Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rare factory"Options"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trichop, Mar 30, 2012.

1. '54 Chevy wagon with the export package (IE Corvette drivetrain). Bought it from the farmer that ordered it that way.
    '57 Ford 4 door sedan supercharged 312. I have seen two of them both runners and both originally Kansas Highway Patrol cars.
    '56 Chevy 4 door hardtop 2x4 265 belonged to a kid I went to high school with, his granddad bought it new that way.
    65 427 medium riser Galaxie, my racing buddy's dad owns it, even has the Daytona bubbles on the head lights. Ordered it new that way. The bubbles on the head lights are so rare that they don't even have a part number.

Spooky, Deuces, rjones35 and 2 others like this.
  2. noboD

noboD

My next door neighbor kid had a two toned green '57 2X4 283 four door Chevy in about '65. Was a nice looking car when he bought it.

Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  3. southcross2631

southcross2631

I worked on a 67 Camaro big block car that had a bench seat and a turbo 400 on the column.

Deuces, belyea_david and mr57 like this.
  4. noboD

noboD

My '67 Camaro has a big block, bench seat and turbo 400 on the column. I know the car since it was new.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  5. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

In my 1st full time job (18 years old) in 1972, I was a tech at a Dodge dealer in Manitowoc WI.
    MOPAR had 2 Superbirds that they would lend out to Dealerships touring local car shows.
    About 2 days before the car Show that was held in the then new JFK building in Manty, these two
    Superbirds show up. :cool: One was lime green Plymouth Superbird, but the other was a Red Daytona Dodge
    Superbird CONVERTIBLE with a wing and white bumble bee stripe around the tail.

Deuces likes this.
  6. Vanness

Vanness

A superbird vert...no way.

Spooky and Deuces like this.
  7. noboD

noboD

Don't say never. I know there was a convertible Z-28 built in 1968 so anything is possible.

loudbang and Vanness like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Was that the one-off COPO car of Vince Piggins?
    There was purportedly (one) 65 Z-16 Chevelle convertible built, I'd bet that was also a COPO car.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Ditto on the '68 Z/28 drop top... I read about that car in the late '70s and seen a few pics of it...
    I wonder what those birds, the Z/28 and that Z-16 go for these days????
    $$$$$$$$$.$$:rolleyes::(

loudbang likes this.
  10. Vanness

Vanness

I love those one off cars. Held for an exec or made for a dealers son etc. Mopar was notorious for that. The 2 4 -door 426 Hemi Belvedere 1 cars from 66 :) ring a bell.

loudbang likes this.
  11. noboD

noboD

Yes, built for Vince Piggins. I met the owner of the Z-28 at Hershey, well known Al Maynard { probably not spelled right}. He wanted a million for the car, THINK I remember it selling for $400000 after he died. I have a picture it hanging in my garage. I've heard of the Z-16, would love to see the Superbird.

loudbang likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I recall reading that GM gave that Z-16 convertible to Dan Blocker (Hoss Cartwright).
    Publicity move, don't know how true the story was.

13. noboD

noboD

He owned a yellow hardtop, it was just sold last year. He MAY have also owned a conv. I don;t know. He was a big Chevy guy in more ways then one.

14. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Back in the late 60's a guy used to come in the gas station I worked that drove a big 65 Pontiac wagon with a 421, dual quad ,4 speed with posi rear. He said he had bought it off a GM big shot that had used it to pull his Airstream trailer. The car was only a couple years old at the time and we checked it over pretty close, looked all factory built.

loudbang, blowby and tinsled like this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! F.B. I. Car(s)....
    I believe those are white.....

16. Some wild options on here, lots I've never heard of.
    Thought I was doing good with overdrive & a clock in my shoebox.

Deuces likes this.
  17. 1974 copper colored post sedan. Had factory installed airbags. Paper work came attached to the title that had to follow the car from cradle to grave. Car was originally owned and titled to the Hartford Insurance company. Funny thing is the dashboard. It held a full size 74 Oldsmobile 88 dashboard with Impala emblems on it. I had the car when it was about 2 years old after buying it from Gelco leasing.

Deuces likes this.
  18. glrbird

glrbird

Not quite HAMB friendly, but our neighbor, Mr. Middendorf, across the street ordered a silver '65 Pontiac Catalina wagon with a 421, tri-power, 4 speed, bucket seats, and console. I've never seen anything else like it.[/QUOTE]

My Dad worked at a Pontiac dealership in 65 and the owner ordered the same 421, tri-power 4 speed for his wife, but in a Station wagon!

19. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Saw at Mecum Kissimmee 2 years ago. 57 Chevy Belair 283 4 barrel with factory cruise control. Was a huge box on driver side fender in engine compartment with cables and levers everywhere. Never seen before or sense.

Deuces likes this.
  20. tempestan55

tempestan55
    from Tempe, AZ

Don't know how rare it is, but in '57, Huber Chevrolet, Blakesburg Iowa had a '57 turquoise blue 4 door Bel Air sedan, Power Glide fuel injection car. It is my understanding that the engine was ordered in error. They had it quite a few months before being sold, due to the fuely engine. I was 10 yrs. old at the time, but was awed by the rarity. Wonder if anyone has documentation on this?

Deuces likes this.
  21. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

In 1971, I bought a new Duster 340. The day or so later when I went to pick it up, there was a 1970 Chrysler 300 convertible with a Hurst 4 speed. The car was owned by the dealer himself.

Deuces likes this.
  22. LAROKE

LAROKE

1954-1955 1st Series Chevy Truck wind up clock option. A bit rare since not many farmers needed a clock. Took me a while to find one. I replaced the clock with a tach.
    [​IMG]

Spooky, Deuces, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There is a HAMB member who posts here that had a 57 four door hardtop that had Rochester fuel injection, pretty sure he said it was OEM.

Deuces likes this.
  24. In 1973, I ordered a two-door Plymouth Duster with a 318 four-barrel, three-speed on the floor, sure grip, no A/C, a sunroof and radio delete. It was the only new car I've ever bought, and I had to wait more than six weeks for delivery. Horrible combination, and in hindsight was a stupid decision. Whoever ended up with it by early 1980 had an odd car, but it was still running reliably, just a fuel suck.

25. I saw one of these about 15 years ago sitting in the distance of a field nearby Battle Ground WA. I don't remember the color. It was overcast that morning as my wife and I were driving around looking for garage sales. I didn't have a camera nor a smart phone at the time. She didn't want me to waste anytime trying to get a better look at it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Spooky likes this.
  26. An OT car for sure but made me think of another oddball. My old racing buddy bought a SS Monte from the original owners about 10 years ago. It was that Daytona lookin one (I think an '84"). 305 Hypo, column shift, bench seat, am radio and roll up windows.

Now to get back on track, when I was in high school a man with the local garage had a supercharged Studebaker Lowey. It was a champ not a commander and he had the paperwork to show that it came that way.

27. Leadheavy52

Leadheavy52

Yes, I know this post is old...

Here's one:

A 1952 Plymouth Concord Suburban ordered with the High Clearance Package that offered 18" wheels, upright spare mount in the cargo area, special front fenders (larger radius), 11-leaf rear springs and heavy duty shocks. It was also ordered with the 7-button deluxe radio and factory turn signals. I'm sure the car would have been ordered with the electronic dash clock too, but I'm not entirely sure you could even get that as an option on the Concord platform in '52.

This High Clearance Package, originally offered for rural salesmen and postal workers, was only available for the '49-52 Suburbans and disappeared from the options list in '53 forever. My car is the only I have ever seen with the equipment. Here are pictures of it as I drug it out of a field in SW Colorado last year. I am currently restoring it.

The 4-speed Dodge truck transmission is out with a '52 Borg Wagner Overdrive to replace it.

-Austin

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Spooky, 50Fraud, Bigcheese327 and 3 others like this.
  28. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Looks like a good find. I love off-the-wall cars.

Spooky, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  29. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Only thing better would be a Woody version!

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  30. The Z-16 convertible wasn't a COPO car, it was a standard production car that supposedly came down the regular production line. The problem with that it that there is really no proof of the car even when they were new in 65. At this point its a tall tale or myth if the car even really existed.

The Z/28 convertible was more prototype car than anything. The car was built for Pete Estes as he only drove convertibles and Vince Piggins and the Camaro engineering team wanted to get the green light on a many new parts that were developed for the trans am series. So they built the Z/28 convertible to give to Pete to drive and hopefully get the ok to put the parts into production. That convertible had all the options plus alot of the over the counter race parts that were never installed on the assembly line. The big thing it had was the cowl hood, never offered in 68 and not becoming available until January of 69 on production 69 Camaro's. The car had a early JL8 disc brake rear end, the famous trunk headers, and a early cross ram 2x4 setup.

loudbang and LowKat like this.