Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What color is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AZbent, May 1, 2019.

1. AZbent

AZbent

I was at the Peterson automotive museum the other day, I saw this Mercury concept car. I really like the color of the body on the car. Does anybody know if the color is a factory color? If so what is the name of it?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

The whole point of concept cars, is to show new things that are not yet available...and likely will never be available.

I'd be shocked if it were a color that had been used on anything else.

Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  3. Rckt98

Rckt98

Shit that is an ugly car. Some of the concept cars looked great but this one missed the boat.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Warm beer.....( an Ed Roth color)

Deuces likes this.

5. Who said you can't polish a turd but you can sprinkle glitter on it?:D.

Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  6. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Not sure about the color but I have to agree that the car is butt ugly. (And that is coming from a life long Mercury guy)
    Some of those FoMoCo concept cars were strange for sure. Here is one I saw last year.....the color of the roof looks like the other Mercury concept.
    92C89171-5948-4492-8E7D-01677988239D.jpeg 03196AC3-ACA3-4170-8CC0-1D9665985796.jpeg

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

My computer is so old all the pictures show up in black and white.
    Can't help you.

8. clem

clem

Vintage vehicles, Automotive history and stories from motoring's past.
    Mercury D-524 1955

Secret concept car became a movie star

Metallic copper.

Has connections to George Barris.
    Click on the red bit above, hopefully the link works !

Deuces likes this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

This color on the custom car reminded me of the book by Tom Wolfe, “The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby.” It was required reading for a just turned 20 something socked away 400 miles from home for the first time. It was…”I’m going away for college…” with all of that scene that we have heard and seen over the years.

Some eventually like it and some learn to like it. College life needed something to make it seem like home, So Cal. Sure, new roommates and new college friends made it worthwhile. But, it was not So Cal, the beaches, and the hot rod/drag race culture, etc.

"The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby is the title of Tom Wolfe's first collected book of essays, published in 1965. The book is named for one of the stories in the collection that was originally published in Esquire magazine in 1963 under the title "There Goes That Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby Around the Bend …" Wolfe's essay for Esquire and this, his first book, are frequently heralded as early examples of New Journalism."

The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby is Wolfe's account of the custom car culture centers on Ed Roth, one of the fathers of the Kustom Kulture movement and George Barris, who had a completely different philosophy of customizing cars (Roth’s pure art approach, as compared to Barris’ cars that were still designed for drivers), but called himself the "King of the Kustomizers."

I knew of the essays, but the whole book made it seem like I never left So Cal and its old histories. But, it took a year later in 1966, to realize I needed reminders of So Cal and its varied culture we grew up in, during our teenage years. The move back south 400 miles was to finish college and also to (accidentally) meet my lifelong friend and future wife.

Jnaki

So, So Cal does have its rewards all of these 53 years later… It also made me buy another new copy of the “The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby”, too.

upload_2019-5-2_5-23-36.png

Hnstray and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i think the majority of the concept cars suck!

11. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

When I was in highschool I painted my truck a similar color. It was a Ford color, if i remember correctly it was called "Copper Mica".

Deuces likes this.
  12. AZbent

AZbent

The car itself missed the mark by a long ways, but the color is what caught my attention. Thanks all for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  13. brady1929

brady1929

Hope you are not on the Internet when you are supposed to be working! Haha ha.

Deuces likes this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like burnt metallic orange...???.. :confused::cool:

15. Deuces

Deuces

I had to take a second look at it..... Yeah.... It's ugly! :confused:

16. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