Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Automatic or Straight drive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 15, 2019.

1. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I like a stick. Lots of reasons, but probably my biggest is that with a stick, you'll almost never be stuck somewhere because of trans issues (unless it's real bad). Lose your clutch linkage? Start it in gear and shift without the clutch. First gear go out? Odds are good you can put it in second or third and limp it home. Lots of options with a stick, not so much with an auto.

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I like them both, have both. The large trucks old and OT tow have autos. Street roadster auto/over throw into gear an drive. I pulled the auto out of the 40 truck and put the sag back in.
    My 12 mile commute is easy so a stick in my almost old Ranger,,,, but...
    Every three months I have to drive 82 miles to UCLA Medical Center, Map Quest says it is an hour drive, but in reality it is a almost 4 hour drive through the Middle of Los Angeles Stop-and-Go,,, not something you want to do with a stick, not something anyone should do.

3. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

I have always liked shifting gears, from mt 1962 MG to My 1966 Mustang to Danny's Falcon Sprint, but my very favorite car to run through the gears is my Ranch Wagon, I love it and sometimes surprise the kid's in the next lane. the old grandma just beat them at the light in a station wagon. Ha.ha.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You go, Girl! :)

5. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Just remember, driving in heavy, stop and go traffic with a clutch sucks and is hard on the clutch.
    Something to keep in mind.

6. What with the traffic anymore, I got tired of clutch pedals a long time ago.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brenda banging gears in the station wagon LOL. That's great.

Yes sir, I remember when almost no hot rodder wanted an automatic transmission, even long after automatics were improved enough to be faster at the drag strip. But automatics have become prevalent for good reasons.

Still, for me, a straight shift... or "stick shift" as we would say around here... has always been extra fun.
    I like the control.
    I like the cool shift knobs... not the goofy skulls and stuff... but the traditional as well as the beautiful resin knobs with any number of things embedded in them.
    I like the various kinds of shift levers too. I think I'll use a tall tapered old truck lever on my Chrysler. Heat it and give it a nice curve. Simple, understated, elegant, traditional.

I consider real hot rods and customs to be time machines of sorts. I gotta have a stick shift to be able to travel back in time. I don't live there... but I sure like to visit sometimes.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. I hear ya Rick. :D HRP

9. I shied away from a stick for a few years because of my legs. But with the newer hydraulic clutches you can get a lot of clutch without much leg action.

I use whatever I got and am usually happy with it. I have played with a lot of stuff over the years and have my own formula to get me down the road and what works well is what I lean toward.

mgtstumpy, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. What transmission was in the pusher? HRP

OLSKOOL57 and Deuces like this.
  11. GuyW

GuyW

....My daddy taught me not to be shiftless....

31hotrodguy, LAROKE and Deuces like this.
  12. RmK57

RmK57

Using a C6 in my 57 for the street but always wanted to try a Jericho or G- force for drag racing on the weekends.

mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  13. humm use a C4 in both and I ain't complainin DSC02194.JPG

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and mgtstumpy like this.
  14. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Have a T5 in my Roadster, but since my left hip replacement & the invading arthritis, IMG_5649.JPG considered replacing with a 200R or 700R, even bought a Flathead to Chevrolet adapter from Hot Head. Decided to sell it - it really needs to keep the 5 speed.

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and mgtstumpy like this.
  15. CruZer

CruZer

Tremec 5 speed stick in my 57.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Auto in both my rods, powerglide in the 30, TH350 in the 47 coupe. Like others, I shifted gears for a living for years, I've also had several OT muscle cars with big blocks and 4 speeds. I've done my share of shifting and have nothing to prove to anyone. If you need a manual trans to prove your masculinity, you have problems.

As cramped as the 30 pickup is, I'm damn glad it's an auto. I can shift it manually if I want, or leave it in Drive and let it shift itself. One thing is for sure, I'm not losing any speed from it. As light as that car is it just sh*ts n gets when I nail it. It's been proven over and over that an auto shift is faster than a manual.

The 47 has plenty enough room in it for a manual shift, but it came to me with the auto, and I'm not about to convert it to a stick; but I'd drive it that way if it had it, no biggie. I do still like shifting gears, I just have no need to have to have it.

Deuces and Gman0046 like this.
  17. patterg2003

patterg2003

I had to check out the straight transmission. Its the first time that I every heard a manual, standard, stick shift, 3 in the tree or 4 on the floor referred to as a straight transmission. I enjoy shifting up and down through the gears. The clutch and transmission does get stiff at 35 below though. :)

18. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

If I build a large car that has luxury(Caddy or Chrysler), a automatic is a must.

Light weight cars seem to haul ass better with a 4 speed. And are way more fun to rip through corners and get sideways with when you can utilize the clutch to apply power when you want it.

And after towing with my Diesel with a six speed manual, I want no other!!!

An empty truck is easier with a five speed though... Less rowing.

Automatics in trucks seem to heat up quicker on a grade if you have a load.... Hmmmm I am torn.

