Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 buick special

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jonathon Robertson, May 7, 2019.

1. I am currently on my first build an i am looking for help
    What rear will fit my car i heard a G-body will go under with now problem i am also looking to see if anyone has done a disc brake conversion on the front with gm parts 20190505_132701.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. belair

belair

You have a dilemma. Changing the rear end is not too hard. BUT - The Buick has a torque tube that the driveshaft is inside of. The tube locates the rear end, and is, in that respect, a part of the rear suspension. Do a search, as this topic comes up pretty regularly. There are ways to get around it, but it often involves a different engine and transmission, because for us mortals, there is little to no interchange with Buick engines and other brands of transmissions. Best bet (easiest and simplest) is to stick with the original drivetrain. I had a 55 Special with a 264 and a stick (not too common). It drove in traffic all day long. You have a 322, and it should move that boat just fine. Lots of info on the Dynaflow here, (I assume that's what you have), I would learn to not hate it if I couldn't love it. Best upgrade would be brakes, IMO. Good luck.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  3. belair

belair

And do an intro.

4. missysdad1

missysdad1

Everybody and his sister will eventually weigh in on this thread, they always do, but beware advice from anybody who hasn't actually done an engine / tranny / rear end swap in a '55/'56 Buick. I did a build thread on my '55 Special a while back that I think was a victim of the restructuring here on the HAMB a while back. It might be a good thing to do a search for it, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble and heartache. The finished car turned out very well and is now living in Great Britain with a new owner. Anyhow, I just wanted to caution you that this is a very tricky car to build successfully and some of what you hear here won't make it any easier. Good luck!

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Or just forget about it and send that black beauty to me:D by the way what the hell is a WAWA?

6. Wawa is the best gas station on east coast lol.
    My stepdad is helping me with the build i have been helping build cars since i was 9. But this is my first i will be posting pics as progress is made i want to build the car to hold 350hp if possible without a heart transplant if that needs to happen then i am building it to hold much more hp

lumpy 63 likes this.
  7. By the way paid 1100$ for the car clean title an runs an drives 1 owner 89k miles

belair and lumpy 63 like this.
  8. BJR

BJR

If it runs and drives, tune up the engine and drive it. See Scarebird for a front disc brake kit. Why change the rear end?

belair and gsnort like this.
  9. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with BJR. Tune it. Drive it. Enjoy it. And if you must make modifications, do so.

10. BJR

BJR

If the front end is loose, rebuild it, and add a bigger sway bar, makes a huge difference in handling.

11. Hey good luck with it and build it the way u want
    R u in southeastern pa?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app