Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest How do you old farts do it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I was going to ask "what's a hand truck" so I looked it up instead. I always called it a "dolly".
    A very useful gadget for sure.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

never sit still. if your moving your doing something.

fordflambe and Deuces like this.
  3. patterg2003

patterg2003

As long as I don't feel as old guy looking back at me in the mirror then I am okay. Lately I have been doing a big physical job every summer. I did renovation work 3 years ago to our old house then hired 2 university students to help shingle the roof to finish the work. I climbed the scaffold and hiked the shingles up to the guys. Two years ago I hired a contractor to dig out around the basement & I did all the grunt work to demolish remnants of an old sunroom basement, waterproofing, insulating, weeping tile, a set of full depth frost footings for a new deck, and did the landscape cleanup after the hole was filled in. Last year I built a deck with my son. Helped a friend who was building a cabin on a hillside. My nephew has a huge house on the lake. All his friends offered him to help reside the house so he took on the job. No one came back after the first week end. He had a month off and was sunk with the magnitude of the work. I went out everyday for about a month to help side the house. The work was on 3 levels of scaffolding & so we were like moneys. The house was finished the same day the snow arrived. Sometimes my younger son came out. When the boys took a break I would tease them & tell them to try to keep up. The smile on his face when he hammered the last nail was worth every minute. I find new muscles in the mornings but it feels good. I have a handful of friends who do like their own work so we help one another with the heavy work. We are of the same mind that we are not paying someone for work we can manage. We all have different skill sets so we work well. More coffee then beer these days. I think as we get older we use the experience to get it done without killing ourselves. Everyday I am thankful that the body still works. I can't remember for sure but I think the mind still works but always wonder when I hide tools on myself.

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Folks, just remember what my Grandfather used to say."Slow and sure beats the hell out of quick and dead".I`m 73,and I do have my share of aches and pains.Some mornings I sound like a Rice Crispy Kids commercial."Snap,crackle and pop".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Some mornings I sound like a Rice Crispy Kids commercial."Snap,crackle and pop". sounds about right.:D

Deuces likes this.
  6. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

KEEP MOVING!! turn the damn tv off only get on the computer when you need to do research or after dinner get on the HAMB.

I have overhead track over my big lathe and milling machine. I never lift anything heavier than my lunch box. I have an electric hoist on a trolley that runs on the overhead track to do the heavy lifting. Used to be I could lift my 12" rotary table for my mill, not anymore.

I have a standing appointment with a massage at my home every Tuesday at 3 pm. I grab a hot shower just before she gets here and that seems to help her get the kinks out. She is a deep tissue therapist and I will tell you its is worth it to find a real therapist not a boutique like massage envy(total waste of money). Use your legs and knees not your back at all times. Always work smart not hard. I'm 75 and in my shop every morning at 9 am until noon 30 minutes for lunch, then back in the shop until 4. Relax and vegetate until dinner time. After dinner head back to the shop until 8 pm. Then computer time and some tv. Bed by 9:30 watch the late news and lights out by 10. Up at 4 am and start my day. Keep in mind its hard to hit a moving target.

just sayin''

brasscarguy

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Only 72, but I think it often starts out early as an attitude thing. I learned to enjoy doing, rather than watching, fairly young. Now, I keep moving because not moving's just so damn boring. Also, I pretty much always've had pain of one sort or another, so got used to that early on. Now, the new pains're just the same old, same old.

Over the years I've seen quite a few "retirees" die soon after they quit working. Particularly if they had no active hobbies to indulge. That "keep moving" thing again.

Do have to admit though, that it's a bit harder to keep the attitude up each time another old friend dies.

8. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm a few months shy of seventy. Health-wise, everything is still working, just not on the same day. A lot of my pondering time in the shop revolves around leverage and force multipliers. First time I pushed a spring bushing out, I used HB 3-in-1 frame tool with a breaker bar. Took a half hour and winded me. When I did it again a few years later, I positioned the tool so I could get a impact wrench on it and press it out in five minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I survived a massive heart attack in 2016, the recovery from surgery was tough, but I was swinging a wrench 2.5 months later. I'm doing well considering. I had an echo-stress test done early this week, got the crap beat out of me with the ultrasound, the technician was pushing hard against my ribs and I'm all bruised up. Tests were inconclusive, I go for a nuke stress test soon. Got grand jury for a month looming, I may postpone it so I can get back in better shape than sitting around 5 days a week in a court room.