***So, I suppose truck transmissions are best suited by application***

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  19. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I wanna drive it!!! Freaking bad ass combo!

Deuces likes this.
  20. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Hmmm. Ironhead XLCH perhaps... Had 3 of them. Now all my Harley's are electric start.

Deuces and s55mercury66 like this.
  21. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I am having the joy to drive through LA twice this week for work. Both times happened to be with my OT automatic car and truck. I have done it with my 6 speed OT Cummins, but the clutch is so easy, it didn't bother me to do it.

22. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Deuces likes this.
  23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Well my everyday driver is a 5 speed , my 32 is an auto at this point . I have everything but the shifter to install a SROD Ford in it . The shifter is tougher than Ray Charles ,threadin a needle to locate .

Deuces and classiccarjack like this.
  24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

3-speed with overdrive. Keeps me busy.

31hotrodguy and classiccarjack like this.
  25. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

IMG_0203.JPG T700r, my OT drivers are stick, autos a nice change in traffic.

Deuces likes this.
  26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Mostly, but we also Sportsterized our big twins back in the day too. That electric starter and larger battery was too much excess weight. A couple of us liked to revert Electra Glides back to Duo Glide status, if only to show off for the girls when starting them, and of course, all of our cars had 4 speeds also. You gotta look cool, man, right? :)

27. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Heck ya man!!!

But now... When I build my 1952 and 1953 Panheads, I am going to modernise the bikes to be electric starts. The last hyper-extended knee made me change my mind. Ouch... It takes so long to recover now. I just can't walk off the pain anymore.

Deuces likes this.
  28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

An old friend still has his 80 ci Low Rider from 1980. We, of course pulled the starter off, and he traded it for an air cleaner and some drag pipes. A couple years ago he reversed course and pulled the kicker arm off, and reinstalled a starter. My, how times change as we age.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    ffr1222k, classiccarjack and Deuces like this.
  29. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

So true! So true!

30. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-6-9_4-2-53.png 1958
    Hello,

We all have our preferences. The 58 Impala was fun to drive as a 3 speed stick. The coordination of watching the starter, letting the clutch out, the throttle and keeping the car straight all made it exciting. Then slamming the gear shift lever added to the first three things... kept the feeling going to the finish line. If by chance a shift was not timed correctly, that gave the advantage to the opponent. Add in all of the excitement of the motor, the two cars, the approach, the illegality of the coming action...and it was a recipe for something to happen.

But, there was no way to lose to anyone once the C&O Stick Hydro was installed and the other modifications were done. Horsepower, there was plenty of it, when needed and the concentration was purely on the start. What a start that C&O gave over the opponent on the other lane. The approximate "seconds" from eyesight to foot on the throttle reaction, was all it took to get off of the line as fast as possible.

upload_2019-6-9_4-32-36.png
    “The final version for the 58 Impala was the stock column 3 speed shift lever, now shifting the custom C&O Stick Hydro. You just had to know where each gear was as the selector area at the base of the dash/column was blank. Most of the time it was in the final drive gear, but since it was a C&O, we could shift through all gears in a race if we wanted to be like manual transmission guys. It was similar in characteristics to the modern BMW M3 SMG Drivelogic automatic or the auto/manual DCT transmissions.”

“In the factory, stock, hydramatic form, despite which gear it was in, at the peak rpms, it just shifted into the next appropriate gear. Tried it many times in Pontiacs and other GM cars and were surprised at the results. But, in the C&O, if you did not shift out of the gear, it would not automatically shift itself out of that gear and could possibly blow.”

“In drag racing, too much excitement was there, so, usually the C&O was left in Drive to make things easier. More concentration was put on the start techniques on the street or at the drags. At Lions, the difference between the full auto selector and manually going through the gears had differences. The full auto was faster overall in E.T. The 4:56 gears were also different than the 4:11s, with the former being quicker, but the latter being a better ride on the street.”

It was fun racing against my friend that just purchased the new 1961 Chevy 409 Biscayne. After weeks of teaching him to shift the 4 speed, getting good starts and trying to do the speed shifts while going down the road, he was confident enough for a race or two. Not all of the time, but someone had to show him some competition. We knew he was nervous with his new car, new technique and all of that 409 power.
    upload_2019-6-9_4-33-50.png 1962
    So, when the races started, the C&O got me off of the line by a car length and through the half way point. But I knew that 409 was no match for little old 348, me. So, while being out in front, I showed him my taillights to signify a win. Then he blasted by me and it was like being left in the dust for the rest of the ¼ mile. 409 vs a measly 348? No contest…but, we knew what abbreviated battles are good for a win or two.

Jnaki

The following hot rods and more modern cars were 4 speeds, 5 speeds and even 6 speeds, until, “WHO LET THE OLD MAN IN?” My wife drove a 4 speed and 5 speed for over 20 years in her own cars, but someone “let the OLD WOMAN in, too.”…ha ha!

TrailerTrashToo likes this.