Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Rattle Can A Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, May 11, 2019.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Fortunateson's post of "RATTLE CAN GURUS" got me thinking...I know of a guy who spray painted his entire car and it came out pretty shitty. I also know of a guy who spray painted his car and it came out gorgeous.

Are there anymore on this forum who have rattle canned their rods?

Show some pictures...

2. There is more to painting a car with "rattle can" paint then just popping a cap off and start spraying, it takes knowledge and experience. With these two things you can do wonders with "rattle can " paint.

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

In the seventies I worked for a guy that was painting his snowmobile with a spray bomb when I came to work one day, and seeing how he was the boss I commented on how good it looked. He said once you learn how to paint you can paint with anything. I've found it to be true.

bobss396 and BigO like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

flow the wet spot...keep moving, have someone prepping the cans, fan spray ... good luck

Johnny Gee, zzford and BigO like this.

5. "Can" prep is everything. Or at least a lot of it.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  6. My Dodge had a flat black "rattle can" paint job when I got it. 1010161618.jpg

7. Example "one" of no knowledge or experience!

j hansen and RDR like this.
  8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I rattle canned "MR 800".... **clic pic** bare metal 29 019.JPG MR 800 for sale 010.JPG

swade41, BigO, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  9. Straight Axle Guy

Straight Axle Guy

This is a rattle can job on my 27 roadster1.jpg roadster2.jpg

10. It can be done. I would think the non-metallic solid color paints would work best after they are wet sanded and buffed.

BigO and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  11. greybeard360

greybeard360

Buy a case of the paint you are going to use so all of the cans are from the same batch. Paint one panel at a time.

12. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Exactly!................. What greybeard360 said.

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Back in 04 I built a chopped/dropped deuce pu and rattle caned it with Krylon Satin Black. Nobody realized it was rattle caned except the license said Krylon32. I bought the paint by the case. It was good enough for a feature in the Oct 05 issue of Rod and Custom.

swade41, OLSKOOL57, BigO and 3 others like this.
  14. OT minivan damaged....I had some ditzler dk blue metallic single stage mixed up, used a Preval spray bottle....from home depot...it has more even spray pattern than a rattle can. Preval spray bottle is only 8 bucks. Sprayed the entire replacement hatch. They have activated clears in a can now punch a tab on the bottom. Covered the sprayed hatch with the clear ($19 bucks on Amazon)....quick wet sand and buff...looked almost factory fresh.

15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

16. Straight Axle Guy

Straight Axle Guy

Yes a rattle can primer was used.

BigO and Flathead Dave like this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I did a ot VW bug one time. I was young and dumb, and didn't know candy paint was translucent, and that you needed a gold or white base to make it look right. The bug was a kind of teal blue-green, a funky color, and I sprayed the rattle can candy red over it. Turned out smooth, but purple instead of red!

Did a hood on a OT Lincoln Town car years later. Hood had been replaced with a junkyard part, black instead of white like the car. Sprayed it with a couple of rattle cans, looked pretty good for a beater driver.

18. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Years ago I was getting my car inspected at a friend's garage and there was a brush painted car. One guy looked at and said at least he could of used a roller.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My old Vette was rattle can black primer for years. I was a young punk, about 22, cruising for chicks every Friday night. Always looked best with a fresh coat, so one evening before the cruise my pal and I pulled it behind a building off the main drag, I was going down one side with a fresh can and he the other...when a cop came around the corner. Someone must have called. Took some explaining, fortunately it was properly registered, and soon we were back on the prowl.

Vette4.jpg

21. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Rattle can enamel doesn't hold up well to solvents, gas, bird shit..Lacquer a bit better but nowhere near the durability of catalyzed paint.

A friend of mine was telling me about a motorcycle ride in Italy that goes on every year, the Moto Giro I think, for little 125cc bikes. Lots of Americans and other Euros do it, and the Italians are happy to sell them the little red bikes they have put together for a nice profit. All great except for the first gas stop, when all that pretty red rattle can starts washing down the sides!

23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

ROTFLMAO!

24. oldolds

oldolds

About 20 years ago a discount/buy back store opened near me. They had pallets of boxes of Dupli-Color paints. I had a used car lot. Lots of cars got rust repair to complete paint jobs with rattle cans that summer.

25. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I painted my first o/t car cherry red with 16 cans of paint. It looked good to start with, then about a year later I was at high school eating lunch and sitting on the hood of my car. I got up and had a red ass, couldn't even touch the car without getting red. I believe I did something wrong.
    Tony

26. Anyone use those catalyzed cans from auto body supply stores? I did my firewall and some cut-in work on my Ford using a couple of cans, it went on well, but these were small areas.

I have to blend in my hood scoop before too long and may try it on that, give me an idea on how many cans I may need for the whole car.

27. When I added some Dietz headlights to my car, I looked at my rattle can collection to see if I had something close to the body color. The Rustoleum navy blue turned out to be almost a perfect match! A friend at a recent car show was convinced it was the same paint. 0321191515.jpg

28. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

I used cans on a lot of cars in my younger days. At the time, the OSH house brand paint was the one that would lay down the best. I would buff and wax it, and it would last longer than I ever owned anything.

29. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

patterg2003 likes this.