Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for Small 16” Front Tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, May 2, 2019.

1. Up to this point I have been using Universal Tires (owned by Coker) Austone 16” British taxi cab tires for the front on my roadster’s Ford wide 5s and the Plymouth mid 30s artillery rims on my recently completed 32 5-window for that bigs and littles look. Just heard from Universal that they are now gone as in no more along with the more expensive Dunlop equivalents. Bummer to say the least. They are working on a replacement they said would be 6 months out at the least and you know how that story will go.

Now I am looking for replacements and all I can find are Ecopias (they are close to the Austone’s in size) and the 600-16” aftermarket radials which are kind of tall in my view. Switching to 15” tires up front would not work with my present rims on either vehicle.

So what are you guys using? Any other options out there?

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm running 500/16 Excelsior's on the front of my deuce pu and roadster. 25 inches tall. Only problem with them is cost.

55styleliner likes this.
  3. I did see those and I am trying not to be picky but I am not a huge fan of the tread pattern or the price and I have heard they wear pretty quickly?

4. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tom,
    Maybe you need to spell it tyre....
    I've got some 5.50 X 16 that you are welcome to however they are WW
    Coker has Firestone ZigZag bias ply Firestone 4.504.75 X 16 listed on line...free shipping at the moment

5. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I emailed you the free shipping flyer

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Hey thanks, Larry - although I am looking for radials, bias may he my only option for the right “look@ ......

7. dan31

dan31

Diamond back tire have anything?.

8. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I’m running the 5.00 x 16 Excelsior tires as well. 3500 miles and no real visible wear. I love them.

9. Dan31 - only choice right now is a 600x16” be radial - might be mybonlyblogical choice.

55styleliner - thank you for your input. If I was going for all 4, I would do it. Right, it looks like it would just be the front two tires - backs are brand new.

10. 55styleliner

55styleliner

You could always replace all 4 and sell the rears you have now

11. If I were to replace all 4 I think the exelsior tires are better suited for my roadster. The front tires on my roadster now are the Austones and I can use them on the coupe. I have had 600-16s on the roadster before so a pair of them will hold me for now on the roadster..... choices, choices.....

This question of smaller front 16” tires comes from the fact that one of my new Austones on the coupe is out of round (it has a high spot). If it can’t be “shaved” out and remains unable to be balanced like it is now, I have to do something before taking my new build on the trips I have planned this year. This will also me to “wait” and see if a smaller radial tire pops up in the next year.

12. town sedan

town sedan

They list a 550R16 in the Auburn Deluxe line . They are shown to be 26.5" tall, but I haven't called them in awhile to see if they're available yet.
    -Dave

13. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

15. Thanks, Malcolm - has anyone run these tubeless or do they require a tube? They ain’t cheap are they? Gotta pay to play I guess .....

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  16. Ran across a Coker Catalog and they have a 155r16 Michelin tire with more of a sports car type tread pattern. Anyone running these?

Some further info ..... Although I have not run the car at speed as of yet, the tire needing shaving is running very smooth. I adjusted the tire pressure to what I like - 28-30 lbs - andxI hope to hop on the interstate tomorrow to try it out ......

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

On a newer wheel with a safety bead, no tubes necessary. Older wheel without the safety bead, they usually recommend tubes.

18. Just a final note - after wrestling with with this for so long it all seems anti-climatic in the end. The bump or bubble dissipated when the tire was at reduced to 30 lbs. Drove it at speed finally and she hopped around a lot. With the bump on the spin balancer I had added almost 7 ounces of beads. Figuring that was the problem I removed most all the beads save say 1/2 ounce and then added 2 more ounces. Tried it out yesterday and she really drives smooth save for some very minor wheel hop on older or rippled roads.

Regardless, it’s done and no need for new front tires at the moment. Thanks for all the suggestions and I at least have a couple , if not expensive, options.

Nailhead Jason and Just Gary like this.
  19. Good deal Tom! let me know if you still want to shave the tire down in the future.

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I got my last set of Excelsior's from Summit. Same price as Coker but no shipping cost. 3 days from order to delivery.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’ve got the 5.00x16 Excelciors and personally I love the tread pattern and the look.

I also bought them from Summit.

7A1C3651-47DE-4C24-95EA-FF8ECE9B6526.jpeg

Last edited: May 10, 2019