Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Looks like a In-N-Out evening

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, May 11, 2019.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Big money at a burger joint? LOL I've tried In and Out twice on recents trips to Disneyland. Now I know everyone has their preferences but those burgers were some of the worst I've ever eaten. Super low budget IMO. Don't understand it when people line up for hours when the I and O burger mobile unit shows up. For me up here there's White Spot, the CDN version of A and W, and, though a little less convenient but my favourite, Walley's Burgers. Those driving up this way for Deuce Days should check them out (Whalley's only available on the lower mainland/Vancouver area).

2. Those were only around for a year or so after I started driving. Man, I miss the cheese burrito......probably better they closed or I would be dead from a cheese clot by now.

Holy crap, I just looked the menu and they have the cheese burrito again.....time to shorten my lifespan. :)
    [​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser and 51 mercules like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flathead Dave likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I've found 5 Guys burgers and fries to be some of the better burgers out there.
    As I said before there are plenty of other great choices.
    Fuddruckers is pretty good too.

5. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

My tip is the "Habit" the "Santa Barbara Charburger" is the bomb. Fatburger if you can find one is great. Tommy's for chili cheese burgers...always bring rolaids with you.

6. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I would probably be dead too. Loved their cheese burrito too and the Macho Nacho's.. There was one in Riverside on 14th and Brockton. I worked down the street from it and used to cruise Market. Would eat lunch there and eat there after cruising on the weekends.

7. 63galaxie406

63galaxie406

In-n-Burger is a company has no franchise stores. Starts is employees at $15.00. Never saw a pissed off employee or one with an attitude at an In-n-Out. I went to my first one in 1969 in Covina.

Flathead Dave and Sky Six like this.
  8. I have to agree, 5 Guys does put out a good burger. Stopped at one last September on my way back from the Hot Rod Hill Climb.

9. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Not to derail this thread but do you ever eat at Rosa Maria’s ? The meat rice and cheese burritos are the best ever. When I lived out there it was a family institution for us.

10. Latigo

Latigo

Excited to see a new drive in opening this month in La Pine, Oregon.
    Coaches Drive In
    Old fashioned burgers and shakes, the sign says.
    Hope it’s a true drive-in and hot rod friendly. Met the owner. Young fellow anxious to make it go.

11. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Yes I ate there, mostly at the one in San Bernardino on40th and Sierra. There's also one in Redlands.

12. Lil32

Lil32

we are flying over and will be there in 2 weeks

DSCN4615.JPG

13. Fellow SoCal guys talking about In-N-Out... there's a cruise night every Thursday at the In-N-Out in Torrance on Hawthorne Blvd. It's getting pretty big.

1stGrumpy likes this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Last Saturday in So Cal, it was a nice night in certain areas. This year, the weather, like other places in the USA has been different. In May, the spring storms and moisture is usually gone with a clear night, excellent for cruising around. With the April showers, it is usually May flowers and cool nights. But, again, the weather is fairly predictable, only not this year, so far. If the weather guy says slight sprinkles, it could be rain on the coast, clear inland and sprinkling in the valleys. There are coastal hills and mountain ranges that play havoc with the weather patterns.

As area continues to grow, the old days favorites always take a licking. What used to be a nice place, is now a war zone. The same for “foodies.” What used to be a fun place to go just because of it being a cool hamburger stand location is now blasted with so many locations that it is getting to the saturation point. What was once one in and out in South Orange County, is now more than on one hand. For a small area, that is saturation. You can’t tell by looking at those in the 7-10 car line ups between 11 am and noon at most locations. It isn’t that good.

Jnaki

For us as teenagers, hamburgers were a staple. French fries were the next on the list. Our forays to other drive in restaurants always brought out a comparison to the original Grissinger’s hamburger. So, we decided that Oscar’s, Hody’s, Merle’s, and even Kens Burgers in Bixby Knolls around the corner from Grissinger’s all had quality hamburgers. Sitting in our cars, the flavor and hunger were mixed and served to always hungry teenagers. There was no “best” hamburgers.

Besides, for the teenagers that knew the score with our dates, Grissinger’s was the place to be seen, but Russell’s Hamburger Restaurant just down the street had the best hamburgers that catered to the opposite sex, all of the time. Slam dunk and contest over… ha! Besides, who remembers the hamburgers at Grissinger’s? Everyone remembers the best meal there was the big, thick French Fries with brown gravy on top. That was the meal of the day and night.

