Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shoulda done it myself

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearhead695456, May 10, 2019.

1. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Maybe the picture angle but the top of the shock mounts appear to be different.
    I would have made the top off the engine mount a little larger to distribute the weight over the entire rubber mount.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That looks strangely familiar!

3. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I agree with you on welding bolts to the frame. Almost any material that is to be machined into a bolt. Will tend to weld poorly. The harder the bolt the worse it will weld.
    Just like most of us know not to weld leaf springs, drill bits, or screw drivers. We should know not to weld hardened bolts.

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With respect, nothing wrong with welding hard steel with the appropriate tensile strength electrode. However, in this case, welding hard steel to mild steel isn't a really good choice. Had the OP specified through bolting for his shock mounts, he should also have specified insert tubes welded into the frame and the problem would have been solved.

5. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Time to buy a welder and start practicing.

alanp561 and 46international like this.
  6. On this type of particular area,,,
    The bottom of the crossmember is open (or should be, as in no boxing plate. That allows access to the radiator bolts, and room to add some beef for a threaded back up plate and or a thru bolt. Many times the lower frame rail is notched there for spring clearance as well.

The F1 shock mounts don’t usually mount with nuts to the outside. Perhaps the weld doesn’t fail, it will pull a pucker in the 10ga frame rail and may even rip a nice chunk out of it. It’s really not the welding of the bolt that’s an issue, it’s the application, what it’s welded to and the forces it will see

alanp561 likes this.
  7. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I wasn't referring to the weld breaking but the effect that the weld has on the structural integrity of the bolt itself.
    About twenty years ago at work, I was mounting a hose reel onto a 16" wood beam in the machine shop and I used a 12" piece of 1/2" steel plate that I drilled 4 holes at the correct spacing for the hose reel. On the back side, I chamfered the holes and cut the heads off some 1/2 " bolts from the bolt bin. I then plug welded the back side of the bolts so as to have a flush mounting against the wood beam. I mounted the hose reel and the next day the reel fell of the post and almost hit a machinist. Of coarse there was a big near miss accident investigation. All four bolts had snapped flush with the face of the plate and opposite of the welded side.
    The result of the investigation showed that they had upgraded the bolt bins to grade 5 bolts from grade 3. The heat from welding on the bolts altered the structural integrity of the bolts making them brittle. The tightening of the nuts on the bolts stretched the bolts causing them to eventually break. The higher grade of bolt, the more the heat affected the strength.

hfh and RustyDogg like this.
  8. lucas1946merc

lucas1946merc

The welds look bad too

9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've said this before but, the area immediately adjacent to a weld has 85% of the strength of the parent metal. If the bolts were over-tightened, welded or not, they then had the real possibility of failure.
    Looks like counter-boring the wood beam to accept the bolt heads would have been a better solution.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  10. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/welding-on-fasteners.363914/
    https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/welding-discussions/8254-welding-grade-5-or-8-bolts

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  11. Not to start a pissing match here,,,
    What were you hanging : how much did it weigh, what did it do, and how was it under load?

12. fordflambe

fordflambe

my head hurts from reading this.............

13. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

A hose reel that probably had a weight of about 50#. Each bolt had a washer and a nut on the end tighten down with a wrench by hand, guessing about 35-50 ft pounds. Machinist said that he was at a milling machine about five feet away when it just fell down. All four bolts snapped flush with the plate.

14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What diameter and grade of bolt?
    Did the bolt shear?

15. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

It was 1/2" bolt and was determined to be a grade 5 because they up graded the bolt bin to grade 5 from grade 3. I had done similar welding on grade 3 with no problem.
    Sheared off and looked like cast iron would look upon breaking

16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

j hansen, jimgoetz, Ned Ludd and 2 others like this.
  17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That was doing the rounds about the same time as this one:
    [​IMG]
    ... at the risk of going entirely off topic.

alanp561 likes this.
  18. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

As 31Vicky said, "A picture is worth a 100 words"...unless it is a bad picture. Then is creates 1000 questions! LOL

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  19. Terrible80

Terrible80

Some people are mechanics and learn to weld. Some are barely welders.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app