Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Humber Hawk

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by matt-miles, May 24, 2016.

1. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Just got caught up on this again, hadn't seen quite a bit of it. Your determination is impressive!

Devin

matt-miles likes this.
  2. matt-miles

matt-miles

Progress update - long overdue...

So, I've managed to get the rear fender done, (more or less - still needs the final skim of filler and tweaking to get it spot-on, but I'm calling it good enough to move on...)
    IMG_0434.JPEG

front fender was next... And as expected, it was a mess! Whomever 'repaired' it last just stuck a new outer panel on (from what, I still don't know) and simply silicone caulked it to the wheeltub. With all that crap cut out, I was left scratching my head with this...
    IMG_5722.JPEG
    IMG_5723.JPEG
    I took the advice given on here this time, and cut the old outer panel off, leaving the corners rounded to avoid warpage.

I wanted to try a different approach with this wheeltub, so I used some 1/8th" steel wire to 'trace' where the wheeltub meets the fender panel (wing). That would give me something to work towards when building the metal out.
    IMG_6034.JPEG
    IMG_6035.JPEG
    IMG_6036.JPEG
    IMG_6037.JPEG
    Then I started to build up the wheeltub in manageable sections.
    IMG_6905.JPEG IMG_6906.JPEG IMG_6904.JPEG IMG_7092.JPEG IMG_7105.JPEG IMG_7108.JPEG
    It sure ain't pretty - but it's solid, and with a coat of Raptor, it should be good enough for me to never have to deal with it again!

Then, I fit, trimmed, bent, fit, trimmed, bent... and so on... Until I could weld the fender panel on. I've got to say, the rounded corner meant there was far less distortion in that area, and overall, I think I was a little more comfortable with controlling the heat.
    IMG_7121.JPEG IMG_7127.JPEG IMG_7138.JPEG IMG_7139.JPEG IMG_7141.JPEG IMG_7142.JPEG IMG_7173.JPEG
    Now, it isn't perfect, but dammit it looks like a car again!

When I say it's not perfect, I mean that when I was re-hanging the doors, I found they were tight along the leading edge where they had previously fitted. and tight against the leading edge of the rear door... So something has shifted somewhere along the lines, probably due to my keen-ness to get good penetration in my welds and lack of patience at this point - but we're not talking much, so after asking some advice locally, and searching The HAMB (obviously!) I got them as good as I could, and then attacked the offending edges with a grinder and welder until I had even gaps again.

Tight gaps:
    IMG_0505.JPEG IMG_0506.JPEG
    Ground away:
    IMG_0508.JPEG IMG_0509.JPEG
    And welded to keep everything together before pulling the door off to properly weld...
    IMG_0526.JPEG IMG_0528.JPEG IMG_0529.JPEG

Apart from that, I've had to replace some of the inner and outer door bottoms, both front and back. I used a similar approach with these as I had little to no reference points left once all the filler and rust was gone. I simply 'drew' the shape I needed to work towards with 1/8th" wire, and filled in, back to fresh metal. Again, not the prettiest, and barely worthy of being on here - but much better than it was before I started on it.

Peeps, tr_rodder, 41 GMC K-18 and 6 others like this.
  3. matt-miles

matt-miles

After all that, I thought it worth it out to get a better view from a distance. It gets awfully intimate working in a single-car garage, I've learnt!

So, here's where we are today (bar some work on the door bottoms)...
    IMG_0473.JPEG
    IMG_0480.JPEG IMG_0481.JPEG IMG_0483.JPEG IMG_0487.JPEG IMG_0488.JPEG IMG_0496.JPEG
    Nearly ready to attack the other side... At least I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing this time around!
    IMG_0492.JPEG

Thanks for looking!

Matt

Peeps, tr_rodder, 41 GMC K-18 and 9 others like this.
  4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

It looks like you’re learning as you go, which is good. I hope the other side is in better shape under the wheelwells.

5. matt-miles

matt-miles

Gotta learn somewhere eh!

I think the other side is a little bit better... but I won't know until I get those fenders cut out...

Thanks for the message!

6. patsurf

patsurf

i'm still grinning at this!!-had an old riley saloon a little more than 50 yr's ago-had l/h steering though....great work!!

7. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Matt,

Keep up the work and keep plugging away at it!! Is the car still driveable? If so even better! While many would run away at such vehicles they don’t bother me nor does rusty floors and trunks, wheelhouses, etc. I applaud your effort! Randy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray and vetteguy402 like this.
  8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Good that you're documenting this with photos as you go. I'd take the inspectors failing report, and all your photos to the person who sold you the car, and ask for him to compensate you "some"; I'd also consult an attorney. No one should have to completely rebuild a car due to someone else's crap workmanship done just in an attempt to cover things/damage/repairs up. Of course take all your photos with you to the next inspection. If that does't work out, maybe some Italian or Sicilian gentlemen can be of assistance? You're doing good, the guy who sold you this should't be doing good at all. JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery. Not to sound crude, but every American male also wants a HUMBER, but not all of us ever get one.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  9. That's why my Hillman is built that way (I noticed the fenders don't unbolt)......luckily we don't have safety inspections here....:)

Keep up the great work and pics too.

matt-miles and vetteguy402 like this.
  10. I like the car very much, and beautiful work.
    You must have endless motivation to do all this. I would have called it quits a long time ago.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Hnstray, matt-miles and vetteguy402 like this.
  11. morac41

morac41

Good to see you have kicked off again ... good luck

matt-miles likes this.
  12. matt-miles

matt-miles

As ever, thank you all for the kind and encouraging words!

