Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unusual engine photos

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by William Thompson, Sep 28, 2018.

1. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle
    This old design is currently being used today, however refined somewhat from the original concept. Engine can alternate between high or low compression depending for efficiency or power. :eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

upload_2019-5-8_16-48-3.png
    https://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/Compression.html

Attached Files:

2. Ok Guys... the engine in the pictures is a rare an unique piece... How I can named... Home made? Yes... Was like a scratch built, designed and build by an Argentinian man (Juan Alesso)

Displacing 7054cc, the flat-twelve engine in question boasted a seven-bearing crankshaft, monobloc construction, four chain-driven overhead camshafts, two valves per cylinder and six downdraught Rochester carburettors. Estimated to develop some 300bhp @ 4,200rpm, it was allied to FIAT 525 manual transmission and drove the rear wheels via a heavy-duty differential (a lighter alternative disintegrated during one of the single-seater's earliest outings). Interestingly, Don Alesso's choice of a flat-12 configuration mirrored that of Dr Ferdinand Porsche's 1939 Auto Union and 1946 Cisitalia Grand Prix engine designs (the first Ferrari flat-12 debuted in 1964).

Having won the Rafaela 500-mile race on 24th December 1950 aboard a Talbot-Lago T26C, Fangio stayed in the area to attend a fund-raising banquet for the Alesso single-seater. Hampered by a lack of funds and teething troubles with the monstrous 7-litre powerplant, progress on the Formula Libre project was slow. After a series of successful test bench runs, the engine was finally installed on November 11th 1952 with the car making its public debut at Buenos Aires' 'October 17th' Autodrome shortly thereafter. Present that day were Juan Manuel Fangio (who had helped arrange the unveiling) and Luigi Villoresi both of whom apparently tried the Alesso and praised it to 'Peronist World' magazine.

Argentinian president Juan Peron took an interest in the single-seater promising land and money but sadly neither materialised. Don Alesso continued to develop the car driving it himself on occasion before employing the services of motorcycle champion Francisco Gonzalves who achieved the single-seater's best result at the Parque Urquiza in Parana. A change in Formula Libre regulations saw the car outmoded just as it was beginning to show promise. Clothed by Don Antonio Thimental in thin-gauge steel with an alloy bonnet and originally finished in the Argentinian national colours of blue with a yellow bonnet (traces of which are still visible in places), Don Alesso's amazing creation had been mothballed by the decade's end.

Migrating to France during the 1990s, the single-seater was then bought by the late Paul Foulkes-Halbard and put on display at his Filching Manor Motor Museum. Mr Foulkes-Halbard is understood to visited Juan Manuel Fangio in Argentina to verify the car's provenance and to have planned to restore it to his former glory. Sadly, a fatal stroke in 2003 put pay to such plans. Coming to market for the first time in twenty-two years, the Alesso is said to be substantially complete though items such as the clutch, rear shock absorbers, timing wheels and instruments etc are missing.

A fascinating piece of motorsport history with connections to a driver that many consider to the greatest of all time, the Alesso will surely be a sight (and sound) to behold once restored. A future star turn at the Goodwood Festival of Speed? FB_IMG_1557359996298.jpeg FB_IMG_1557359992522.jpeg FB_IMG_1557354962353.jpeg FB_IMG_1557354964427.jpeg FB_IMG_1557355025361.jpeg FB_IMG_1557355023442.jpeg FB_IMG_1557355021107.jpeg FB_IMG_1557355008423.jpeg FB_IMG_1557355008423.jpeg

Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

4. j-jock, Jalopy Joker, Stebo27 and 7 others like this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

7. Deuces

Deuces

I wonder if Ford scrapped it.... :(

OLSKOOL57, mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

So what was the fate of the lone mid-engine Boss 429? According to a short article on the beast in the December 1970 issue of Motor Trend, at that point it was awaiting its appointment with the crusher at a Detroit-area salvage yard. Since the unique Mustang hasn’t been seen since, we presume that’s where this story ends.

UPDATE — Well, that’s where the story ended when we first published it in May of 2015. But since then, we’ve received some very interesting info from multiple and highly credible sources who worked at Ford at the time. Not so fast, the insiders tell us: There’s an excellent chance the LID Mustang wasn’t destroyed. In fact, they doubt that happened at all.

Here’s what’s known for sure: After its test program was completed, the car was sent to a fenced-in bullpen at of the Dearborn Proving Grounds, and there it sat with some other discarded test mules as the months stretched into a year or more. From there the Mustang was supposed to be sent to the shredder but instead, our moles assert, the car simply disappeared one day—poof. So we shouldn’t be surprised, they say, if the one-of-a-kind Mustang has simply been sitting in a private garage somewhere in Dearborn or Allen Park for the past 40-odd years, and one day it reappears. We’ll be looking forward to that day.

