Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. ...as handy as you guys are, why not make it a full metal top like late 31's had...

loudbang likes this.
  2. that is the plan, but it will have wood ribbing inside like the original.
    when I went to get the wood the previous owner says he has the visor in one of his other barns. I plan to get all the dimensions set with angled steel. put the visor on and play "connect the dots" with both the wood and the outer sheet.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, That 1910 date is key to some totally useless trivia. :confused:Bob

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. that is another one of Charlie's creations, 33-4 pickup built on a cut down I ton chassis. if I remember right he built two out of 3 trucks and some scrounged parts. 422541A5-D997-4B16-95F8-3B21BB7FDFEE.jpeg

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

Any updates? This photo was posted today in the Vintage photos by jeepster and I thought of your project. Bob

6. no, Charlie hurt his leg and I have been out of town for work.......hopefully get to it this weekend.

loudbang likes this.
  7. So now Dubs are traditional? :confused::rolleyes: HRP

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not Dubs, but Tribs.

9. Charlie came by today and worked on the cab. he removed the upper braces from the windshield posts. he also scrounged up a header panel, cross member and the angled piece for above the windshield. the parts came off of a friends 2dr. IMG_4892.JPG IMG_4893.JPG

10. I went to Fitchburg swop meet today and picked up a visor, in case the previous owner doesn't find the original. scored this straight but rusty visor. I called Charlie to tell him and he said the owner got him the visor, hood and a couple other pieces, moments before:rolleyes: . he said the original is all bent so we will choose the best one for the project and save the other for his next build. IMG_4898.JPG IMG_4899.JPG

11. kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  12. Charlie and I spent 6hrs hitting things with hammers. we were able to get the dash rail support ironed out but no matter how much we tried to push the windshield posts apart, we could not get the passenger side to "stay". so we decided to cut the outer sheet metal away from the post. IMG_4915.JPG IMG_4916.JPG

13. once the spot welds were drilled out I used a hack saw to cut the piece off at the tear. the inner structure had apposing bends which were holding the post crooked. we now had it exposed so we could straighten it all out. IMG_4917.JPG IMG_4918.JPG

14. I was able to get the outer sheet metal beat back into shape. IMG_4919.JPG IMG_4931.JPG IMG_4932.JPG IMG_4923.JPG

oliver westlund, MP&C, OFT and 10 others like this.
  15. we put the doors back on and used the jack to spread the posts into position. I drilled the spot welds out of the two horizontal supports on either post and also sandblasted and drilled the spot welds on the cross piece Charlie picked up. it had been cut in half so I used the measurements we took off the other truck to put it back together at the correct length. we then clamped and welded it to the truck. henry's spot welds were in the exact spots, it looked like I drilled straight through both pieces at the same time. IMG_4893.JPG IMG_4921.JPG

16. we used the windshield frame to check for square and a straight edge to get the post straight. we are sure we have the cowl right were we we want it. IMG_4922.JPG IMG_4926.JPG IMG_4927.JPG

17. we also spent some time getting the front door edge gaps good. driver side front is perfect and the back of the door follows the cab nicely. IMG_4924.JPG

18. passenger side door gaps follow the cowl nicely but where it meets the back of the cab is another story. the cab is still bent and the window frame is a little bent. IMG_4925.JPG
    IMG_4920.JPG

19. Charlie also picked up a whole coupe seat, we think we can modify the springs and upholstery for the truck. the original visor from the truck is not bent that bad so we will be using that one and selling the one I picked up. IMG_4928.JPG IMG_4929.JPG IMG_4930.JPG

20. Outstanding work. I know that feeling of pride and gratification that comes with saving what others wright off as a lost cause. Your not out of the Woods yet but dang close.

Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. thanks, it does feel good and once the back of the passenger door and cab are aligned and I get rid of the "stretch", the project is, just an old truck repair.

MP&C, OFT, Bowtie Coupe and 2 others like this.
  22. Wow, you guys break it down into simple steps making it look easy when I know it is anything but “easy”. Nice work!

Stogy, brad2v, Bowtie Coupe and 2 others like this.
  23. Slopok

Slopok

Damn, I thought that those Paintless Dent Busters were good til I saw this! Great workmanship.

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  24. BJR

BJR

Very impressive work!

tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm sure the screw holes were just as accurate in the Chevrolets of that era, its just that all the wood rotted away.:( Bob

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    OFT, tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  26. Bob, when I remade the wood in the bottom of the doors for my chevy. both of the old boards were the exact size, one left side and one right, but the exact dimension. despite being mass produced, their still was a guy, close to the work/craftsmanship to make stuff precise.

27. Borrowed a moisture meter from @FolksWaggin and tested the wood to get some base numbers. I will check it again over the next couple months.
    it is weird that the piece I already installed has the highest reading. maybe because it is up against the metal? the piece I cut out next to it is lower than the rest of the timber.
    note the original piece is just over 12 percent.
    IMG_5062.JPG IMG_5064.JPG IMG_5061.JPG IMG_5063.JPG IMG_5065.JPG

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ones been dead a lot longer, different part of tree, different type of Oak? What do you figure?...