Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anti Hot Rod & Muscle Car Enforcement by Wisconsin State Patrol

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This rarely happens either way. As explained to me by several LE officers, the decision to cite is usually made before exiting the patrol car. That's not etched in stone, but talking you way out of, or into, a ticket is rare.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This is true regarding all tickets in general.

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I will be there with my fenderless Roadster and see how it goes I guess. Wish me luck! Gary:eek:

Phillips, 0NE BAD 51 MERC and a boner like this.
  4. A Boner

A Boner

How about a pic?
    Wish you luck....I'll say a little prayer!

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

If you guys with the fenderless rides make the decision not to attend a show and cancel a hotel room and other activities, be sure you tell the hotel why you are canceling. If you get a ticket, be sure to tell the hotel why you won't be back in the future. If they get enough people canceling hotel rooms, they will solve the problem a lot faster then we could through the court system. The Hotel and Convention Burial coupled with the Visitors Burial are pretty powerful forces in WI government.

Fighting this from multiple directions will make things happen pretty fast, I think. Gene

wicarnut and kabinenroller like this.
  6. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^^
    For sure!
    Like Bobby Dylan said, " money doesn't talk, it swears"!

7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Here is an old picture. It has it's wear marks now and 35,000 mostly WI miles and no tickets so far! Gary

Attached Files:

wicarnut, milwscruffy and a boner like this.
  8. A Boner

A Boner

image.png I pray the WSP likes your hot rod as much as I do!

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    milwscruffy likes this.
  9. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Why have I never seen that beautiful T.

10. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Gary, I am glad your bringing the 27 again. It has been a staple of our show for years. When you guys talk about traditional, survival hot rods you need to study this car. This car has been a hot rod forever and she shows her age, but that's what makes her cool. And coming from me, who is all about shine and chrome, that's pretty high praise! Hope to see lots of you there, just remember the line is going to be long and slow coming in because of the construction and hopefully the reports I heard about the WSP and the fender thing is a over blown. Larry

wicarnut likes this.
  11. Managed to co-pilot in a fenderless 29' Dodge today for a 2 hour round trip to a car show in Concord, WI and not get any tickets, yea !

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  12. A Boner

A Boner

Straight down the 94 from Milwaukee?

13. Came from Milwaukee but took a scenic route that got us to 83 south to 94 and west from there. Ran into T&A Flatheads along the way, stopped and talked and checked out his deuce, neat car !

chop job and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  14. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Glad you guys stayed out of jail!

milwscruffy and Beanscoot like this.
  15. Yep, you never know how much a trouble a couple of 60 year olds in a 90 year old car can make...:cool:

16. Some may not want to read this whole thread, here is short version of the story.

WISCONSIN FENDER LAW
    this is the law the Wisconsin State Patrol cited for violation;

Trans 305.22Fenders and projecting parts.

(1)Every motor vehicle originally manufactured after January 1, 1950, every homemade vehicle registered after January 1, 1975, and every vehicle registered as a reconstructed vehicle after March 1, 1996 shall be equipped with adequate fenders covering the front and rear tires to prevent splashing of water and throwing of gravel, stones or other objects.
    (2)
     All fenders shall be free of severely rusted or damaged material which may cause injury or cause the fenders to be ineffective. All required fenders shall be of sufficient width and length to cover the tire tread from 15 degrees to the front to 60 degrees to the rear when measured at the center of the axle, to the top of the tire, on a vertical plane.
    (3) All fenders shall be securely mounted.
    (4) Fenders may be extended up to 4 inches beyond the original fender line or the manufacturer's optional equipment fender flare line in order to cover tires that also extend beyond the original fender or flare line.
    (5) No part of the vehicle or any vehicle accessory shall project away from the vehicle in a hazardous manner.

The first guy, Mark, in Dodgeville, Wis. ticketed for the same violation “no fenders” was driving his metal body model A Ford on a boxed model A frame Wisconsin titled as a 1931 Ford with annual plates.

The second guy, Brad, getting the ticket was driving a 3 window coupe, Wisconsin titled as a 1932 Ford with annual registration. He has gone to Court with a "not guilty" plea. Court trial date to be determined.

Some people believe the original A bodied car without fenders has preference over a repro 32 body or frame without fenders as viewed by WSP for fender violations. The same WSP trooper ticketed both vehicles and wasn’t concerned about metal or glas, old or new.

For Wisconsin residents wanting to get the legislators input, here is a list to contact;

SEMA State Automotive Enthusiast Leadership Caucus
    Wisconsin

Senator Andre Jacque
    Representative Ed Brooks
    Representative James Edming
    Representative Bob Kulp
    Representative John Nygren
    Representative Michael Schraa
    Representative Robert Swearingen

Max Gearhead and kabinenroller like this.
  17. GTS225

GTS225

****************************************************************************************

Here's where they may make it stick. If either, or both vehicles were registered as home made or reconstructed, but still titled as a 30's vehicle, was registered after '75 or '96, as applicable, then by the letter of the law, they are in violation. Even if the vehicle were originally built before the effective dates, they may be trying to "hit" them for it because the vehicles changed owners after the effective dates, thus altering the conditions of registration.
    Many of us don't know all the details, and I don't really know Wisconsin's titling structure, so there may be a lot of conjecture on my part.
    I don't like it any better than the next guy, but these bastards do like to stretch the boundaries of their authority.

