Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Am I gonna hafta pull the windshield and back glass?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, May 16, 2019.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am changing the color of the interior on mama's 55 Ford Customline. With that said, I remember from years back that some cars required the front and back glass being pulled to install the headliner. Please tell me I don't have to do that. This started out as a minor update.....I just want to install a white headliner.

loudbang likes this.
  2. oldolds

oldolds

Sorry, you need to pull the glass to do it correctly. The headliner staples in the pinchweld under the rubber. The guy that used to do my work said glue alone would not hold. He had 50 years exp. I trusted what he said.

3. j3harleys

j3harleys

Good time to install new gaskets. Cut the old rubber to get the glass out with out breaking it. It will cost a little more but its money well spent. Good luck

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

DANG IT!!!!!!

OK, kinda what I thought. It has fairly new rubber in it. Guess its a good time for a respray, while I am it. Did ya'll see what just happened?

HunterYJ, j3harleys, scotty t and 3 others like this.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Root: Be cautious in ordering rubber gaskets!!! "Steele rubber" is the best, they specialize in 'classics'. Not cheap, but excellent.
    Heck, do it once.

Johnny Gee and Roothawg like this.
  6. belair

belair

It will be fun after it's over. Just makin memories, Root. I feel your pain. MAYBE dye it? probably not, but maybe.

Roothawg likes this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good advice. I was gonna paint the dash anyway. Now I don't have to worry about staying away from the glass.

belair likes this.
  8. egads

egads

If you are careful and the rubber is still fairly soft you should be able to get them out. Lube and two people would help. I've done it before and I don't do glass work.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

While we are talking about this, who makes a good fit headliner? I bought carpet from Stock Interiors and was less than impressed.

And what would a late 50's custom have had in it? Perforated or not? I only remember seeing perforated as a kid, but I am a 68 model.

10. Well, I don't know much but I have installed quite a few headliners in older cars. The only one I ever pulled the glass on was a '67 Mustang.

Roothawg likes this.
  11. Root, you don't have to remove the windshield & back glass to replace the headliner.

I don't have the heart to tell you the truth and you did say please. :rolleyes: HRP

mountainman2, OLSKOOL57 and Roothawg like this.
  12. belair

belair

it's a lot easier if you take the front seat out. It's not near as much fun as you think it iw.

Roothawg likes this.
  13. Root, I am well aware of Stock Interiors, I went to their address which is about 30 miles from me in Seneca ,South Carolina to purchase the material and carpet for our wagon, after searching high and low I found them, nothing more than a post office box at a UPS store.

I have no idea were they are and with some of the product I have seen I'm glad I couldn't find them. they have poor reviews. HRP

OLSKOOL57 and Roothawg like this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Moriarity, belair and Sancho like this.
  15. I remember white perforated headliner was the "in" thing for 50s cars back when I was in high school. Thats what I bought for my 56 avatar. Only I haven't gotten around to putting it in yet. I don't think the Chevy needs the back glass out but since I quit working on it I haven't researched it yet.

Roothawg likes this.
  16. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have bought some Steele rubber for my 55 along with some from carpenter and others. I don't see the difference myself. I recently had a discussion with a friend who has built lots of 55/56 fairlanes and his comment about rubber was that he had used door seals from all of them and they all appeared to be the same. I did notice that Steeles door seals for my Sunliner were almost double the price of Carpenters for the same item.

Roothawg likes this.
  17. IIRC you don't have to pull the windshield but you do need to pull the rear window...

Roothawg and 56premiere like this.
  18. You might as update the motor/trans while you’re at it, better brakes would be nice. Oh yeah new dual exhaust would be real cool.

Don’t hate me, it was a joke!

belair and Roothawg like this.
  19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^Yep, and send out all the chrome for replating.
    Headliner install as well as glass R&R are right up there with block sanding in some of my least enjoyable, tedious tasks.

scotty t and Roothawg like this.
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a motor, tranny and rear end, all rebuilt, waiting for the right time.

scotty t likes this.
  22. Charlietruck62

Charlietruck62

Roothawg likes this.
  23. Probably time for a new paint job/color change!

Roothawg likes this.
  24. j3harleys

j3harleys

You can't just do one thing, Its against the rules. might as well order a wire kit while your at it.:D Good luck

Roothawg likes this.
  25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I do it for a living as well. I have never told anybody they had to remove a windshield or a rear window. I tell them only if they want to, then do it. Never had a problem with the headliners coming loose. I always install a tackstrip to staple to when ever possible. And always replace old tackstrips. I only order headliners from ACME Auto Headlining. Even if I only need a pattern as well. Carpet. I only order from Auto Custom Carpets. You might have to be a dealer to order from both of these places.

Sancho, 56don and Roothawg like this.
  26. 54vicky

54vicky

do not forget to update the air in the tires while you are changing things.

Roothawg and belair like this.