could be installed. Now gas stations, other than fuel, mostly sell groceries and lottery tickets.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  4. vinfab

vinfab

SOCONY was Standard Oil Company Of New York which later was rebranded Mobil Oil. This came about after the anti trust breakup of Standard Oil in 1911 into 34 separate companies. Some of the other spinoffs you might recognize are:
    ESSO (Eastern States Standard Oil) or Standard Oil of New Jersey
    CALSO (CALifornia Standard Oil) which was rebranded to Chevron
    Standard Oil Of Indiana which became AMOCO (AMerican Oil COmpany)
    SOHIO (Standard oil of OHIO) which is now BP
    The Ohio Oil Company which is now Marathon
    There is a lot of information about the breakup of Standard Oil and the Rockefellers but it would take an entire book to break it all down.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  5. Great thread. Keep it going

6. Some more shots of the station and some customers cars.........it was fun to work on old cars (sprinkled in with mostly new cars) I couldn't afford back then. That Desoto woodie wagon would show up about once a year to replace the 6v battery (never driven or charged it) and for me to try to convince him to re build the leaking brakes.

Last of the Texaco shots.

Rod's liquor in the back ground (RIP)
    66chevelle.jpg
    51ford1.jpg
    51merc.jpg
    flathead.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and jnaki like this.
  7. leon bee

leon bee

When I was about 16, the Phillips station where we all hung out had a peek-hole from a back room into the women's john. I got the "privilege" of using it once. Then I felt guilty and unclean and never did it again. But I think I can be forgiven cause I was just a no-account kid.

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I believe Crown was popular in Richmond Virginia.

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Was that the same Stuckeys that had restaurants on the freeways ?

10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Yep. They used to be at almost every 4th exit on the interstate. Now they are rare around here.

"Stuckeys, eat here and get gas"

11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-5-28_3-4-54.png
    Hello,

This statement says it all. It did not matter where you lived in the USA, the gas stations were all over the place. @Blues4U and @1oldtimer said it best for out West. As a teenager/20 something who worked at a specific gas station, the teenage cars/hot rods gathered in and around those stations. The teenage worker sold gas to all of his friends in the local area. We all had work done on our cars…lube, brake adjust, timing, rotate tires, change oil, etc. or as the boss goes home, were able to do our own work on our own cars. Those lifts were very handy.

In Bixby Knolls, the central gas station was a Texaco that was on the corner of Long Beach Blvd and E. Roosevelt Rd. Several of our friends worked there with their spiffy uniforms and cool hats. Despite the look of the uniforms and hat, we still wanted to work there. Why? Well, because this station was on a very busy intersection that led to the Western location homes of Bixby Knolls, was centrally located and was on a road that led to two hot spots in the neighborhood, Hof’s Hut Restaurant and Ken’s Burgers.

Car loads of teenage girls usually stopped for gas and a clean windshield. They even got their oil checked, air pressure in the tires and bugs off of the grille. But, it was the banter among friends in the car and at your service, that was the most fun. Every boy in this neck of the woods wanted to work there. Within 4 blocks, there was a Standard Chevron, a Shell and a Richfield Station. They did not compare to the location of the Texaco Station. So, most of the cruisers and hot rods came to the Texaco Station for gas and work.

Jnaki

The main problem with this station was the owner. He was a d!%$. When we went for gas and oil, etc, he welcomed us with open arms. When we were finished, it was "get the hell off my property"… He was not a fan of hot rods or custom cars. He wanted the family cars and trucks for business. We were the paying customers, but he just did not like hot rods, customs and/or teenagers (surfers?). So, it was no parking in the huge corner lot when we were talking or hanging around when there were no customers.

I even tried to get a job there because I used to say hi to the owner when I got gas. He was friendly as he knew I was buying something. But, when I went in for an interview, he was impressed with my car knowledge and service techniques, but did not hire me. Later, it was my friend who over heard the owner bad mouthing me because I was one of the usual guys with a hot rod and a beach cruiser coming into the station and hanging around.

Soon, it became an after 8:30 pm hang out place on the weekends with our cars parked off of the property, when we visited our friend who worked there. The lifts were handy for checking out the equipment, pipes, tires, and suspension, etc. only during the late evenings.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  12. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

In Pittsburgh in 1967 we had Sunoco, Esso, Cities Service, Mobil, Gulf, Amoco, Texaco and Pennzoil. I think a few more but can't recall now. Seems there was a Gulf and an Esso on every corner. Was lucky enough to work part time at the Sunoco on Banksville Road for a whopping $1.25 per hour. I think that was minimum wage then, but it included free rack time if the bays were empty and a slight break on oil, I think a discount of .05 cents per quart! Cheap gas too. 260 sunoco for about .269 per gallon! Those were the days!!!!

