Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Real deal SOHC 427 A/SR FOUND been sitting since 70

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PA Gas, May 2, 2019.

1. PA Gas

PA Gas

I recently acquired a real deal A/SR that has been sitting since 1970. I bought it from a very nice couple , Dave and Rhoda Forry. My jaw about hit the floor when I first saw it and when they told me that they ran a SOHC 427 Ford and a Winters clutch C6!! They unfortunately sold the motor and trans about 35 years ago.

Attached Files:

HunterYJ, tommyd, SOHC427 and 30 others like this.
  2. PA Gas

PA Gas

So after finding out that this car ran a SOHC motor I did a little research. Dave and Rhoda bought the car out of Owensboro KY in 66 and hauled it home with their fastback big block Mustang (how cool is that)!! Anyway I find out that this car was runner up to “The High And Mighty” at Indy in 66.

Attached Files:

3. i cant even imagine the thrill he would have felt sitting behind that iconic power-plant! In a stripped down model a to boot!! ( also, when is the last time anyone saw a fastback mustang with snow tires

deadbeat, mgtstumpy, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  4. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

Very Kool !
    Bring it back to 66 specs. or as close as possible.

mgtstumpy, Deuces and loudbang like this.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow what a find! Bummer the 427 got sold off which indicates they must have decided to never race it again? Was it was destined to become a Street Rod?.
    Do you have a healthy motor sitting around for it? If not, I'd be tempted to partner with friend that has a vintage runner mill sitting on a stand ready to go and run it at a couple of events such as the HAMB drags. That was a "traditional" drag/LSR deal. One dude with a car/chassis, the other with a hot mill.

Stogy, Deuces, raven and 1 other person like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Check in the Drag roadsters thread I'm pretty sure I have posted photos of it.

7. Cragar Slot and Dot steering wheel

8. PA Gas

PA Gas

But wait there’s more.... I did search the the Internet and found some interesting things. The car when it ran out of KY was under the name Basham and Yeiser. Here are some old photos and a WANTED for the car.

Attached Files:

SOHC427, deadbeat, mad mikey and 12 others like this.
  9. PA Gas

PA Gas

I called the number from the wanted ad that’s probably 15+ years old and I left a message. I little while later I get a call from a very excited Phillip Yeiser (original builders son). He has been looking for this car for a very long time. It took me only a few minutes to realize that he deserves this car so we struck a deal and this Saturday he’s coming to get his family’s car. Before I got ahold of him I cleaned her up a little bit and put some of the pieces back together.

Attached Files:

10. loudbang

loudbang

Well that was very gracious of you. Good man.

HunterYJ, SOHC427, OLSKOOL57 and 8 others like this.
  11. That's a great story and cool of you to take the time to find its history. Sounds like you made a young man very happy! :)

SOHC427, OLSKOOL57, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  12. That's a great ending.

OLSKOOL57, mgtstumpy, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  13. PA Gas

PA Gas

Last weekend was an all Ford FE event at Beaver Springs Dragway in PA so I cleaned it up and took it up in the 50mph winds. It actually cleaned up better than I imagined. When getting ready to load I had a guycome up to me and tell me he has an old photo of my car from Maple Grove. Thanks Joe Grippo for the pic. Just as we loaded the guy I had this older gentleman come up to me and say he knows the guy that hast THE motor and trans from this car!! I asked him for his name and he says hold on I’ll go get him(Holy Shit was I excited!!) So I meet Scott and he had bought the SOHC 427 , clutch C6 and headers about 30-35 years ago. He never did anything with the stuff and we are trying to make a deal on all the pieces at this time. What a week of automotive excitement!

Attached Files:

IronFord, HunterYJ, SOHC427 and 32 others like this.
  14. khead47

khead47

very cool story.

weps, OLSKOOL57, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

Joe Grippo is a noted photographer on the east coast. :)

16. PA Gas

PA Gas

Yes, these guys had incredible courage to stuff that motor in a unboxed Model T frame and run in the 9's at 148mph

17. Man, I bet you are still dizzy from all that has transpired over the week-end.:D.....Remarkable to first find the car, but then to find the 427 SOHC as well as the tranny...All I can say is DAMN that's AMAZING!

SOHC427, OLSKOOL57, mad mikey and 7 others like this.
  18. Love hearing stories like this. You did the right thing all the way around.
    Chappy

19. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is so cool on so many levels!! First that you find it, then you see the ad, the son calls you back from that, then you show it at an event where someone has a pic of it, then a guy shows up who knows the guy who bought the engine and trans and gets you in tough with him!! Holy crap you should play the lottery! And good on you man for letting it return to the owners son. You are stocked up on good karma for a while to come!

SOHC427, OLSKOOL57, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding job Sir.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

21. I'll be damned. Best story of 2019

22. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

If the deal doesn't work, I have a clutch-C6 from a Logghe car, complete with the handmade ratchet shifter. Also have some friends that could put together a proper SOHC

SOHC427, deadbeat, OLSKOOL57 and 4 others like this.
  23. raven

raven

Wow...
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

OLSKOOL57, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  24. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

What a cool story, its great when stuff falls into place. Hope the guys son puts a re-build thread on here

25. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

26. catdad49

catdad49

Some things are just Meant to Be...............more to come!

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats @PA Gas that's a nice one...a period canvas...and after fully poking my nose through the thread, moving it on to the family tree was and interesting turn...

As alluded it really was stuffed full of engine wasn't it?...;)

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  28. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Cool story. Make sure the "new" old owner joins the HAMB and posts up his restoration of the car.

deadbeat, OLSKOOL57, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

Makes me wonder who has my old Gasser. The one in my avatar

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.