The finicky So Cal weather strikes again. It is predicted to rain Wed/Thur/Fri/ but for Saturday night’s Nitro Revival many miles inland, it is supposed to be clear. Maybe it is the smell of Nitro that scares the clouds away. If and when you are hungry, there may be an In and Out at your disposal for the Friday night set up event, even with the predicted sprinkles.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

We visit the Phoenix area every March for a few weeks. Our trip would not be complete without a stop at In & Out Burger. Go online for the secret menu.:D

16. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Saturday morning, the old Stater's Bros parking lot Mentone
    As mentioned most In&Out's are not Hot Rod Friendly, their parking lots are almost always full of 'normal' buyers.

17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The burger joint that gets my business routinely... IMG_20190516_064340717_HDR.jpg cracks me up...their address is above the door...
    12345 Central AV on old US 66

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

JeffB2 likes this.
  18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Saw em in Texas-Ft Worth area near an In-N-Out, my cousin Kenny opened the In-N-Out Distribution Warehouse there, I kept asking him about
    “Whataburger”? He said that he’s never eaten there.....Driving on home to California I saw one in Las Cruces,NM. was tempted to give it a shot, decided to look em up, found one in Tucson,AZ. Just off the 10 a bit. So dropped on in...way better than expected ;).
    I got a bacon burger. Different from In-N-Out.
    I hope that they decide to keep making their way here to California, We need one in TC!!!!!!

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  19. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Blake's Lot A Burgers are real good also had a pretty tasty "Bowl of Red" when we passed through La Cruces they have locations now in Tucson so hope they will get to Phoenix someday. You can check out Cruising spots here in Arizona with good eats here: http://www.cruisinarizona.com/cruisenites.htm I do get Whataburger Biscuit & Gravy cravings at times though.

20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

All three are good stuff. The nearest Tommy's for me is in Ontario at Mountain and the 60. Have a Fatburger right around the corner from In-N-Out where I live and the Habit at Eastvale. YUM!

Can't stand 5 Guy's. Bad tasting crap.

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

The McDonald Brothers started a little further up Rte 66. In Arcadia/Monrovia with their Aerodrome which was a Bar-Be-Que joint started by their dad near the Monrovia airport. Being a drive-in and really being near a Carpenters Drive-In was pretty competitive as Carpenter’s served “Chicken in Rough” which was a trademarked recipe. They picked and moved that operation to 14th & E Streets in San Bernardino where a non corporate museum carries on the origins by the Juan Pollo Chicken Chain
    The Mc Donald’s were both wise, yet not as sharp to ways of a fast talking Multi-Mixer salesman who already knew that the brothers started franchises in late 52 for early 53 openings with their new Golden Arches architecture penned by Fontana CA. Architect Stanley Meston, That buildings design changed fast food as we know it today and that’s a full 4 years after they created the fast food speedy self service super system. 159F07F3-899F-4FE9-B051-2EEFB53873D6.png (909 E. Main Street Alhambra, CA. #3 in the chain a New Style Store stands on this site today.
    The Firestone store still exists across the street).

Those franchises never carried the post 1955 Kroc agreements not until every last one was closed.....or sold to the McD Corp. including the Downey CA. store which was sold in 1990. It in itself has quite a story..... Mc Donald’s Corp opened the main Hamburger University in Il. Later having one in San Diego where Ray eventually relocated to wreak havoc on Jack in the Box-his own words as written in “Grinding it out”.
    We could get into In-N-Out’s orgins, but we’ll keep this pretty short In-N-Out started its own University in its hometown of Baldwin Park CA. Where they did indeed train their employees by serving actual customers in their cars, eventually demolishing that training facility to build a state of the art full service and normal operating hours instead of the lunch crowd hour that was at the previous training facility.

22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The brother's moved their dad's business to San Bernardino in 1947 as "McDonald's BBQ" and December 12, 1948, renamed it "McDonald's". Maurice and Richard McDonald opened their hamburger stand at 13th and E Street in San Bernardino and began selling burgers for 15 cents. Ray Kroc was one of the brothers vendors who eventually saw the opportunity and bought the brothers out. (basically stole the business from the McDonald Bro's. and was hated in the industry until his death)

Now a museum.

What I also find interesting is that McDonald's and Carl Karcher aka Carl's Jr., began as hot dog vendors.

Thank God for Der Wienerschnitzel.

I am also interested in the connection between Taco Bell, Taco Tia, Del Taco, Naugles where the "macho combos" of Del Taco are currently from and Der Wienserschnitzel. All are intertwined. All were friends and coworkers and employers and employees of each other. Cool history.

