Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Howling jet noise at rest end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joseangel_1976, May 16, 2019.

1. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

What up guys I was using my 62 Cadillac as a daily driver and she is running smooth except theres a couple of things that I need to fix. One is that I'm hearing this bowling jet noise from the rear end. My dad told me he took it to the shop about a year ago, and replaced the rear end oil. I haven't really cheked to confirm, so I'm wondering if the shop really swapped the rear end oil this was about 2 yrs ago and that was the only time I have ever had it. Can it be that the rear end oil is bad or could it just be my wheEl bearings? :( I heard this rear ends are non repairable or that they are sealed rear ends and u can't change the bearings. I believe it's a possi rear end. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Pics of ‘62 Caddy?

Differential oil isn’t hard to change. Smelly and a bit messy, but not hard. Should last more than two years though. Most cars never get the diff oil changed, and keep right on going. You could check the owner’s manual or factory service manual to see what the recommended change interval is.

Posi vs. open differential, you can quickly and easily find out what you have. Jack up the back end so that both wheels are off the ground. Turn one by hand and watch the other one. If they both rotate the same direction, it’s a posi. If they rotate opposite, it’s an open diff. Open is much more common, and likely, but anything is possible.

If it’s a posi, and if the gear oil was replaced without that information, it could be that you need a bottle of “friction modifier”.

There are very few things on a car, any car, that can’t be repaired or replaced. It may cost you in time or money (or both), but your rear end can be diagnosed and repaired.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, Cosmo49 and loudbang like this.
  3. s-l1600.jpg Don't waste your time thinking you can repair,...posi is rare... look for a replacement from a 57 up, yoke change may be required depending on replacement year...I think ratios are 2.94 or 3.21 depending on A/C equipped or not...

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Have you checked the oil level?

Deuces and belair like this.

5. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Where can I get the friction modifier? I don't remember having this noise when I would drive it in California. I mean I don't remember. Is this friction modifier u talking about is lucas?

6. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

I haven't checked yet last time I tried to take it off with pliers I wasn't able to take the bolt out lol I know I just bought the socket 2 weeks ago but gonna try again if I can take the bolt off. I'm hoping I'm just low on gear oil.

7. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Thanks for the info I appreciate it ☺

8. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Gear oil is not a consumable. If it’s low, it went somewhere. Even without removing the fill plug, you should be able to see evidence of a leak.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. If it is howling it’s beyond an oil issue, topping it up or changing it won’t fix the noise. The Limited slip additive also has nothing to do with noise.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

427 sleeper and Hnstray like this.
  11. Couple of “IFs” to drill down —
    If it’s howling going straight down the road
    If the howling changes with road speed
    If neutral coast has no change-
    It’s most likely a bearing. Could be wheel bearings, carrier bearings and a couple more IFs to drill down pinion bearings.

If it makes noises mostly going around corners
    It’s most likely the posi unit clutches bitching because of friction modifier but corners could amplify a wheel bearing

If it’s howls on acceleration
    If coast or in neutral makes a change
    It’s most likely pinion related.
    Could be the rear u joint or pinion bearings.

Wheel bearings going bad almost always causes the seals to weep. A little at first then worse and more as the miles go and bearings wear.

David Gersic and Hnstray like this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Noise usually means the gears are worn or out of adjustment. Maybe the diff needs to be rebuilt with new bearings etc and the gears set up properly. Or maybe the gears are shot, who knows.
    Most times a noisy rear end will go on for many miles before it fails.

13. No rear end has non-replaceable bearings, they are a service part & should be readily available.

14. Don’t take this the wrong way,,,,
    You’re in way over your head and it won’t be cheap taking the car in to a shop capable of fixing it.
    You’ll need quite a bit of expensive and specialty tools

Hnstray likes this.
  15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Maybe they drained the old oil, and forgot to refill it...

Happydaze and belair like this.
  16. Low gear lube level Makes gears and bearings wear not noise.

Worn bearings and gears is what make noise

David Gersic likes this.
  17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Low lube level makes wear, no?

18. Back in the day, the preferred method to quieten down a howling Rear end was to stuff it with banana peelings.
    Not recommended today.

ffr1222k likes this.
  19. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beat me to it!!!! :)
    Chris

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I thought it was sawdust? Or was that just for transmissions?

21. Right, low lube makes wear

Wear makes THE noise
    ADDING LUBE DOES NOT REVERSE WEAR.

57 Fargo likes this.
  22. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

23. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Haha my brother is a mechanic, so I'm sure he can help. He's plenty of expensive equipment. ;)

24. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Thats what I was thinking will check it tomorrow

25. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Yea it's what I was thinking. I did notice the cadillac's u joint has a wheel bearing at the pinion where the drive shaft meats the rear end. Just looked it up.

26. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

It's what I was thinking will check tomorrow

27. When you say "wheel bearing" do you mean "tapered bearing"? All rear ends have a bearing of some sort there. Before removing that, get yourself a copy of the shop manual, learn about bearing pre-load, etc, and save yourself a lot of pain & money.

28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Jose, as mentioned earlier, if it is low it is already too late, and you are going to find worn out parts that will need replaced. A lot of people I know will try to get by with the bare minimum amount of gear oil, and then don't bother to check it regularly. Driving old vehicles with original seals is taking a risk that those seals will fail. I believe it is better to have all the lube in the housing that can be put in it through the fill plug hole, giving you a little bit more to lose before you hit the critical "too low, now burnt up" level. Remember also, if you lock up the pinion bearings, your rear is locked up.

29. Let your brother fix it.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  30. As said already, if it’s howling it’s already fucked...waste of time worrying about oil but is it actually the drive axle howling?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

31Vicky with a hemi and leon bee like this.