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  13. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

My first job just shy of 16 was at Linares Texaco at the corner of Orange Show road and E street in San Bernardino. It was down the road from the Swing Auditorium and we would get swamped on a Friday or Saturday night when there had been a concert and everyone would gas up before jumping on the I-15. The year was 1970 and a gallon of gas and a pack of cigarettes were both about 30 cents. Wish I still had that shirt.

14. Back around 1970 most gas stations were named for their owners. Riley's Mobil, Frank's Gulf, Rod's Gulf, Bill's Sinclair and so on. These guys fixed cars and were local legends before these 2-bay shops became convenience stores.

New kids on the block were Scot (mascot was a Scotchman with a tam...), Gas Value (owned by the bent-nose crowd), Crown as examples. My 1st fill up in 1973 was at Scot for 28.9¢ a gallon. A 15-gallon fill was shy of $5. Most of the time I bought gas in $2 and $3 increments.

15. I worked at a Deep Rock in the '70s. But there was one of everything around back then, Dino, Mobil, Shell, Chevron, Sunoco, Kerr Megee (I think they owned Deep Rock they were an independent Station) Texico; I am sure I am missing some.

16. gas stations were around when you started to drive?

Certainly. :D HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  17. v8flat44

v8flat44

My 2nd job was at a Pure station in Northern Ohio. Washed cars & pumped gas to keep my 50 Ford in tires & gas. New a fella in the 60s with a Sunoco station & he is still there selling beer, groceries & self serve gas....ah the good ole days.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm no expert here but I'm pretty sure it is Liquor in the front...

charleyw likes this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When I started to drive, I went back to our old Mobil Gas Station on the far outskirts of the Westside of Long Beach. I used to walk by this gas station from 1948 going back and forth to the grocery store as well as school. It was the main route to go to and from the local elementary school a few blocks east. The funny thing was a neighborhood girl that walked home with me, always stopped at the big church across the street and I stopped at the Mobil Gas Station until she was finished. Then we walked home together.

Our family moved several blocks East in 1953 to our last Long Beach house, where my mom stayed until 1998. Then the daily Mobil Gas station visits stopped until I got my driver’s license or my dad needed emergency gas for his car. One thing in our favor was that a close friend with the 1934 Ford 5 window, Olds powered coupe lived just down the alley from the station, so it was very handy during visits.

I used to stop once a day from elementary school and got to know the mechanic better and better. I always had enough money left over to buy two Cokes in those red lift off top, sliding bottle, freezing, Coke machines. (One for me and one for him.) Since this was the Long Beach stop for gas in my dad’s Buick sedans, we began to know him better.

My dad had an expert mechanic friend in Los Angeles, so any motor/transmission work that was necessary was done up there. But for basic stuff, or emergency gas, the Mobil Gas Station was the place. Plus, it was the major stop over from a grueling day at school. The mechanics and owner were always friendly (They all knew my dad) and the Cokes were almost frozen. Sometimes, there were little ice chunks inside of the glass bottle from the red sliding rack machine.

But, once I started to drive the 58 Impala, I immediately drove over to the Mobil Gas Station to show the old mechanic/owner my “new/old” hot rod/cruiser. He was impressed. Being one of the best mechanics around was his claim to fame. His knowledge of all motors and transmissions was pretty good. He always had important things to say about our cars and builds. So, the short drive over was always a rolling, auto mechanics class.

Jnaki

One thing that stumped him was the oil usage in the Sedan Delivery’s Flathead without any clues. Actually, it stumped local, factory mechanics, our expert in Los Angeles, and our friends at the local speed shops.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/teenage-hot-rodders-cheap-tricks-in-the-60s.1081062/page-5#post-12327514

catdad49 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. A few years before I started driving, in the early 60's. I hung out at a local Cities Service gas station at the end of town. I road my bicycle there along with my partner in crime, { Willy }. The owner was even nice enough to let me wash the cars, and Hod Rods that show up there for free. lol There were a few of the older boys that hung out there too. There was a Cool green 64 stingray coupe, an orange 35 Ford coupe, a 36 Ford pickup. a 34 Ford 5 window coupe, along with some others. I got to sit and listen to their stories. Like Who's car was the fastest, or what their plans were for them. They all bragged about their rods, and not to mention some of their cute girl friends. I was loving it. Even though I was only a few years younger, I'm sure they didn't even notice me, or my little Hod Rodded bicycle! But I LOVED IT! some good memories. When I started driveing, than I stopped by there too to show off my 38 Chevy coupe, and cute girl friend also!:rolleyes: lol Ron....