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Since your “Tip is The Habit SB Char” I’ll ask you to look at their original Spanish Tiled Roof location in Goleta. Once you try their chili burger, it’ll make you a convert from Tommy’s and I’m a dyed in the wool Tommy’s burger fiend!!! Problem is it’s proprietary only to that location........

24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Re-Started as-they originally opened in 1940 as a Bar B Que Beef drive-in selling burgers on trays with car hops, the 86’d the car hops and hopped up their menu the rest is history....

I don’t think that they Mac or Dick sold Hot Dogs as after they were employed as set builders for the studios and left to go into business for theirselves then ventured into buying a movie theater on Glendora-formerly Michigan Ave and Foothill on the S-W corner in the town of Glendora which was a citrus town then.
    A plaque is placed Caddy Corner from its site to give one a perspective of where it once stood.
    The Hot Dog vendor out front made more money than the theatre so they offed the theater and bought the Aerodrome from their father further East in Monrovia/Arcadia by the Airport and near Santa Anita Race Track.
    Ray Kroc just was one of their vendors as they used Hamilton Beach Malt Machines as well to make actual malts, when Ray changed from real ice cream to a substitute the brothers blew a gasket....how often do Mc Donald’s employees indicate that the ice cream machine is inop????? I can’t count that high.......

25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

They sold hotdogs along with their burgers and then ditched the hot dogs when they figured out that they made more money from the burgers. It's all in their history bio as to when they moved the bbq joint to San Bernardino and opened the first McDonald's.

Their dad's business was not McDonald's but his bbq joint.

History is history and not Wikipedia.

Yeah, their ice cream machines are down a lot. It's almost always the gaskets not being properly lubed which makes them leak if not the finger bolts not being tight enough. So instead of the crew and their know nothing lacking management taking the time to trouble shoot the machines they would rather shut them down for the day. It screws up the sales for the day and McDonald's Corp. doesn't like that.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Flathead Dave,
    Kool info that you’ve shared. Thank you. Mine didn’t come from Wiki, I used to eat @ 3 of the original restaurants, Alhambra,Azusa & Downey, which was actually saved through The Mod-Com & Downey Conservancy and we auto Enthusiasts. I also took on another iconic save on Firestone Bl. I used to chat with the owners about the history of McDonald’s and that’s how I came to learn about McDonald’s, coincidentally my former wife’s uncle was Bill Moore, owner of Golden State Foods, supplier to McDonald’s restaurants worldwide with a company that he started in 1947.
    Here’s info from the Monrovia Patch Newspaper. D4CC3995-42DA-4BC3-B722-58C92113CC7A.jpeg and a letter from Dick. 6E229AD3-0A88-4CB3-845C-BC0576FDE378.jpeg 2563C08A-BC7C-4634-825E-082347BFD7A0.jpeg A24358B3-EBBB-4480-9E49-6CE275E716C1.jpeg I’m not saying that their restaurant(s) didn’t sell hot dogs, just that I was aware of that fact. I did hear that some of their earliest franchises sold chicken, burritos & even pizza.
    Thanks for walk down history lane. ;).

27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

See Glen Bell. He is the direct link to all of the above.
    We even were in the caravan of the move of the original Taco Bell Downey to Irvine. I think you and I both really like Fast Food history ;).

28. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Which In-N-Out do you go to? I sometimes go to Poway.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

I ate at the Fatburger in Eastvale last night!

30. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Not that you used WIKI...That's what others tend to believe in. The problem with WIKI, is that anyone can add or delete to it so who knows what is really said in it.

Speaking of chicken and things sold at McDonald's. I know a franchisee in Columbus Ohio, who thought he was going to get away with selling his own bbq chicken and ribs out of his store. "McCorp" got wind of it and pulled his license to operate. They don't mess around.

So much history for the fast food fan. McDonald's especially as it is noted around the globe.

The local customs of how the food is prepared in each country. The different styles of condiments used and flavors of the meats.

I'm happy that In-N-Out remains in America.

I was going to open a burger joint. I was going to call it "RACERS". Of course it would have had a car theme some what like Mel's. I was going to have a decent menu like In-N-Out. Just burgers and fries and drinks nothing fancy with good prices and good music with local bands...Have monthly car shows and weekly car get togethers on the weekends with family fun of parking lot games...And I'm sure impromptu car shows of clubs or individuals just showing up to show off their rods...But life got in the way. SIGH...

I'm always looking for a decent property with a restaurant on it in the Riverside area. I just might still do it.

Lil32 likes this.