Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest What part of building a car do you dread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 17, 2019.

1. I love building cars, I love the designing, laying awake in bed and dreaming, building the chassis & doing the metal work, I even enjoy the wiring but when it comes to body work that's where I have a problem, I have tried most of my adult life and I just can't get the body smooth enough for the paint to look right.

I have friends that do killer work and they have done their best to teach me but they have been unsuccessful.

That's a big reason my user name is HOTRODPRIMER because many of my hot rods ended up that way due to impatience on my part. HRP

1959Nomad, trollst, wicarnut and 9 others like this.
  2. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. Sandblasting. "Finished" my car 2 years ago and I'm sure I'm still getting the sand out of my ears. Not going to build another car until I can afford to pay someone to do that part for me.

5. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Wiring, its tedious and I always screw something up.

osage orange, 3W JOHN, Hombre and 2 others like this.
  6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Tear down, especially if it runs and drives

Happydaze, BigO, osage orange and 3 others like this.
  7. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Figuring out how to pay for it without the wife finding out!

8. 1000x this! I prefer spending hours long boarding a panel over wiring.

9. For me, bodywork....

osage orange, nochop, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  10. indcontrols

indcontrols

I'd rather wire 50 cars than deal with rust repair !

Saxman, hennmann, Tim and 7 others like this.
  11. topher5150

topher5150

I'm dreading body work. Fortunately for me I found a donor car with solid floors so that helps

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2.
    Everytime I think I got it right , it´s still not goood enough.But the better I get at it, the more I like it...

13. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Rear ends...... gear oil. Nope, don't like it one bit.

14. Cutting/buffing final paint.

15. das858

das858

Body work , but I am improving slightly!

16. Rust repair / body work. Well it's not goin to do itself so I better get at it.

1959Nomad, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. I love the smell of 90 weight gear oil, it reminds me of race cars.

I also love wiring!
    I can't stand bodywork.
    I don't have the patience for panel fitment door gaps, window regulators ect...
    If the doors open and stay closed going down the road good enough.

18. Sporty45

Sporty45

I don't mind any of it, except fixing rust/rot, especially when it was hidden. I've ground off up to 3/8" of bondo on my Olds just to find poor metal work and rot that needs extra time to fix. I think whoever did the previous "repair" was more of a sculptor than a body man!

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Since I’m a welder/fabricator the building part of my 26 RPU was enjoyable and easy.

I dreaded the body and paint but once I got into it I learned a lot and found out that I enjoyed it.

After that I dreaded the wiring however now that I’m into it with a good kit from Rebel wire, again I’m enjoying it and like the other parts of my build is going well.

I’m going to get it together and inspected and licensed, then next winter I’ll sew the upholstery.

I think some the dread came from the fact that this is my first build from scratch fabricating the majority of everything including the chassis.

But I realize now that it’s not really that bad :D:cool:

AC11600E-73FB-4C48-9215-787D0C8C12DC.jpeg
    4EB9770E-0876-47FF-B0DB-6C5D6108E622.jpeg
    A28EBB5D-DB0B-4A71-8849-CCB8EEE691D7.jpeg

20. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Welding up lengthy replacement body panel spot welds for me , back & forth for what seems like an eternity . I’m just not into panel bond epoxy’s. Flux

21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I call the "coal miner" stage. Everything you work on in the early stages is dirty, greasy and grimy, so you come out of the shop looking like a coal miner every day until you get past that stage. I enjoy doing it all except painting. I don't paint any more than I have to and I don't do upholstery....yet. Hopefully, I won't ever have to but it's really hard to find a good upholsterer. Most are retiring.

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I wired 3 cars last year, a 350 powered '30 A coupe on TCI chassis; a '40 Ford tudor sedan w/389 Pontiac; and a T bucket.
    Would you believe the '40 was easiest...just more 'open space' for where I wanted to place stuff. I've wired (from scratch) since 1956. Still like it.
    He had a fender off the '40, left rear...some cancer there, at the studs top front of fender well.
    I cut a strip out, then cut a matching 'patch strip', (18 ga. aluminum killed from Modesto steel) and welded it in, oxy-acet, my Victor Aircraft set.
    Owner/builder said, "Hey, can I hire you to do the front where the hood fits?"
    My answer: "Not for a million..."
    I can do a little, but it's not my favorite. I could do it all, but I'd hate it.

23. I suppose I must dread finishing one. I don't like the tedious details that need to be finished to call a car finished. I guess thats why every one of my cars still has some finishing touches yet to be accomplished. When I get one 95-99% done, I leave it and start another.

24. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Body work. Really enjoy the metal work part! Hate the body puddy and sanding part. Put too much on then sand too much off.

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

taking $$ out of my wallet to pay for anything - never add up receipts

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

27. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

So true!! Also, never allow the wife to see the pile of receipts or total.

28. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Stripping paint and rust. When I had my big shop I had an in house plastic media blasting booth and system, another booth was set up with a 600 pound sand blaster and all where supplied air by a large desil air compressor. When I decided enough was enough with dealing with suppliers and employees and CUSTOMERS!! I sold the big shop and my down draft spray booth and my commercial blasting equipment . So now its air sanders and a 100 pound blaster supplied by a couple 10 hp compressors and working outside. What I use to do in a couple hours now takes a couple weeks!! It SUCKS!!! Larry

29. louisb

louisb

Body work and paint.

30. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Taking 55 year old parts apart that have set it the dirt the last 42 years. the rest is easy. DSCF7406.JPG

Baumi, D-Russ, mgtstumpy and 7 others like this.