10. testdepth

testdepth

My 80 yr old step father lives in Northern California where it snows and to this day he hops in his truck with his chainsaw and drives up to the mountains to cut his own firewood. He brings it back by himself and splits it with an axe. He keeps atleast 10 cords available. Grew up in a different time where hard work was routine and he loves it. I aspire to be just like him. Most of the old farts didn't spend their days on their I-phone looking at pintrest or playing damn candy crush or playing video games.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  11. v8flat44

v8flat44

testdepth, love your avatar and yer step father. I'm 5 years from 80 and do what i can on my car, house etc. . Bad back and some metal parts, but keep going. Someone here said: I may have to grow old, but i don't have to grow up"! Lord willing, i will take a lick'n, but keep on tick'n till HE calls me home. mike

12. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Old is a figment of the imagination, then the body takes over and tells you otherwise. I think someone said that somewhere. Hell I don't know...….

Deuces likes this.
  13. Mahty

Mahty

I’m not that old, 58, but have learned that if you don’t keep moving, you won’t be able to. Been beating pistons out of a motor that’s still in the car, this week. Takes longer to get out from under there, but I’m doing it. Because I keep doing it. If you stop challenging yourself physically, your done. May as well get that rocking chair out.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

What? where am I? oh hell, I've crapped my pants.......again, never trust a....

bobss396, Deuces and Mahty like this.
  15. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

"I ain't as good as I once was,
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was."
    Toby Keith

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  16. vetteson

vetteson

At 73 I am encouraged to see older guys can still get under a car. I can still get under a car, but getting out and up is a different story. Good thing I have things to grab onto. Starting resto of my 6th vehicle in 16 years (since I retired). Hopefully I will run out of money and end the madness.

fordflambe, bobss396, raven and 3 others like this.
  17. X-cpe

X-cpe

This past spring in lab I was kneeling down on the floor to check a measurement. As I was getting up I felt a hand at my elbow. A student was helping me get up. I had to turn away and chuckle.

From a "Pickles" cartoon on my bulletin board:
    #1-How would you like to be remembered
    #2-As someone who left the world a better place.
    #1- That's good.
    #2-How would you like to be remembered?
    #1- As that stubborn old man who just wouldn't die.

18. LAROKE

LAROKE

I hum an old tune to myself "Hello darkness my old friend, I got up too fast again"

19. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Last night I watched Jeopardy and the latest group of individuals who know everything about nothing.
    Currently they have a guy on there who is pretty amazing with his quick recall and knowledge. You have to wonder why all these people aren't millionaires already. I guess its because most of what many of them know isn't something that translates into useful or beneficial applications.
    When they were asked what make and model of car the Dukes of Hazard drove.....they all had a blank look !

20. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Car? What car? I was watching the Daisy Dukes more at that age!!

21. topher5150

topher5150

was????

Deuces and WB69 like this.
  22. 34Larry

34Larry

This thread is an inspiration to be sure.:) It proves to me that there are many, many guys like myself, feeling the pain and not giving in. It also says that your/our health and the results there of are every bit as important as is any tool or tools in our garage or where ever you are engaged in this hobby. Thanks to all of you who are close to this 80 y.o. who got up @ 4:30 AM because of unimageable back pain, planned my day starting with cutting the 1/4 acre grass, erecting our patio gazebo, and then installing a screen that the wind blew off. Any time left will be spent with Mothers and a terry cloth towel polishing the jag chromed reared and front end. I usually knock off around 5:00 PM unless there is something really pressing. You younger guys, perhaps gals stay that way as long as you can, heed what a lot of these rodder/hobbyists are saying, cause IMO, Health should be #1 in your life, AND that of your significant other, (your wife.) Nuff said by me, just had to express my gratitude to all who are just keep'n on , keep'n on. :);):D:D and all the Moderators who have allowed this threat to run here.
    (Now off to the first chore, the damned grass, then some lunch and the pills at lunch I have to take)

23. 34Larry

34Larry

Saw that also, answered it and chucked just a bit.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. 34Larry

34Larry

never trust a up coming fart, it could be wet.

Deuces likes this.
  25. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Well, lets see, it was loose shoes and what?..... Hey, just kidding I remember perfectly

26. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

21991F59-9403-401E-9AB7-01E51AC05ADD.jpeg Did someone say Ibuprofen?

27. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

chryslerfan55, Dino 64 and Deuces like this.
  28. I'm 67, have seven fused vertebrae in my neck, have six bulging discs and arthritis in my lower back, arthritis in my knees and hands, and still spent most of the week under my T bucket working on the brakes and wiring. I never complain. At least I am still able to do this stuff! In a few weeks I will drive this car to the Ocean City Cruisin'. 200 miles round trip not counting the 3-4 days of cruising while I'm down there...
    Guess I'm just a glutton for punishment!

chryslerfan55, j-jock, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  29. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I just built an addition for my sister (I'm 65). The 43 year old I built it with goes to a business roundtable group every Friday, he showed pictures of the addition to the group and someone said he was to old to be doing that kind of work. Blew their minds when he told them my age.
    Just like eating an elephant- you do it one bite at a time.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and LAROKE like this.
  30. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

It took me 10 years to complete my last home built project. At 75 I'm not going to start another project that the family will have to deal with.