Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Remote/Under Hood Starter Button?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMONTY, May 8, 2019.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

I searched around but didn't find anything of interest. Has anyone installed any sort of starter button in their engine compartment for convenience? If so, do you have pictures of your setup? It seems like it would be real handy when tuning and working alone. And it would save a screwdriver! I was thinking of installing one for my 235 that is going in my Sedan Delivery.

loudbang likes this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've got one with alligator clips on about three feet of wire. Great for adjusting valves.

porknbeaner, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

We always had a race car style starter button mounted on the firewall, dead center left/right, on all our race cars. Let me adjust the valves or start the engines unassisted. Nothing fancy, just a weather tite push button where it was easily reached.
    SPark

100_1846.2.jpg

rockable, loudbang, egads and 3 others like this.
  4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The problem with a permanent one under the hood is some idiot is going to push it. Either when the engines running, or when the car’s in gear. Probably when you’re in front of it. Neat idea, maybe on a race car. I’d at least have a switch in front of it.

OLSKOOL57, winduptoy and RMONTY like this.

5. mohead1

mohead1

I bought a remote starter switch/button many many years ago....maybe a Craftsman. Long lead...alligator clips...trigger type button. Excellent for bumping engine over for valve adjustment, leak-down testing, and other assorted things. Very handy
    Looks like this one (without going out to shop to take a pic) which is an Actron from Sears

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  6. dwollam

dwollam

My '40 Ford still has it's original starter button on the solenoid. My Avatar has one too, installed in 1958.

Dave

RMR&C, loudbang, clem and 2 others like this.
  7. Remote starters are inexpensive and convenient. I've had this one for so long I can't remember just how much I did pay for it. 20190509_050216.jpg

8. oldolds

oldolds

Some Studebakers had a remote start on the solenoid. Prob the same as the above Fords. You need to be careful as they bypass the neutral safety switch and you can't depress the clutch pedal from under the hood! Cars start on the first revolution when they are in gear!

loudbang, RMONTY, clem and 1 other person like this.
  9. Some of the cab over Mitsubishi trucks had them for maintenance purposes, they were somewhat hidden, you had to look for them. Very handy, but YOU had to make sure the truck was not in gear.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. egads

egads

These work well--[​IMG]

Truckdoctor Andy, loudbang and RMONTY like this.
  11. RMONTY

RMONTY

That is a slick little setup.

loudbang and egads like this.
  12. khead47

khead47

As oldolds said, get an aftermarket ford type solenoid with a button.

RMONTY likes this.
  13. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

I had a mid 1970s caprice it came with a factory underhood starter button.

14. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

Button on the bottom of the solenoid of my 47.

[​IMG]

RMR&C, porknbeaner, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good idea. I like the Ford solenoid button. Didn't even know there was such a thing.
    How about a switch for the ignition too.
    Run both ignition and starter button through the neutral safety switch for safety.

loudbang and alanp561 like this.
  16. dwollam

dwollam

Having to go inside the car to turn on the ignition switch is a good safety thing to also make sure it is not in gear, unless of course you want to start it in gear and run through your garage or the neighbors dog or something. :)
    In all the years we've had the '40 I have never hit the solenoid button while in gear but I do have a hammered out dent in an otherwise perfect grille center bar on my '51 Coupe where I bumped the key start and hit a boat trailer. Years ago.....

loudbang and RMONTY like this.
  17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I've got one I made in the sixties, consists of a pushbutton and 2 wires with alligator clips stuck in a bicycle handgrip. Useful for doing tuneups, bumping the starter when adjusting valves and first starts.

18. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

When using a remote starter switch why don't we all take time to raise the rear tires off the ground with jack stands when we are working by ourselves. I just thought of this...…...

Frankie47, loudbang, Bugguts and 2 others like this.
  19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Probably a really good idea. I work alone and sometimes have to take a step back and say "is this a smart thing to do with no one around?" 99% of the time when I ask myself this, whatever that task is waits until I can get a buddy to come by to assist.

20. RMONTY

RMONTY

The 235 doesnt require a remote solenoid as the starter has one on it. The Sedan Delivery has a start button on the dash, so I will probably find a place to mount a button and wire it in parallel to the start button on the dash.

loudbang likes this.
  21. gene-koning

gene-koning

Back in my circle track days we had a remote start button, with a separate ignition off/on switch beside it. Sometimes you wanted to crank the motor without having a hot ignition, and sometimes you wanted a hot ignition with out cranking the motor.
    None of my current stuff has an under hood button. Gene

loudbang likes this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen them on a couple of race rigs where you had to run the valves all the time. Wished I had had one on my 57 Panel with a 327 and Engle solid lifter cam and my 48 when I had the 283 with the 30-30 cam in it.

loudbang likes this.
  23. I bought a timing light setup from JC Whittney in the late '60s that came with a remote starter button. It was like 7 or 8 bucks plus shipping from them back then. It was basically like you describe looked like a bicycle hand grip with a push button switch and a couple of wires with a alligator clips.

I have used the Ford solenoid with the push button before and if I recall I worked on an AMC that had that same basic setup before.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. slowmotion

slowmotion

Had one since the early 70s, two leads & a squeeze type grip, still got it. A 'must have' if you're a solid lifter kinda guy who usually works alone. :cool:

25. I just remembered, coach buses used to have a “rear control panel” in the engine compartment. These often had an engine compartment light, ignition switch, oil pressure gauge, and remote starter button. Very helpful for doing tune ups on old Jimmy Diesels. Of course these predated the advent of the idiot proof shit. These were the days where if YOU failed to make sure the coach was in neutral, YOU were the f&$king moron, not the bus builder.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Frankie47 likes this.
  26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I was having starting issues on my Chevy daily awhile back, and ran an extra wire from the S term on the solenoid next to the positive cable up to the battery for testing. Just touched the wire to the positive terminal to start it. It's still there... Getting an alligator clip on that terminal with headers is a bear.

27. japchris

japchris
    from England

28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes cars start in gear the first revolution. I had that happen to me years ago. I had just installed a rebuilt engine in a Ford pickup . I always used a remote starter, that way if I had to move the distributor to make it run right I wouldn't have to get out of the vehicle. This engine I had everything set perfectly, and started right up. I swore it was in neutral, but it wasn't. I had a helluva time getting it shut off. Needless to say the service manager wasn't too happy with me, because of the damage to the truck

RMONTY and oldolds like this.
  29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That's neat! 6 volt only?

30. For you nervous Nellie types :

It’s possible to energize the starter without ignition power - it will not start.

It’s possible to energize starter thru the neutral safety switch - starter will not energize

It’s equally possible to energize both the starter and ignition system while bypassing the neutral safety switch and run yourself over, take down a wall in the garage and leave one hell of a mess for someone else to clean up while you’re in the hospital.

Frankie47 and Pist-n-Broke like this.