I often feel like I’m working in complete isolation on this thing, and the encouragement really helps!

Here’s a couple more progress pics... Not much to show, just a lot of filling and sanding, but it’s all progress I guess!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Peeps, tr_rodder, Squablow and 5 others like this.
  13. morac41

morac41

Hi Mat..Back in an early life (early 1950's) I was a Jaguar nut ..which I hot-roded...it was Mk5z ..... I brougt a wrecked XK120 and installed all the running gear into it....it was weapon..after that I brought a Mk8 and specked to C type and fitted Mk9 all wheel disk brakes after that I went American Hotrod ...still have a soft spot for Jag's
    There has been a few Humbers for sale here lately..look real good as they have been sitting in sheds and pretty cheap...I like the super snipe late 50's class car

matt-miles likes this.
  14. evintho

evintho

Great project! As far as drivetrain, that thing is just begging to have a turbocharged 2.3 liter Ford motor dropped in! Back it up with a T5 and you're off to the races!

matt-miles and Hnstray like this.
  15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Nice work and it will be a great car when done.
    It is a shame you have not qualified for the show "Car SOS" treatment, they would have had it all done in 2 weeks.
    Hahahahaha!!!
    Keep up the good work.

panhead_pete likes this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

if you rearranged the chrome letters on the boot it could spell hamber .turn the letter U upside down

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Bdamfino, matt-miles and Hnstray like this.
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't know where to start. Your motivation to tackle this is just...well...unimaginable...but super admirable! And your creativity and workmanship is excellent! Very impressive all around.

Congratulations on a job being exceptionally well done.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  18. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

Agreed. Couldn't say it any better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

matt-miles likes this.
  19. matt-miles

matt-miles

I’ll definitely be doing that, thanks man!

nunattax likes this.
  20. matt-miles

matt-miles

Well, I don’t know what to say... Thank you very much... I’m just stubborn I guess - don’t want this damn thing to beat me! And it won’t!

21. matt-miles

matt-miles

So, I finally got to a point where I could asses the overall shape by putting a single colour on.

I quickly rolled on some grey filler primer, just to get a better look.

Pretty pleased with the results...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I rolled out out with the help of a friend so I can tackle the other side.

[​IMG]

Once I’ve got both sides more or less the shape I’m after, I’ll put some epoxy primer on to seal everything while I work on the rest, unless anyone thinks that’s a terrible idea?

Thanks again for all the encouragement fellas!

Peeps, tr_rodder, 41 GMC K-18 and 4 others like this.
  22. Squablow

Squablow

Epoxy primer as a sealant is a good idea while you're working on the rest of the car, it'll keep contaminants out of the body filler and also moisture off of bare metal. The bodywork looks good.

matt-miles likes this.
  23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

out for a spin yesterday and what did I meet a humber it looked immaculate black with good chrome /trim. model similar to yours only with 4 headlights hadn't seen 1 on the road with ages.

matt-miles likes this.
  24. matt-miles

matt-miles

Ahh, that’ll be a Supersnipe! They’re getting to be rare beasts these days!

25. matt-miles

matt-miles

Thanks man!

That’s exactly what I’m after... I also might need to move it out of the garage for a time while we extend the house, so I want to make sure it’s protected...

Got any recommendations on a brand of epoxy?

Thanks for keeping up with this man!

26. Hi Matt,
    I'm just up the road a bit from you Nr. Boston (Lincs). Just like to say what a brilliant job you are doing, especially in a single garage. I doff my cap to you sir. Back in the 80s we did a "Hawk" for a friend. Pic ; Rick Humber.jpg
    Charlie.

27. As has been said, really loving your dedication.

matt-miles likes this.
  28. SimonSez

SimonSez

Looking good!

I was looking for some epoxy primer recently and came across "HB Body 989".

When I searched for reviews on it I came across a few people in the UK who were using it and they mostly seemed to like it.

Could be worth a look.

matt-miles likes this.
  29. morac41

morac41

Would look spiffy with a Rover Coupe roof!!!

matt-miles likes this.
  30. You can make a very nice two door, with an unusual sort-of-chop - lower the back of the roof and the gutters and reshape it above the rear window to make it less bulbous. You don't have to cut the front or rear glass at all.
    IMG_0480.jpg

Hnstray, morac41, matt-miles and 2 others like this.