Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford (maybe T-bird) 3 speed w/ OD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jokester, May 2, 2019.

1. Jokester

Jokester

Hi all, A friend is having a sale and needs some help identifying some transmissions. Do the old (50's) Ford (and maybe Thunderbird) 3 speed w/ OD have a lever for the OD operation as well as the solenoid? The three he has all have 2 shift levers on the side cover or on the side of the case, and a solenoid on the tail housing, AND an additional lever on the tail housing. I'm a Chevy guy and haven't seen a lever operated OD. My HAMB searches were inconclusive. Online searches didn't yield any pictures. Sorry, I don't have any pictures. If I go out again, I'll take my camera.

Any help??

Thanks for any info.

2. twvandy

twvandy

3. ALL BW R10 and R11 OD units have a lever on them, regardless of which brand transmission they're installed behind. It's not actually an 'operation' lever, it's an enable/disable (lock out) lever. The actual engaging/disengaging of the OD is done by the solenoid/governor as conditions warrant unless it's locked out.

4. Jokester

Jokester

Very good, thanks for the info. So what is the difference between the one with a top cover and the one with side cover?
    Thanks again.

.bjb

5. Ford used three different three-speeds in the '50s, all available with OD as an option. There's a light-duty Ford-built trans that's a side-loader, this has a square side cover. Next step up is the T86 BW unit that's a top loader, this is considered as a medium duty. Top of the line is the T85 BW, a side loader again with the bottom edge of the cover being curved. The T-bird would have the T85 as standard.

6. Basically the trans is the same as a regular 3spd whatever the make and the o/d units are fitted to those trans. The o/d housings are different but they all have the same components (cable lever, solenoid and governor).

7. Jokester

Jokester

Thank you very much.

.bjb

8. No problem, also at least around here the Chevy o/d trans is worth more then the Ford version.