Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Drums

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by LBCD, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Anyone heard of Crowell drums ? I have a vintage bass peddle that has that name on it . I tried to look up information on the company and only came up with the patent on the peddle. I would like to find out if they actually made drums or just the peddle .

2. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have played with most types of music and a lot of bands and musicians but Motown is one of my favorites.

LBCD and bowie like this.
  3. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks for the post! I have never heard of the Crowell pedal until now. Didn’t find much online about the pedal or the inventor, but it looks legit for 1948![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Okie Pete likes this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ I like how the clamp allows for the contour of the drum itself. Don't see form and function as much it seems these days.

LBCD likes this.
  5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first drum, school band 1966. The old Acro still has a pretty good ring to her : B5E7C3F5-1143-4331-9D00-7E37A73022F4.jpeg

Okie Pete, LBCD and Johnny Gee like this.
  6. LBCD

LBCD

Nice! I’ve owned a couple of blue/olive era Acrolites and bummed I sold both in the last few years. [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  7. LBCD

LBCD

My favorite snare to date...it’s a Valley Custom 14 x 7. Maple ply satin finish. Maybe used on some of the greatest recordings in history do a search on these amazing snare drums!
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete and bowie like this.
  8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was about 16, someone stole my Ludwig cowbell at a gig. Last weekend my brother in law up in NH found this one for $5.00. She looks right at home on the original mount. Funny how a little thing like this can make your day! DBBDEE70-9572-4842-84FF-176FCAB6A30A.jpeg

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

10. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

That picture made my day. My set came in the same blue sparkle but years ago I decided I wanted them black so I refinished them all except the snare. I had an extra chrome snare and left the blue sparkle on the snare so I could remember them the way they were. Now later in life I am glad I thought to leave the snare original. Seeing your set brings back fond memories .

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Mississippi Queen, or maybe Don't Fear the Reaper, has the distinguished honor of "Most Cowbell".

12. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Does your bass peddle have the quick connect swing out tab with a hole in it that you pull up on the spring loaded knob on the peddle and it snaps in the hole for a positive connection ? I love that feature and feel really uncomfortable when playing on other sets that clamp down on on the rim. I am always afraid they will work loose while playing . I think that is one of the coolest features Slingerland came up with.

bowie likes this.
  13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Slingerland set is a stage band model, it came with the lesser factory pedal without that feature. I upgraded to a Ludwig Speed King pedal in about 1970; and never looked back. I do still have my original pedal as spare. On the cowbell subject, the first song I ever played in a group was Honkytonk Woman... hard to do that one without a cowbell!

LBCD likes this.
  14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

That was the song that came to my mind when I read about the cowbell.

15. LBCD

LBCD

"We're An American Band" not a ton of cowbell throughout but when it comes in it is kick ass!

bowie likes this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Right!

Okie Pete, LBCD and bowie like this.
  17. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

What would Van "Halen's Dance The Night Away" be without the cowbell?

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Period correct year vehicle.

Okie Pete, bowie and LBCD like this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

20. LBCD

LBCD

Speaking of cow bells....I made this a few years ago, it’s 16 gage 304 stainless and can be over the top loud. I had to stick a piece of dense weather stripping inside it to control the ring! IMG_6866.JPG
    I made this 13 x 7 snare a few days ago using vintage parts, it’s a throw back to the snare drums of the 30’s. It too is 16 gage stainless 304 and has a nice ring to it. IMG_6873.JPG

21. LBCD

LBCD

Saw this Slingerland the other day...[​IMG]

Okie Pete, Kan Kustom and Johnny Gee like this.
  22. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Kan Kustom and LBCD like this.
  23. LBCD

LBCD

This one is 16 ga. stainless steel rolled and a TIG welded seam . I’m using USA Gretsch parts and Remo over Evans heads. [​IMG] IMG_6911.JPG [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The heads take to the edge OK? Not much surface for any real radius. Daylight shows relief for wires :cool:
    [​IMG]

LBCD and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  25. LBCD

LBCD

The edge works fine but tuning takes longer than with a 45* bearing edge. Look up Dunnett and Keplinger snare drums...they are both true metal artists, huge influence on my drum building.

26. LBCD

LBCD

This song has the first snare I ever built on it.
    14 x 3.5 stainless steel with a spot welded seam and hand filed super smooth so the heads were not effected from the overlap. From the early 90’s

Okie Pete and bowie like this.
  27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

E52211F9-5ACA-4EF4-8B57-09FCB474BF5D.jpeg Just a ten lugger shot to bring this thread to the top:

Okie Pete, Johnny Gee and LBCD like this.
  28. LBCD

LBCD

Sonor has made some of the best sounding drums in history. They are known for the Beechwood shells, I owned a Sonor Beechwood snare and it was awesome.

sonor3.jpg
    1974_champion_rosewood.jpg

Old is new again...
    121.jpg
    enjoy this 6 min...

29. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I just came across this site and am a bit overwhelm. I played 4 years in high school, then college and a little in the service with rock bands with the same set of drums that I bought from Sears back in 1966 and still have the set today stack in my garage. I never knew it but as a left handed person I was setting up as a right handed person. Ringo Star was the same way. On a roll around, I would start from the floor tom and roll around to the toms on the bass drum. Surprising enough playing the drums and working on cars keep me out of trouble. I often wonder now, how my parents and neighbors (close quarters on Air Bases) could put up with the noise.

Hotdoggin DaddyO, LBCD and Johnny Gee like this.
  30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@COCONUTS I know a drummer that's a lefty but plays right as well. I happened upon it one day when Stumps was writing left handed. I asked if your left hand why do you play right. Schooling did it to him and he just stayed that way. On your roll around. That's individuality and unique and nothing to be ashamed of. Hell, I know it's not drum's but who can copy or even capture the Dick Dale sound. It would feel so ass backwards that it's to hard to copy.
    Then there's Ginger Baker. He makes it a point to do everything normal then do it reverse handed.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    bowie, Hotdoggin DaddyO and LBCD like this.