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    jnaki likes this.
  21. I haven't seen it mentioned but Lion Oil was the go to station in my hometown (Keiser, Arkansas, population 750), along with Esso and Gulf. It also supplied bulk fuel, grease, tires, etc. for the local farmers. Seems like pretty much the same cast of characters described in this thread.

22. I worked at a Phillips 66, Red Bird ,Esso & Texaco. my cousin worked at a large 24 hour station located between the two lanes of the Tri State in a suburb of Chicago. And The night shift was Robbed at regular intervals by punk thugs who walked there. Strong arm Robbery they pulled a knife. The culprits would even call the station and harass the attendants .My Cousin stated one day a really rough looking older Guy rides up on a Harley. Wearing a jacket with a hells angel patch on the back. Told the boss hire me and they wont get away with robbing me. and they hired him. Three thugs tried to robb him. He took the knife away from one punk and shoved it up his butt hole. The station was never robbed again as long as he worked the nite shift.

302GMC, Truck64 and Black_Sheep like this.
  23. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Standard, Sinclair, Skelly, DX, Texaco, Western, Mobil, Union 76, Phillips 66 and Shell. Local chains were Super America and Holiday. Standard became Amoco and later changed to BP. Of those big name brands brands, BP is the only one still around.

24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Brother,does this thread bring back the memories.First job was at an Atlantic station.Kirk B. Harwood was the owner.Great boss too.Full service.Fun place to work.No heavy repairs,just the regular
    stuff.Oil change,lube tire service,brake jobs,exhaust and TBA.Had quite a few of the big names too.Texaco,Pure,Standard Oil,Shell and ect.Had an Imperial Florida Oil station company too.In later years(1981/82)I was manager of that station.Lot of fun times.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Around here we had Shell, Esso, Chevron, Texaco, BA, HOME, and Royalite. There may have been others like a lonely 76. Royalties even sponsored a local game show called Winfall. It was a quiz show I think but I was in elementary school at the time so I could be wrong. And HOME was truly a local operation I believe.
    Shell, Esso, Petrocan, are still around. BA became Gulf and they're gone now as well as Chevron, HOME, Royalite, and Texaco. Husky came and seems to have left. There are a handful of independents SaveGas, Payless, and of course Costco? I believe there are only three main players selling gas in BC with the various names they own.

26. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

When I was a kid we had 3 Sunoco stations (town was only 1 square mile and bordered Chicago) my best friend’s dad had a Sinclair. His tow truck and I.H. Scout( snow plow truck) was painted the green and white. A Texaco (I got the firemen’s hat) 2 Shell, Standard, Marten. 1 independent and a Clark. This was in my town many others on the Chicago side. I worked at the Clark (Jim’s Super 1000 Clark was big at that time.(1974) It seems all the Clark Guys in the area knew each other. No service bays, Gas, cigs, oil, Pepsi and coke by the cases (10 oz and coke gave 2 glasses with each case) 24hrs, 1 guy on days 2 on afternoons and 1 on midnights. Gas was 59.9 for reg and 61.9 for premium. The big draw was cigs at .50 across the street in Chicago .05 more. We would pump around 2000 gals a day and 900-1000 packs of cigs. Sun morning was the church crowd. Mostly fill ups. You knew everyone; windows washed and check the oil. Fri. and Sat was when all the kids would come in, $1 in gas. A lot of good looking girls would try and distract you so you would put more gas in. (easily done when you are 16 years old. I had a lot of fun back then

Truck64 likes this.
  27. David25

David25

San Jose, California in the 70's. I remember Chevron, American, Texaco, Shell, Enco (later Exxon), Mobil, Union, Arco, Phillips 66 and Gulf as far as the majors go. Smaller companies such as Hancock, Regal, Norwalk, Mohawk, Douglas (later Fast Gas), Sunland, Seaside, Beacon, Hudson, Star and Bar, Terrible Herbst, Payless, and some one-offs. I used to ride my bike around the city collecting the maps the gas stations gave away and still have them. I don't remember Hudson giving them away, but all the others did. I think all the Hancock, Norwalk, and Seaside stations closed or were sold off not long after that, and most of the larger companies have since merged and the smaller brand names have been also since been bought out or faded away. Just a 60 year old guy remembering his 10 year old self!

28. oldsman41

oldsman41

We had about every gas there was. Gas price wars were the norm 18 19 cents a gallon sometimes 15 cents. Great prices but I was only making 60 cents an hour.

29. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

My dad owned a Signal station just be for it changed to Sinclare oil

30. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I'm guessing as to whether it was 1967-or 68 but the wife & I drove our 55 Nomad to Lincoln Ne. from Bellevue for I'm not sure what reason & the last station coming out of town on the return trip had a gas war.... as it was called back then, so we filled -up at 24.9 cents per gal. Recall looking at a 57 red corvette on the same trip for $1500.