Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Drdave accidentally buys a Model A. Now what?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by drdave, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

It sits really nice. Great job.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

loudbang and drdave like this.
  2. Turned out great, Dave.

3. Yeah, I dunno what happened there. When I went to post from my phone, the app flaked out, but allowed me to save a draft. I’ve edited the post, deleted the pics and reposted them and it’s still locking them up.

Here’s the pics of the spring pack. Yes, I used the 5 bottom T leaves I had and the top four A leaves.

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

And here’s the one comparing the A and T main leaf.

IMG_0689.JPG

Bowtie Coupe, brEad, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  4. Hate you’re going to miss it. Weather looks iffy the next couple days leading up, but so far the weather in Dewey looks awesome for the weekend. Fingers crossed it holds.

5. Just took if for a spin down the driveway and back. Brakes work, runs straight, has full turning abilities without rubbing. Does hit bottom on bumps though. I’ll have to figure out what’s hitting where...later. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang, Tim and 2 others like this.

6. Can't sweat the small stuff!

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Is it a stock T leaf in back? I’d been considering dropping my front some more but then the back has to come down to about where you landed.

Wasn’t sure how I could do that til now :)

loudbang likes this.
  8. Yes, stock T spring, except it should have had more leaves....should have had 8 I think, that’s why I used the top A leaves reshaped to fit the tighter curve of the T.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  9. Before and after...

IMG_7549.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

10. After is so much better!

11. 'Mo

'Mo

12. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Sancho and drdave like this.
  13. Thank you Jim!!

I have not seen that Mo, thanks! I’ll have to check it out. Looks like I’m in about the same ballpark he is. I’m pretty close to where I was hoping to get, so, win!

Thanks Dan!! Looking forward to seeing you!

loudbang and Sancho like this.
  14. Got the seat belts in and went ahead and covered over the dry rotted seats. Was hoping the upholstery kit would be here so I could at least redo the seats, but no luck. The rear seat cover is the worst and all apart on the passenger side...no one wants to sit on that mess. So, a cheap seat of king sheets in a half coordinating color and we have some temporary seat covers. Not my best ever upholstery job, but my cheapest and quickest. Lol

IMG_0707.JPG

Just for grins, here’s the rear floor pan. Really, this car is really solid. The only real rust I have found is a garlic bread sized spot in the pass rear fender well.

IMG_0705.JPG

I threw down the new main center section of carpet in the rear and flipped the new front carpet in over the torn up original rubber mat. All set to load up for the SK....what do you know....I’ve actually made a deadline for once. Might be the first time ever. Lol

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    54delray, Stogy, dwollam and 7 others like this.
  15. 'Mo

'Mo

16. mutant55

mutant55

The after pic looks great, nice choice of tire size and perfect stance now! Great hot rod...

17. Cool! Thanks Mo! I haven't started digging into it any yet, but that kinda info confirms my gut to keep the banger and just hop it up rather than go through all the stuff that comes with putting a flathead in....not that it's the end of the world to do that, but it's more than I think I'm going to want to mess with on this car, since it's a good runner now, just needs a bit more uhmph.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  18. Thanks! I can claim nothing original on my efforts.....just read a lot of other threads and copied what they did....just with a less desirable body style. LOL

19. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Less desirable is a matter of opinion. I've always wanted a Model A....I'm a weirdo, I know, but I'd rather have an "A" than a '32. And I would probably not have touched the original, but lord, the mods you made look good.

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wonder if I accidentally buy a model A if I could call it a mother’s day present?

21. I doubt there is any lack of desire for your more-door Model A. And you have only improved it.

drdave, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  22. Really like the new look with the stance. Amazing how lowering and wheels can change a cars look so much. Doesn’t look like Aunt Tillies Sunday car any more. Cool!

23. LOL...by less desirable I meant a 4dr compared to the A coupe, sedan and roadster threads I’ve been reading, but you got me on it not being a ‘32, etc. Now you need you one of these....more room than you truck! Haha!

Worth a shot....lol

Thanks man! I appreciate it!

That’s one of those things that we all “know”, but man, so hard to get to sometimes. You’re right, not Aunt Tillies, but maybe her younger sister Marge’s....those dang youngsters! Haha

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Sancho, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  24. 'Mo

'Mo

loudbang, drdave and Sancho like this.
  25. 'Mo

'Mo

How say Ye...Heresy?

'32 Bumpers?....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or...?('38 Zephyr)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and drdave like this.
  26. mutant55

mutant55

In my humble opinion with this hot rod, it just looks like a lot of fun to drive, and the bonus with the 4 door is if you have a few Buddies or family members it, it's a good time for all right? I assume that the case with the quickie back seat upholstery job you worked on anyway.... Keep up the good work...

27. Those are some good ideas Mo’, got me to thinking. I’ll be researching the banger hop ups, too.

@mutant55, the quickie upholstery job is just to cover it up for the weekend for my wife and daughter to ride in for the weekend...hoping for a fun time for all.

brEad, Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  28. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Dave, you don't know HOW bad I want an A sedan, two door or four door. LOL Unfortunately, I am out of project space, and still have to go over to Oklahoma in a couple weeks to pick up a running and driving AD truck I've bought and paid for.... Obviously, I have Automotive ADD, but I'd say you have a worse case than I do. :D Is the poor Merc any closer to the road?

loudbang likes this.
  29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

He said it, I didn`t.

30. Ending up with a Model A is eeeeaaaaasy....”all” you have to do is show up at the right auction at the wrong time when your wife is out of town. LOL. Automotive ADD? Me? Naaaaaahhhh! Oh yeah, the Merc is on the road and sees plenty of miles...don’t ask me if it’s completely painted however....

Hey now.... hahaha!!!!