Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 Chevy V8 - what exhaust did you use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hey RockStars..... About to start the V8 swap into my 51. Using Walton mounts for motor and tranny. now I need to find the exhaust manifoldsI have actually been through this with my 53 wagon about 10 number of years ago and did a quick search but nothing recent on the subject.

I wanted to see what my options are today. I used the Sanderson headers last time (easy way but most expensive), I have heard about 265 cast iron exhaust manifolds working and someone recently suggested using a 94-96 factory exhaust.. (not sure if truck or car).

One last check on what everyone is using and if any interference with steering or brakes before I make a decision.

2. I started with '89 truck manifolds, tried '86 Camaro manifolds, but what I think I'm going to end up with are '88 Caprice manifolds (also used on Monte Carlo). They come up from the exhaust ports, so no interference there, and the left outlet is far enough back and angled straight down so that a pipe with a bend back right at the very top should clear the stock steering arm when the wheel is turned all the way left.

The Camaro angles out a tad and could be made to work but the pipe would have to bend inward and towards the rear of the car, in the same spot.

3. cyclesounds

cyclesounds

On the passengers side I used a early 90's Chevy full size truck. On the drivers side I used a 80' malibu with the AIR holes plugged. No issues with the stock steering and i'm on hydraulics.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all I have to say is beware of rear dump manifiolds on the drivers side. I bought a 49 sedan several years ago and the guy told me that ever since he put the V8 in, the brakes stopped working well. I think the manifolds were 1970 truck, but maybe not.

the reason the brakes didin't work was that the brake pedal hit the exhaust before it travelled enough to fully engage the brakes. duh....

sad part, the guy was a mechanic at a new car dealer. you would think he would have figured it out.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The early 265 manifolds work great, but they have small ports, and the drivers side header pipe is tricky. Later manifolds that are "log type", meaning the manifold is OVER the plugs and not below them, work also. On my nephews 51 Bus Coupe we used 96 Caprice Cop Car manifolds. You have to weld the AIR ports up, and another sensor port on the passenger side, and drill a couple of extra holes (6 VS 7 bolt exhaust flanges). These are almost a cast iron header in that the ports are all separate, and converge into a "collector". They sound really good, and I'm sure add power. The guy that built the exhaust used gaskets he made, and they blew out quickly; so we made better ones out of a maleable aluminum sheet, and it's holding fine now. Go to ChevyTalk.Org, to the 49-54 forum, and look in the V-8 swap sticky; it lists what manifolds fit and work, and has some photos of the various manifolds. Butch/56sedandelivery.

banjeaux bob likes this.
  6. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I think mid 90s truck headers
    MrC.

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

mrconcdid, I was just talking to Todd at Walton Fabrication (who I got my motor and trans mount from) about what he had heard and he said late 80's truck manifolds. I imagine he was talking about the 88-98 style truck

Butch, thanks for the tip.. the caprice sounds like a lot of work but will check it out

8. wayfarer

wayfarer

When I had the stock front end in my wagon I tried several that were "supposed" to work, but the only one I found that fit was the 265 manifold on the driver's side. Now that I have a mustang II, I've gone to rams horns. If you want a 265 driver's side, you can have mine.

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

wayfer, I just attempted to use the truck version everyone says will work but there is no way you can turn to the right and not hit. folks are either giving up some turning ability (and saying that works) or are doing something different.

56sedandelivery: regarding the 265 intake, when you say tricky, what do you mean??

[​IMG]

here it is in the neutral (driving forward) position. as soon as you turn to the right, the steering arm swings back and hits the exhaust manifold stud (goes steering rod goes past the ends in the middle of the opening.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  10. Loe

Loe
    from CDA, ID

I used the same ones on my 50. I did build my own motor mounts and by looking at my pictures the distance from my steering arm to exhaust manifold is a bit further by about an inch it apears. I do remember making sure the steering was full left and right.

the photo isnt very large but you can zoom in (ctrl +)
    [​IMG]

what about these

[​IMG]

11. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Loe, what are those manifolds you are showing. I have something similar for the passenger side, is there a PN or vehicle the driverside came off of.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Guess I missed this posting ealier, but the 265 EXHAUST manifold on the drivers side just requires the header pipe having several bends to snake around everything; but they work fine. The 96 Caprice Cop Car manifolds we used look somewhat like the swept back and up exhaust manifolds of Big Block MOPARS. They dump to the rear and clear the steering fine (still have to trim the firewall supports). They're almost a cast iron header. I actually bought them from a HAMBER, Tugmaster was the guy, if memory serves me correct. Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. Keemo

Keemo

I realize this is a 2012 post, but if anyone out there knows. Do the ram horn manifolds work on a 1950 V8 swap with a Mustang II?

15. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

probably not. they dump in the center, hence the name ram horn.

16. One of the early to mid 70's chevelle will work great on the left as well as the right.
    Rod an Custom did several articles on the V8 into early 50's chevy.

17. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Yes, depending on engine placement. I am running a typical straight down dump on the passenger side, and an angled back truck style rams horn on the drivers. You have to package the steering shaft/engine location/drivers manifold in one plan to get it all lined out clean, but it works fine.

A few finer points... No Limit front kit, homemade engine mounts, and a Jeep steering shaft are my specifics. I selected suspension, mocked exhaust manifold, temporaried engine placement, and mocked steering shaft in that order. Engine mounts went in after all the other stuff was worked out. Obviously transmission angle, pan placement, firewall clearance, etc. were also in play.