It looks like the red car outside in the yard going by those goofy rear wheels; @ 0.51, 3.52, 4.05, 4.36 and 5.07. A few other unseen, by me, OT Ford prototypes as well. That empty Mustang engine bay looks ridiculous with NO engine whatsoever (@5.07), just a huge gaping hole!

9. Deuces

Deuces

I live in Dearborn near Allen Park and haven't heard anything about this mustang...
    Maybe it is rotting away in someone's garage.... :(
    We'll never know.... :mad::(

10. loudbang

loudbang

1964 Pontiac 389 DOHC experiment

1 engine pontiac 389ci_block dohc.jpg

mgtstumpy, j-jock, 1947knuck and 7 others like this.
  11. Very strange valve arrangement on a Horch V8 from a half track
    ...sort of a side, side valve. Don´t know how they avoided blowing head gaskets out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

That engine configuration looks very similar to one I posted earlier on this thread, can't remember what it was and too hard to search on cellphone, I'll get to my desktop soon so I can locate it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  14. Ha, how odd....really does look very similar indeed. Wonder if they sold the design to Horch, prewar?

Deuces, loudbang and mgtstumpy like this.
  15. I also agree looks like hose goes over the top of radiator tank too me. How is a magneto going to be placed there any how. Any how a flathead in a Camaro is absurd. Only a certified dumbass looney would do it.

Deuces, mgtstumpy and Dick Stevens like this.
  16. From the Wood & Glory Boat show in Clear Lake CA today.

#1 of 1 produced 1939 Dusenberg W24 dual overhead Cam and fuel injected / 900 HP in the record setting for Notre Dame, the record setting race boat...

The engine survived the original boats demise intact. A new boat was built to original Spec’s by the original builders family to commemorate the engine and christened 60 Yrs later.

I took a video of this beast running, it was glorious!

[​IMG][​IMG] IMG_1926.JPG [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    j-jock, Hemi Joel, mgtstumpy and 5 others like this.
  17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Load the video on youtube and post the link on here.

18. Deuces

Deuces

I would have stuffed a big block in one of those.....

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  19. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

This brings back my memory of a Model A transplanted into a Lincoln V12 Zephyr. But that was 1945 and keeping any car running was a first priority. You couldn’t easily just buy another.

seb fontana and loudbang like this.
  20. XXL__

XXL__

Good stuff...

2019-06-27 21.06.42.png

Partz, j-jock, mgtstumpy and 6 others like this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

Since some people don't like photos of old engines how about this one to keep this thread alive :rolleyes:

Franklin O-12. 805 CI, 450 HP used in prototype WWII drones.

unusual eng  Franklin O-12. 805 CI, 450 HP used in prototype WWII drones..JPG

j-jock, BigO, mgtstumpy and 9 others like this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

If those were used in target drones its a shame all of them got shot out of the sky.

loudbang, Deuces and seb fontana like this.
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Horsepower would be like 9000; give or take couple thou?..Could probably fly a barn..

loudbang likes this.
  24. SR100

SR100

A few myths about the W-24 should be dispelled.
    Augie Duesenberg built three unsupercharged W-24s for Horace Dodge Jr in 1926 (two complete and a third left as parts). They weren't successful. Dodge gave up on them in 1934. He had begun, but not completed, a supercharger setup, which was legal for 1935. Herb Mendelson bought the project & completed the supercharger setup. He ran the W-24 in three different Notre Dame boats. Only the Notre Dame 3 was built in 1939.
    The boat ran a four-barrel carb in 1939. The stacks visible in the pictures are exhaust stacks.
    The boat was stored during WWII & raced again in 1947, but was soon outran by surplus Allison-powered boats. By 1951 new owners replaced the W-24 with an Allison. The original Notre Dame 3 hull appears to have been scrapped some time after 1959.

weps and loudbang like this.
  25. topher5150

topher5150

With an offset rear like that i be she got a lil squirrely on take off. To bad Ford didn't have a FWD car like the Toronado then they could have stuffed the front clip in the back

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Not sure a turbocharged LS engine is "unusual". But it is fast. 400 on gas and this year I hear Eddie will be in fuel class.

28. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

29. loudbang

loudbang

1922 A close-up look at the engine that powered the Wisconsin Special. Sig Haugdahl built the car using a 836 cubic-inch six-cylinder Wisconsin Special airplane engine connected directly to the rear axle.

unusual 1922 A close-up look at the engine that powered the Wisconsin.jpg

j-jock, RMR&C, Jet96 and 5 others like this.