Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 54 Chevy build [emoji4]

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ceegan, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thoughts...FYI
    It's good to know what you have. I would find numbers on the block and heads and do some research. Determine cam, intake, carburetor, etc. too. If you can, maybe visit the PO again and ask? Knowing what you have will give you an idea of how the engine will behave, determine possible upgrades, changes, future replacements, etc.
    It's also good to know the condition of the engine. Chances are that it's a typically mild build, the components are in good condition and it was assembled correctly. But at this point, you don't know for sure.
    A compression test is a good method of determining the overall condition of the "top end"...the heads and valvetrain. Buy a decent compression tester that threads into the spark-plug holes. Do a search to see how to use it. Basically, you want good pressure readings (search online for specs) and consistent for all cylinders. Past that, you could pull the heads and inspect/measure the cylinder bore for wear. It should be nice and smooth with no ridge near the top. You could disassemble the heads and check the valves, seats, the fit of the valve-stems in the valve-guides, (no wiggling) etc.
    The bottom end should also be checked. Turn the engine up-side-down on the stand, pull the pan, remove the main caps and rod caps, (keep them in order!) and at least visually inspect the bearings and bearing journals for wear or damage. Possibly use a micrometer to actually measure the journals. Look for a number on the bearings that will tell you if they are standard size or oversize.
    Or just run it and cross your fingers...lol.
    If you can, test run the engine when it's out of the car. Or at least test run it in the car before you put the whole front end back on. Be sure to take a video and share the moment.
    A 2-part epoxy paint sprayed with a gun is much more durable and will last longer and continue to look better than non-hardened paint from a spray-can...especially on a hot engine.
    I like your new valve covers better than the other ones. Super-fine-sand them and polish with rouge and small buffing pads and hard-rolls. Tape off everything except the fins and logo. Paint. Wipe off the very top edges of the fins and the raised areas of the logo. Cool, man.
    You're gonna learn so much. I bet you're reading a lot and watching a lot of videos. Hmmm...let's see..."How to do a compression test". Ah yes. Well shoot...that's not hard.
    Go for it, C.
    Oh...by the way. This hot rodding stuff is gonna ruin your life. You won't have ANY time for bowling...golf...bingo...nothing like that. LOL.
    Me too. Gotta go. Replacing some wheel bearings on the pickup so I can finally go get my 440/727 for my '53 Chrysler!
    Later!

Saxman and Ceegan like this.
  2. Ceegan

Ceegan

I fired the engine when I first got it for a few seconds, I also have a new carb for it that I think is a rip off of a holly and I got a rebuild kit for it. When I pulled the cam I got the model numbers off of it and called the makers of the cam and they recommended what converter and valve springs,pushrods etc. when I pulled of the oil pan I looked it over with my dad and it looked really good. I also stuck a camera down every spark plug hole and saw cross hatching. We did do a compression check while it was in the car we took it out of and it checked out. As for going and pulling the heads off and main caps I didn’t do that but I think I’ll just cross my fingers and hope everything goes well. Thanks for the reply

Good luck on your car!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're way ahead of me. Nevermind. Lol.
    And thanks.

OLSKOOL57 and Saxman like this.
  4. Ceegan

Ceegan

Got the front clip off going to take out the motor and install the new shifter torque converter flywheel!! I’m super excited

5. Ceegan

Ceegan

Need help I bought a shifter kit that’s supposed to bolt up to my turbo 350 in the picture the shifter bolts to the tranny in a spot but there is no threads on my transmission for it to thread into. Here are some pictures if anyone can tell me what’s wrong it would be appreciated!

Edit I figured it out it has these round things that go in it. These instructions had no mention of that!

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0001.JPG

6. phat rat

phat rat

Have you considered getting the top right and making sure you can get glass cut to fit before spending a bundle on it?

OLSKOOL57, jvo and Ceegan like this.
  7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

keep going. if the top doesn't work out you can still get another body.

Ceegan likes this.
  8. Ceegan

Ceegan

Got the front clip off, pulled motor and trans, installed starter and flex plate and got the shifter mounted on the turbo 350! Lots of progress today oh and I also got the old hood off and grabbed my new one. IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0001.JPG

DIYGUY likes this.
  9. Ceegan

Ceegan

I’m confident I’ve got a good glass guy, and the top shouldn’t be to bad because my dad has a lot of experience fabbing and a lot of tools to get the job done.

DIYGUY likes this.
  10. Ceegan

Ceegan

It’ll work out! Or a hope so lol.

fastcar1953 likes this.
  11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

See Carson at Street Rod Glass in Woodcrest,, he is great with glass

12. Ceegan

Ceegan

I talked to him a while back, his pricing wasn’t competitive. I know of 3 different glass guys that are better priced.

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I didn't say he was cheap, he is just one of the best.
    How many windshields to you want to buy to be chopped?

Tman and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  14. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

Glass is something you do NOT want to be cheap about! Just because a guy is cheaper than the next doesn’t mean he’s better...think of it this way, is it really cheaper if you have to do it 2 or 3 times?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

nunattax likes this.
  15. Ceegan

Ceegan

I have all my windshields for the car.

16. Ceegan

Ceegan

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve got the glass handled by the same guy who did the glass on my dads car

[​IMG]

17. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

18. phat rat

phat rat

Is that Merc your dads car? If so that's all flat glass that's a lot different then cutting the curved glass in the Chevy windshield

Tman likes this.
  19. Ceegan

Ceegan

Knew someone was going to say that lol, the guy I’m going to use for my glass has done a lot of our cars not all flat. Yes my dad built that Merc.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    jimmy bruns and Surfcityrocker like this.
  20. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

...so your dad built the merc but the only photo you have is from street rodder

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. Ceegan

Ceegan

I don’t need to prove anything to you lol.

Cosmo49, jimmy bruns and JFK Killer like this.
  22. Ceegan

Ceegan

Starting to grind on the firewall!
    The combo of my Eastwood contour and a regular old grinder is making quick work of everything.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I won’t be able to get a lot done today as I’m going to show n go in downtown riverside.

23. Ceegan

Ceegan

[​IMG][​IMG]

Making progress! Flywheel on, stall converter, starter, new transmission seals, and got the motor and transmission married.

I also ordered a billet alternator bracket that comes off the head. I’ll sand blast it so it looks cast aluminum. Going to try and get the seats in today to mock-up where I want the shifter to be.

slv63 likes this.
  24. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Great project Ceegan looks like a great start to nice kustom keep up the work

Ceegan likes this.
  25. Ceegan

Ceegan

Thank you!

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  26. jimmy bruns

jimmy bruns
    from Chatsworth

Don't mind these jackasses on here.... going to be a badass kustom dude. Keep it up! I'm pretty sure i've seen that merc before. Does your pops still own it?

Cosmo49 likes this.
  27. Ceegan

Ceegan

Since your being cool unlike the other guy here’s a piece of the story. It was built by my dad for the show Chop Cut Rebuild. Since then the car was sold, got damaged and is now apart with my dad to be repaired and repainted. The car is going to be back together soon.. Here are some pictures [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Cosmo49 and jimmy bruns like this.
  28. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    from ct

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Ceegan likes this.
  29. Flamed48

Flamed48

When it comes time for suspension upgrades hit up Alex gambino ant gambino kustoms in San Jose he has the kits your looking for. He also built this 54 which may provide some inspiration [​IMG]

jimmy bruns likes this.
  30. Ceegan

Ceegan

I looked into it, I may use him actually or build one with my dad if he has time. Whatever works but that’s a ways down the road.