Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HOW MANY PLATE/TAG TOPPERS ARE TOO MANY?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29StudeDude, May 7, 2019.

1. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

I'll start with my two. How many can you have mounted, before it just looks stupid? thumbnail_KIMG0009 (2).jpg KIMG0011.jpeg

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just my opinion, but the right number to me would be none. I don't recall ever seeing one on a hot rod back in the '50's. More of a family sedan kind of thing.

Hnstray, Anderson, bob b. and 12 others like this.
  3. I have just one. HRP

[​IMG]

4. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

If they aren't correct for a traditional rod, then I guess the HAMB should stop reproducing them right now. In my state, they were used to advertise your car club or high school back in the day.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    LOU WELLS likes this.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You asked the question. I just offered my opinion. If you didn't want to hear it, you shouldn't have asked.....in my opinion.

Hnstray, bob b., partsdawg and 10 others like this.
  6. What's a tag topper?

7. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

It’s what low riders and VW guys cover their license plates with... :p

Crazy Steve, nochop and NAES like this.
  8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

9. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Finally , thanks.

10. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I don’t think the 2 you have together look bad at all. Kind of cool. I think you should roll with whatever makes you happy & not care what other guys think. It’s all a matter of opinion. Some guys will like it, some won’t. Just my opinion. Ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Hnstray, JFK Killer and 29StudeDude like this.
  11. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

None. Never been a fan, kind of like a JC Whitney add on piece to me.
    SPark

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think if they have any meaning to you, then it's all good. Yours together look alright. Think anymore will start to look a bit cluttered.

29StudeDude likes this.
  13. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I dunno... w/a plate on the front n on the back, sounds like 2 could do...
    Marcus...

29StudeDude likes this.
  14. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

It's your vehicle, so put as many as you want to, as the only requirement is to be able to read the plate, but I'd suggest only 2 on top, & 2 on the bottom, as most plates only come with 4 holes??( of course you do have room for 4 more on the other end of the vehicle!!) LOL!!!!

29StudeDude likes this.
  15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Felix matches the rear window decal on my 35, and a few other NOS ones I've collected over time. Saving the HAMB topper for my 46 Olds
    Felix-.jpg

Chicago Mtr club topper.jpg

VFW topper.jpg

$(KGrHqF,!nUFIjRYl4!cBSPd(yrosw~~60_57.JPG

VFW1.jpg

Topper.JPG

HAMB tag.jpg

16. LAROKE

LAROKE

One can be too many. I lost this one when the plate mounting holes fatigued and the whole assembly fell off. I remember running over it at the time but not realizing what it was. It was gone when I went back to look for it. I miss both the plate and the topper.

[​IMG]

17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

DSC02399.JPG

These were made in the early fifties, so they must be "traditional". These were originally made by the Idarodo Mining Company for employees, I had them reproduced and sold as a Telluride Rotary Club fund raiser.

18. Mark, what's the story behind Giant Power?, I've never seen another one. HRP

19. Tag toppers are like oral sex.

It all a matter of personal taste. :cool:

20. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Adds weight, hot rods are supposed to be stripped for speed. ;) But if you like 'em who cares what someone else thinks.

29StudeDude likes this.
  21. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

I'm always a little surprised at these kinds of questions as it's all about personal tastes and your going to get answers from one extreme to the other which doesn't resolve anything. A much more interesting post for me would be to ask people to post different tag toppers. For some reason I find the variety interesting and a little piece of automotive americana.

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They push too much wind.
    Angle it so it's a small spoiler and you'll get just a little more down-force.

29StudeDude and Stogy like this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not my cup of bourbon but I like seeing them on other's cars.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just as with anything else on the car or truck, DOES IT WORK with the rest of the build and theme of the vehicle. Not more than one on a plate though.
    Main thing is that they should mean something to the person running them and not be just stuck on as an afterthought decoration. I'd love to find a nice license frame from when my friend's grandfather had the local Chevy dealership and before Tim's dad (original owner's son in law) change it to his name. That would be correct for the year of the truck, correct for where I live an correct for when Tim and I were in High school before his dad took over the dealership.
    I've got a Hamb tag topper for each of my three Hamb friendly rigs but may have to do some artful locating on the 48 if I put do what I have planned for the plates as far as mounting them goes.

Geo32x3 and 29StudeDude like this.
  25. 38 Chevy

38 Chevy

Got to have Mt. Rushmore topper.

29StudeDude likes this.
  26. 38 Chevy

38 Chevy

27. If I can ever find a "ELECTRIC CITY" tag topper I will remove the Hamb, one topper IMHO is enough, I have a regular 1932 license plate a hamb topper on the left rear and a club plaque on the right rear and it is probably too much, I may relocate the club plaque to the front. HRP

29StudeDude likes this.
  28. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg I like em , think most look ,nostalgic, old timey, but not a must have ,I'm sportin 2

29. One is one too many.

rockable, LM14, blowby and 1 other person like this.