Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rookie Question > '32 Ford Show Car

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dan Lawlor, May 13, 2019.

1. Dan Lawlor

Dan Lawlor

Please pardon a rookie question - here goes:
    I am helping a neighbor whose husband passed away two years ago. Among other things, the husband built amazing hot rod show cars. The last remaining car (1932 Ford see below) is sitting in her garage unable to start because she cannot find the key. I'm not a car guy, what should I do?
    Thank you in advance for your advice.
    Dan L

2. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Have her search a little more & then call a locksmith.

3. rudestude

rudestude

Pictures of what your working with would help ....probably the best approach, being your not familiar with the car how its wired etc. and due the least amount of damage to components, would be to get a lock Smith that makes keys for ignitions on site it will cost you but in the long run it will work out less than hacking into the system just to hot wire it and your going to need a key anyways...

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. I’d bet you can change the whole ignition switch.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.

5. oldolds

oldolds

No keys!? It is just scrap. Call me and I will remove it at no charge to your neighbor, I will even give you a six pack for the lead! :eek::rolleyes:

6. without a photo we can't be much help, does the car still have the original on/off toggle switch on the column or a aftermarket ignition switch?

I would think if the late husband built hot rods he should have some knowledgeable friends that could lend a hand, another thought would be to check with a local car club for help. HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  7. I think we're getting played here, guys.:rolleyes:

8. AND that's the name of that tune....

da34guy and F-ONE like this.
  9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Everybody knows amazing show cars do not need keys.

10. j3harleys

j3harleys

If its a after market switch go get a new one. If its a stock 32 call a good lock smith.

11. Tell her to use the hand crank below the radiator.:D

12. Probably took the key to his grave, hoping the car would be waiting for him on the other side...

greener200 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Might be legit, might not, I wonder how many have sent a PM to try and buy it ? ( deposit via Walmart is it?)
    If it’s legit don’t go putting a battery in it and connect it up wiring might be bad and start a fire, fuel lines might be bad and start a fire etc

14. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Remember the old saying, If it sounds to good to be true, usually is.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yuppers and aftermarket switch in the dash that you can unscrew the piece on the outside to take out is rather inexpensive at the parts house. If it is the original 32 switch on the base of the column, it is worth the cost of the locksmith.