Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest What part of building a car do you dread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 17, 2019.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hate rust/hole repair, sanding and bodywork in general. But, when it's done it can be the most rewarding part of building a hot rod, right up there with the first start up and first drive.

1959Nomad, HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

What she thinks I spent. :rolleyes:
    What I say I spent. ;) I don't
    What I did spend. :) I don't know

Of course she's my exwife now :D

3. Binkman

Binkman

Interior work,
    I do everything else but can't sew a stitch.
    I hate being held hostage by the likes of LeBaron Bonney, etc.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Electrical for me and I really dread not having the proper tools for the job at hand.
    Sometimes you have to purchase the tool because no one you know has it and I hate to borrow someone else's tools.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. You won't have to worry about being held up by LeBaron Bonney anymore, they filed for bankruptcy. HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  6. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

I've enjoyed all of it. But there was the day when I was altering the wheelbase on the Stude. Car body is on blocks, rear frame half is gone, I'm standing on the ground, but inside the car with torch in hand saying to myself, "why the f#@k did I do this?" But it wound up all good and it's been a fun car. Just gotta get the new engine to live. DSC_0286.JPG

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Sanding. Hate the sanding.

Black_Sheep and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. pkhammer

pkhammer

Body filler and sanding. Don't mind welding in patch panels but I'd rather leave the rest to someone else.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Agreed, always the worst part because you know your at square one.

nochop and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I dread cut and buff. I have girly arms

11. Finding the money. I've practiced deferred gratification for more than 43 years, the '29 AA is still far from running and at 70 I'm now having serious doubts that I can get it on the road before they pull me off the road. But yeah, all the other stuff, too. Right now I'm on my fourth iteration of fabricating floorboards, without a bead roller or an English wheel, both of which would make the job easier and look more professional. I'll forego those and put the money into rebuilding the engine and transmission instead.

12. I have a small garage that is shared with my wife's car. Moving stuff in and out so her car is inside during winter and storm season has been no fun. The drive has pretty good angle uphill. I wish I would have bought a small tractor to move stuff about 20 years ago. :)

Just Gary likes this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

45731E15-9455-4371-AD84-ED8E8BB5A1BE.jpeg
    I did This as a “mock-up” 15 years ago. Now it’s time to finish, out with the bellybutton in with a Rocket, on with fenders , off with “Patina” on with paint.
    Fun times though shaken’ it down

BigO and lumpy 63 like this.
  14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The worst for me is greasy dismantling and dealing with a rusty exhaust removal . Most of my tinkering time lately has been on my Power Wagon with a diesel or my Harley . You know both of these would make the Valdez , seem leak tight . Greasy road grime on the Harley and a slobber hose dripping on the diesel make for lots of potty words , and tons of laundry . I guess it could be worse , I could have been sent to clean the bilge by a Marine !

Just Gary and nochop like this.
  15. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Fixing other peoples messes. Scratching fresh painted parts during assembly.

16. I don't like bodywork, so I usually don't get that far, but what really uncorks me is having to go back and trouble shoot/repair something I've already finished. An example, I love wiring, but if there is a problem I will avoid trouble shooting it for months!

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Working on it!
    Seriously I'll do as much as I can and only source out what I can't do including engine / transmission rebuild/assembly, trim and some minor body work. I know my limitations and won't even attempt colour on it however everything before that is OK, even the rubbing down. Problem solving / making things fit / work, design / fabrication and assembly etc is a walk in the park.
    Parting with my hard earned $$$ is another thing I dread however I need the parts / labour etc. Then I need to save up to spend it again. Now that I've joined the ranks of the unemployed in retirement I need to be frugal, not a tight wad, and use common sense. This may not end well because common sense isn't that common.:D:p
    However if I laid down the colour I might as well have grabbed a bucket and broom! I've too much time and money invested by this stage so I call in the experts.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  18. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Holy crap that is a mess! Hope you have lots of penetrating spray, patience, and torch gas!!

19. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Under dash work!

20. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

DSCF7473.JPG DSCF7474.JPG
    Whole lot of patience, spray , big hammer, and parts car. no torch yet. heres the powerglide.

21. gene-koning

gene-koning

My goal is to get a good driver, perfection not required! That sure makes everything easier!
    I can and have done everything myself, but there sure are parts I would rather not do. I'll install a good running motor rather then rebuild one (the use of modern motors makes that easier). Being a line mechanic and a welding shop owner for all of my life leaves me with a lot of experience, a bit of knowledge, and a lot of learned wisdom.
    I can do all the structural and metal work a car (or truck) might require, and I can do, and understand body work and painting, but my patience only allows me to do the body work for a short time, then I'm done. That makes the paint look pretty bad, so I usually use cheap paint, which needs to be redone in 3-4 years. Then I can do a bit more body work before I throw more paint at it. By the 3 or 4th round, the body starts looking pretty good. Upholstery work sucks, I dislike doing most of it. My stuff tends to have in insulation in it, and maybe door panels. Some junk yard seats are pretty nice, cheap carpet on the floors and I'm OK with it.
    I suspect my recent retirement will present the dislike of taking so long to be able to buy the parts I will need for it. Gene

1959Nomad likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man at first I was going to say taking stuff apart. Like driving out kingpins and perch pins out of axles that have been sitting longer than I’ve been alive.

But you always win that battle with a torch and a big hammer.

So I gotta say wet sanding paint getting ready to cut and polish. It’s tedious, easy to fuck up, and if you dick it up real bad you get to do a hell of a lot of extra work.

23. All the dumb questions at the drive-in, Is that a Merc when its a Hudson etc.

24. I've been a mechanic, done body and paint, a welder, and even worked a bit with canvas and leather, but I hate replacing rusty floors and don't like building engines I can do it, just don't like it..

25. norms30a

norms30a

Measuring, with no training in any kind of mechanical stuff I worry about measuring wrong. From installing a patch panel or welding something to a frame, fitting parts, you name it I measure 10,000 times sometimes I walk away and come back the next day to measure some more after sleeping on it.

26. olds vroom

olds vroom

Definitely wiring

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

The37Kid likes this.
  27. 29moonshine

29moonshine

motor or trans the rest I enjoy

28. I hate tearing stuff apart...once I can start putting parts back onto it...I feel much better...

Then the wiring is never been my bag...I don't understand it and I have never understood it...I stumble badly with it...

Then actually driving them...never been a fan of driving them...

Yes I know I am weird but I am what I am ...

MikeC

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad I'm not alone Mike! Wiring will always be a total mystery. Driving leads to braking things, and I never enjoy redoing anything. Bob

30. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

The worst part is after spending a year or two Buying and Building , hitting all the swapmeets , not finding the quality parts you wanted , dealing with the jerks at DMV . then totaling up what you spent $ and realizing , you could have taken less than half the money and bought a nice finished car with a title and drove away the first day .

Just Gary and The37Kid like this.