Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shoulda done it myself

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearhead695456, May 10, 2019.

1. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

I guess if you want something done right , you gotta do it yourself. You cant assume that everyone understands the look. I farmed out some welding, and well this what I got. Damn.

Attached Files:

2. Closer shot?

49ratfink and Deuces like this.
  3. Whats the problem? HRP

OLSKOOL57, 49ratfink and Deuces like this.
  4. HellsBells5

HellsBells5

Not seeing it either......

49ratfink and Deuces like this.

5. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

Shock mounts are backwards, to my eyes anyways.

WB69, Montana1, da34guy and 3 others like this.
  6. Shock mounts and radiator bolts look like a problem

7. 2935ford

2935ford

I think his complaint is directed at the left side (looking at pic) weld of the cross member to frame?

8. This is the kind of stupid crap that started my career some 50 years ago. 31 Vick pointed out the Rad mounts and it also looks like the Motor mount through bolt is at a pretty good angle instead of vertical to frame rail. Makes me think the Rails are pinched in the front. Seen a lot of this crap over the years. Don't feel singled out. Just because you can make a nice looking Weld don't make you a Chassis shop.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I don't get it. Unless he built the entire chassis for you. If he did just the shock mount welding, I assume they were already bolted in place (before the frame was boxed)?

Did you address this issue with him and discuss a fix/rework or just pay for the job?

Why not use the Socal shorty shock mounts instead of chopping those? Unless it's going to be full fendered and you're on a budget.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apparently, a lack of good communication concerning exactly what you wanted.

People don't always really care.
    So they don't listen very well.
    And then they don't "remember".

It's one of my pet peeves. I listen to people. I make sure they KNOW I'm listening...with my body language and attentiveness. If people barely or don't at all look at me when I'm talking, and at least grunt and show me a small glimmer in their eyes that they're even fkng alive...I get their attention. If they don't respond accordingly when I'm talking about something that's important to me...like they give a shit...I make them respond.
    "Ok?!?" "Alright".
    "Alright?!?" "Ok."
    "Ok."
    If I get too many red flags that tell me that somebody doesn't really take my wishes seriously, I go elsewhere. In fact, I've learned that even one tiny red flag is almost too many...because when somebody really cares, there's no question that they do. And if they don't, I can grab them by the collar and shake the shit out of 'em...and they still won't really care...lol.
    People don't remember. Diagrams help. A simple drawing for them to refer to 3 days later...when they care even less about what you said.
    And as P-n-B said, a good welder isn't necessarily a chassis guy. In a case like that, the communication has to be very good.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    jim snow likes this.
  11. What kind of Fenders are Vertical off the frame at that point?

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

gearhead: Please explain what you view as "the problem" regarding the welding.

49ratfink likes this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Other than the shock mounts being backwards, the welding looks OK at first glance to me. Granted, the bead looks a bit fat, but it doesn't look like a structurally unsound weld. Perhaps you were looking for a tight TIG weld that would have been a bit less conspicuous? If you didn't tell the welder that and the instruction was simply to weld it and make it sound, it's hard to fault the welder. It would seem he accomplished his task, even though it's not aesthetically what you were after.

14. cederholm

cederholm

Kinda like this post. No offense intended, but you might want to clearly state what the issue is.

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

The welding on the shock mount bolts does look a little crude. We have a boxed frame with no access from the back side for bolts so the bolt heads must just be welded to the frame. If it was mine cut off the bolts grind it down and drill holes all the way through both sides of the frame and use long bolts.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    clem likes this.
  16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

"..................and drill holes all the way through both sides of the frame and use long bolts",
    with spacers inside the frame rails so they don't collapse the side rails.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/unthreaded-spacers

pat59, RDR, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  17. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Or cut the boxing out of the backside, weld nuts inside the outer rails and weld the cutout back in. It's not structural in that area and it's only metal, so...............

18. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

At a glance it appears that they welded in a crossmember that had been cut [narrowed]....
    note how close the flat radiator mounting surfaces are to the frame's outer edge...
    on my frames the raised ridge that forms the radiators mounting surface in the crossmember is about 3" from the frame rail's inner edge... your's looks much closer...
    will a '28- '32 grill "chin" slide between the horns ?

19. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

He only did the shock mounts and engine mounts, the rest was Brookvilles handiwork. I admit, some miscommunication happened here. Otherwise always, we have always had a good working relationship.

20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

if your grill's chin fits between the horns... life is good, rock on !

21. Did you show the guy a picture?
    I don’t think I would have welded the bolt heads to the frame

99B09A4C-BE90-461B-9B97-E772492B95C7.jpeg 6661345C-C51E-4491-9C93-97E60C2D5564.jpeg 9DD82BF0-F8A9-4698-BB5B-EA4F71FD4E3B.jpeg 75B49E46-3D02-4163-B880-FA0D83B80A07.jpeg 400C4F1C-50CE-4E88-8141-A17445B36A76.jpeg

22. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, you need to either thicken that side of the rail up with a 3/8 or more plate inside, or use tubes all the way through the frame. Plenty of photos out there showing a shock mount cracking through the side of a 10 gauge frame rail.

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

So really, it’s just the shock mounts that we’re talking about???... time for a redo. Show him the pix of how you want it and perhaps he’ll be glad to rectify the issue?????

reagen likes this.
  24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am in agreement with those in the thicker metal the better. Everyone's favorite word should be "Solidify". You have the opportunity to make it right and make it last. Think what your mind would be thinking if late at night , raining and far from home. You want spend the night at a hotel and find someone in the morning to fix it? Add the trip up.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Murphy's law will prevail.

26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Usually a “ Welder “ is not a chassis fabricator . His welds do look like they are sound . Lots of times , a welder is involved in a huge project and taking time from his own project to weld for us . Can the mounts be swapped side to side to correct the issue ? I didn’t look to much into the issue of being turned in the wrong direction more than a fender will never fit at the present state of the mounts . I know it’s not want you like but it will work , things could be worse as in mounting of the radiator could be tough .

27. We got one crappy picture and an ambiguous complaint.
    If the bolt heads are simply welded to the outside of the frame rail - that is not going to “work” as a shock mount for very long. Besides being on backwards and not mounted over the spring,,,,

567FED81-40C3-4685-83F2-4F908F214D3D.png

I know plenty of guys who are “welders” and I’d feel very comfortable having any of them weld anything that I’d put together. A few of those guys I’d rather have them weld it than me because they are amazing and as smooth as silk and established craftsman with thousands of X-ray and pressure tested welds.
    None of them are chassis fabricators and without guidance or a clear measured and detailed blueprint containing every detail are really likely to really fuck some shit up really good. Really

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Johnny Gee, alanp561 and Fordors like this.
  28. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having been a Boilermaker welder for a large part of my life and one of the guys that @31Vicky with a hemi is talking about with the " X-ray and pressure tested welds ", I would be hard pressed to fault the welder for this. If there was no clear instruction from the OP as to how the shock mounts were to be installed, he can only blame himself. Communication is key.

29. The most important part of communication is listening.

100 times a month we convey information and someone doesn’t hear what we have said. Either They hear it wrong, couldn’t hear clearly and insert their own interpretation or weren’t paying attention, or are listening to 4 different things and mix the details from one into another. It happens to me too and everyone is can fall prey to getting the listening part wrong. This place (the Hamb) is notorious for people not reading or mis reading aka not listening.

Picture is worth a 1000 words.
    Drawings repeat themselves over and over tirelessly. The production end (welder) and design end (OP) can both say it is or is not to the print. It ends all arguments, misunderstandings, and nearly ensures the highest probability of success.

The lack of communication will create problems where non really exist.
    Think about that one for a minute.

Last edited: May 11, 2019