Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Please need help identifying this vintage steering column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cliffmeyers, May 13, 2019.

1. cliffmeyers

cliffmeyers
    from texas

Picked this up at a recent swap meet. I was hoping to use it in my 31 Model A highboy. The shaft is 36" long and looks to have a bearing remaining in the top for a 1" shaft (missing) Id like to buy parts to get the blinker assembly, steering shaft, horn button? etc. The best I can tell it may be from an F series Ford truck.?

Hard to see but in the second picture to blinker assembly housing has a slight bulge and flat area in the rounded housing where a round hole exists

Attached Files:

2. Looks a lot like a '52 - '54 Ford. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Maybe a little later - seems like the plastic cancelling tangs that broke off appeared around the mid '50s. What year did FoMoCo go to rag joints ?

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Looks like the one in my coupe that came out of a 56 Ford pickup.

F&J and Pist-n-Broke like this.

5. IIRC, Ford started using the plastic in their turn switches around '57. I don't see a horn contact, so that dates it to '57 or older for cars, the trucks may have kept the 'through-the-shaft' horn wire for a few more years.

Pull the turn switch and look for a part number, that'll be the easiest way to identify it.

cliffmeyers likes this.
  6. cliffmeyers

cliffmeyers
    from texas

OK, I'll try that. Thanks! Odd, there is no slot in the housing for turn signal lever. Unless I'm missing more than I know.

7. Squablow

Squablow

The turn signal lever bolts on through that hole in the back side, no slot. Def. mid 50's Ford, not 100% on the exact year though.

8. The top bearing at 1" for shaft is deceiving. There is a tapered cone that slides over the 3/4" shaft and centers it in the bearing. Also there is a 2 part metal jacket that covers the signal wires on the outside of the jacket. You can get a flanged bearing at most any hardware store that fits snug in the jacket and 3/4" i.d. I call them Baby Buggy wheel bearings. I don't know the official name. They are low speed bearings. There is a spring that goes on the cone to load that top bearing and if you do things right you can use a second one on the bottom outside and capture it with lower joint to load both bearings and hold the shaft where it belongs to work the Sig. switch as needed

cliffmeyers likes this.
  9. The sig arm is slotted to pick up the 2 ears on each side of #8 (maybe 10) threaded hole.

10. cliffmeyers

cliffmeyers
    from texas

No number on the actual assembly. The wiring harness has a tag
    BP
    C1UU
    13341-A1

Which google seems to pull up results referring to 64.5 and 65 Mustang

11. cliffmeyers

cliffmeyers
    from texas

OK Thanks very much! I know a local mustang guy. If it's Mustang, he'll know.

12. Try F-100 sig switch 1954-1960

F&J likes this.
  13. 1960

14. cliffmeyers

cliffmeyers
    from texas

Apparently hard to find
    C1UU-13341-A
    1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 Ford Econoline E100 vans.

15. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

Doesn't the "C1" prefix mean 1961 in Ford part numbers?
    The part number for the directional switch year after year is 13341.
    My guess is that the "UU" and the -A designate whatever model Ford it came from.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  16. cliffmeyers

cliffmeyers
    from texas

I gather it is supposed to. I hope it's not the econoline, $175 for the turn signal assembly!

17. Looking at your photos and knowing just a little about what you have there I feel safe in saying that the switch in your housing isn't the O.E. unit that belongs there. Yes they are both Ford items but not a matched set. Must have been previously owned by a Hot Rodder.

cliffmeyers and F&J like this.
  18. cliffmeyers likes this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

C1U would refer to '61 Econoline van. If I were you, I'd just use the tube and the cone and clamp on an aftermarket turn signal switch, the kind you'd use to add turn signals to an early car that never came with them. Sure if you can find a factory Ford switch to stick in there it'd work but it might be more cost and effort than it's worth.

cliffmeyers likes this.
  20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

1965 in the F100. Other vehicles, it varies.

21. F&J

F&J

I believe True Value Hardware store here lists them as "flange bearings" (in various shaft sizes). Sometimes called wheel barrow bearings.

Pist-n-Broke and cliffmeyers like this.
  22. cliffmeyers

cliffmeyers
    from texas

Thanks for all the good info! Much appreciated!