Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Sideswiped 56 merc...looking for some stainless trim

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by arbs1976, May 14, 2019.

1. arbs1976

arbs1976

So last weekend I got back to my shop from a local car show and I had my car parked well off the main super wide street and a guy driving by totally sideswiped my car... Long story short I'm looking for a rear qtr panel piece of stainless trim for a 1956 Mercury montclair. I think the trim piece is the same on both sides...

The piece that was on the car is really screwed up.. If anyone knows anyone that might be able to fix that piece you can see on the ground in the picture any contact info would be fantastic!

Or if anyone knows anyone that can weld two pieces together to make one piece that would work as I did find some trim from a 4dr.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to getting this car back to where it was before last weekend, and I know you all know the right people to help me make that happen.

Attached Files:

David Gersic likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Wow . Sorry that happened. Hope he is paying for it. I would as well surmise someone here can help. You may need to post on a Ford Mercury site or search/post on Hemmings.

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Try the Ford Barn also, eyes open here in Wyo.

4. Yikes, here's wishing you speedy success on finding the trim you need and for a successful repair!

5. Squablow

Squablow

That sucks. Did the moulding crack or does it have any holes in it? It very well might be fixable, I've fixed some incredibly smashed mouldings already. If a suitable replacement can't be found, I'd take that to a good chrome/stainless shop, maybe it can be fixed.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With your Merc you can join the Crown Victoria Owners Association. They have a monthly publication with want ads and there listings for both Ford/Merc parts. Stuff that's hard to find. Fords, Mercs, and pickups are welcome from 54-56.. Good luck. Nice Montclair...

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've a retired body shop man down here that dabbles in SS trim repairs in his spare time and is highly sought after since another similar fellow finally retired after many years repairing those moldings. They can be salvaged provided it's not too bad. In the interim sourcing another good trim could be more cost beneficial.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  8. I've met a few trim guys who you'd almost swear could fix anything, but cost goes up with degree of difficulty. Bent/dented isn't that bad, but if it's smeared flat for any distance, figure $20+ per inch for that and it still may not yield anything better than 'serviceable'. I wouldn't throw that piece away, but I'd definitely look very hard for a replacement...

9. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

Your Merc should have been in the driveway and that Toyota out in the street!!

54vicky likes this.
  10. arbs1976

arbs1976

The Toyota was the clueless guy that hit my car... I got it all on video too...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Rick & Jan likes this.
  11. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Not sure that he is still in business, but Mr Merc was around a few years back. He had relocated to Ellendale North Dakota. good supplier of anything for Merc's. Best of luck.

12. pumpman

pumpman

Man sorry that happened, really a nice Merc. Damn, our cars aren't safe anywhere now a days.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My pal Mark has a bead roller, so I cut a quick piece of hard wooden dowel on my lathe to fit the inside of the smashed molding. I didn't want to 'pick-and-file' it, unless absolutely necessary... Any hammer-forming tends to stretch the stainless, well you probably know that. Rolling it with well-fit tooling is akin to ironing a shirt. (ideally)
    Delrin, hard rubber (caster grade) is preferable, but this demands dedication and lots of time 'setting up'.
    (crazy Steve estimates $20 an inch...Hah! Damn near worth it...I wouldn't do this for a wrath of customers!)
    Imagine my grief with both sides of a '63-1/2 Galaxie!
    Only thing worse would be a '58 Olds...:eek:

14. Does Mercury Charlie in Austin, TX area deal in any mid 50's stuff?

Phil

jim snow likes this.
  15. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

We're building a '55 Montclair, making a "Mild Custom" out of it. I'm not using any of the 1/4 panel mouldings. If that piece is the same on a '55 and '56, then your welcome to mine. Let me know if I can help!

16. jim snow

jim snow

Check with @chevsotolac . He has a ton of trim pieces. Snowman

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I was taught years ago when straitening SS this take a bolt that would fit into the backside by the head and build up some body solder around it. Now you just tap the bolt along the length of the damaged area and you’d be good to go. I’ve tried it and it does a good job . I suppose bondo instead of solder might work as well.

patterg2003 likes this.
  18. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

Maybe got ahead of myself arbs, there is definitely a left and right on my '55 trim. went to the garage to make sure. Don't know about your '56.

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

How did he not see your Merc!? Texting while driving?
    I'd let his insurance Co. sweat out finding the trim for starters.

20. arbs1976

arbs1976

Thanks everyone! Does anyone know someone that can weld stainless trim? A longshot I know.. But I did manage to find some 4dr. trim that is in good shape.

Also I'm going to try the bolt trick that sounds cool. But I think my trim is toasted.

21. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

There is a guy who specializes in repair in Fort Worth. Can't think of his company right now but he show up at swap meets. I'll try to find his card.

22. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I think it's Concourse Trim 817-829-9654 http://www.concourse

Not an endorsement, but a contact anyway. Good luck.