Roger

18. Pretty sure both examples were titled as what they are 31 Ford and 32 Ford , not homemade or reconstructed. Thus they should be exempt.

19. So some motorcycle style fenders like our Australian brothers use would suffice this law?

20. Speed~On

Speed~On

You would think, but not always. There was an inspector that wanted "original" fenders. Fenders that originally came with the car or repops, nonetheless, fenders that were appropriate for the car. Which, by Trans Chp 305, a car that is pre 1950 and registered as such, are not required to have fenders. There's definitely an overstepping of bounds here.

21. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well I was 16 in 1971 , and I was always getting pulled over for equipment violations but so was every other long haired kid with a peace sign ,mag wheels and a 4 on the floor . lol But I also remember the big bitch feast back then about hot rods having fenders in the mid 70's and that's when we started seeing a lot motorcycle type fenders , the cute ones where usually on Fad T's , round rod braces and clear plexiglass for fenders. From 50 feet it look like you did not have them. But to be honest the last 35/40 years there really has not been a problem from cops. Unless you do something stupid. Back in the 90's I was big into pro street stuff and a few of my cars where 10 second drag cars with license plates. cops would give them thumbs up not tickets. June is coming quick and I am sure Curt R will let us know how it turns out. Larry

22. Roger,

As stated above "metal body model A Ford on a boxed model A frame Wisconsin titled as a 1931 Ford with annual plates." and " 3 window coupe, Wisconsin titled as a 1932 Ford with annual registration." No "hmade" or "recon" status or title brand involved here. Good try but not Wisconsin law.

According to Wis Trans 306.065, "recon" and "hmade" can not be titled any other year than the year they were inspected for a title. "Recon" and "hmade" have been on Wisconsin law since the early 1970's, if there is a 1930's recon or hmade, it is an error on WISDMV's part.

Trans 305.065 Homemade, replica, street modified, reconstructed and off-road vehicles.
    (1)  Inspection. Upon completion of assembly or reconstruction, every homemade or reconstructed vehicle shall be inspected prior to being registered or titled for compliance with this chapter, ch. Trans 149 and ch. 347, Stats. The inspection shall be performed by an inspector authorized by the department to perform inspections of salvage vehicles under s. 342.07, Stats. This subsection does not apply to trailers or semitrailers.
    (2) Titles.
    (a) Homemade and reconstructed vehicles. The department shall issue a title indicating that a vehicle is a homemade or reconstructed vehicle where the make of the vehicle would otherwise be shown on the title. The model year shown on the title shall match the calendar year of the inspection performed under this section.

Curt R

23. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Do we know if the wrongfully accused has a good lawyer?
    @Curt R , are you serving as co-council?

24. A Boner

A Boner

image.png
    There are 4 available types of titles. (2) (a) Homemade and Reconstructed are the ones you DO NOT want.
    (2) (b) Replica and Street Modified are what you want for a Hot Rod.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  25. GTS225

GTS225

Fair enough, boys. I stand educated. This was the "details" that I admitted ignorance to in my last post. It appears as if they were sited for violations, hoping they would just pay up, or the trooper is ignorant of the very laws he's supposed to be upholding.

Roger

26. gene-koning

gene-koning

It sounds to me like this one trooper has a thing against hot rods, and he is out to get all of them he can. So far he has tagged 2 WI guys with fender violations, but apparently has limited his action to WI cars in the Dodgeville area.
    Just the same, I'm not going to drive my fenderless 39 Dodge in WI until we hear what is going to happen to these two guys.

27. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

About 15 years ago when I was still living in Wisconsin, I was playing with the idea of building a Model A. My boss at the time told me if I planned on it not having a hood or fenders I was going to be looking for trouble because the law said they were required. He said they really didn't enforce it, but some cops loved flexing their power anyway they could. He told me a couple guys he knew ended up selling theirs because it was too much trouble to drive them. I just took it as small towns with power drunk cops, but it sounds like it's getting more widespread now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Saw this at the car show Saturday close to where Curt's car was parked.

60351329_10215404832248829_6932717608252735488_n.jpg

29. He does not have a lawyer at this time, he will make that decision after the June 13th Court date. The June 13th Dodgeville Court date will be when the Judge sets a trial date.

I am not co-council.

Curt R

milwscruffy likes this.
  30. Roger,
    To my knowledge the WSP trooper in the Dodgeville, Wi. area has issued 5 tickets for questionable vehicle equipment violations. Let's say each ticket is a $200.0 fine. Four are paid without protest, $800.00 plus for the State. One is protested.

A citizen can't plead ignorance of the laws. I don't believe the trooper is ignorant of the laws, maybe playing the 4 to 1 odds.

Curt R

milwscruffy likes this.