Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 54 Chevy build [emoji4]

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ceegan, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Ceegan

Ceegan

Starting off I’m a 17 year old who doesn’t know a-lot about Hot rods and Kustoms. I’m building a chopped 53 Chevy. It has a 54 Chevy front end and tail lights so I’ll refer to it as a 54 from now on. I’ve been working on it on and off for the past year but decided I want it finished before next school year so I can have something to drive (this is going to be my daily). My goal for this car is to get it running then put money into it as I go. I plan on doing a m2 with bags all around for suspension but that’s not going to happen for awhile since money is really tight and it takes money to work on these cars. I’ve got a lot ahead of me but I’m up for the challenge. Since I’m young and I know very little about these cars in particular I’ll probably ask a lot of questions and seem dumb a lot. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I’ll take so more pictures when I get home, feel free to ask questions and tell me what you know it all helps!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 41hemi

41hemi

It's really nice to see young ones are still interested in fixing up old cars! From your pictures it looks like you are not afraid of a challenge so stick with it! Hopefully you are trained in Mig welding. If not you probably should get some training or experience. Good luck!!

427 sleeper and Ceegan like this.
  3. 'Mo

'Mo

Chevy used that same front suspension on Corvettes until 1962, so you're good there.

Ceegan likes this.
  4. Ceegan

Ceegan

Thank you, I’ll need it.

5. Ceegan

Ceegan

I actually have the entire suspension on it. I meant that as future plans

6. Ceegan

Ceegan

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here are some more up to date pictures of the car, I have all the gauges, glass that’s not cut, seats, I have a Ron Francis wiring harness, shifter for my t350, a mint hood, all the chrome and plenty more. I’m mostly being held back by my lack of knowledge lol, Right now I’m finishing up running brake lines and about to start rebuilding the rear brakes.

jimmy bruns and BigO like this.
  7. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

Let’s see a full side shot to get an idea of the chop

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Sounds like your going at it the right way, and as far as saving money for the next part of the project, when i was a young man we called that, "a poor man car payment plan". Good luck and we're here for you. BigO

9. Ceegan

Ceegan

[​IMG]That’s as far back as my fence allows me

10. Ceegan

Ceegan

Thank you! Will definitely post here if I have any questions

11. Where are you located?

12. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

Looks decent. Did the person you got it from start the chop then bail?

13. Ceegan

Ceegan

Riverside California

BigO likes this.
  14. Ceegan

Ceegan

It was chopped at a car show as a promotional gig, I got it passed down to me by my dad, he knows a lot but never has time to work with me since he gets home around around 6:30 tired and is working on the weekend.

slv63 and BigO like this.
  15. He may not be able to physically help but I'll bet he will be happy to talk with you about it. Let friends know what your doing and the word will get around and you'll get introduced to other kids and adults that would love to help, I've had a lot of you guys hang out at my shop in the past just to learn. Great memories, and years later they're some of my best friends.

Tman, mario711 and 427 sleeper like this.
  16. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

You’re on the west coast so finding SOMEONE with the skills to help you shouldn’t be too bad...plus, you have this forum

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome Ceegan!
    Does us older guys good to see young guys like you with a passion for these old cars. I like your spirit...seems like you have a great attitude. As far as being "dumb", you obviously have more knowledge about this stuff than you give yourself credit for...especially for a 17 year old...and especially these days! With such a willingness to listen and learn...and even respond in kind with commas and periods and everything?!?!?...lol...you're a welcome addition.

Advice? You'll get plenty here...the best.
    My advice? I'll forgo anything technical right now and just say...
    Be careful. Think before you do stuff. Imagine the worst that could possibly happen with jacks, jackstands, rotory tools and stuff...and try to avoid all that. You'll bust your knuckles. (try pushing the wrench with an open hand...lol) You'll get a cut and pinch here and there. Just don't get squished. Don't dismember or kill yourself and maybe you can get to be as old as some of us here and carry on this hot rod hobby...and the knowledge for others.
    And have fun.
    Looking forward to your build!

427 sleeper, Saxman, Ceegan and 3 others like this.
  18. Slopok

Slopok

Looks like someone heated and ruined the front coil springs, floor looks good though.

Ceegan likes this.
  19. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

alot of work ahead , but plenty of parts sources and advice to help you along the way. just enjoy and try not to get bored with it.

Ceegan likes this.
  20. Ceegan

Ceegan

Thank you that’s all GREAT advice, I already destroyed my knuckles while I was installing wheel studs. I look forward to sharing my build and story as it progresses!

21. Ceegan

Ceegan

As it stands right now I’m having alot of fun and working on it everyday... and poring all my money into it lol.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  22. Ceegan

Ceegan

Yea someone did heat them up and floors look good besides a few spot where someone used fiberglass as filler I’ll get that fixed sometime!

23. Ceegan

Ceegan

I have a couple friends who like old cars and are happy to help me! I’ll have plenty of questions to ask the forum!

24. Ceegan

Ceegan

My dads a great resource he’s been in the business for awhile. I call him almost everyday asking how to do certain things.

BigO likes this.
  25. Ceegan

Ceegan

Today I started running some basic wiring to the ign switch and some wires that go to the starter. I would be further ahead but the free harness I got didn’t come with a diagram and I can’t find any online since it was discontinued. I emailed the company and asked if I could get a digital copy no response yet! [​IMG][​IMG]

I also have this Chinese harness that I bought that’s about as basic as it gets. I’m going to use it for it’s wire and throw away the fuse panel when I’m done. [​IMG]

I also need an alternator mount, I have a few lowers but they hit my steering arms. All in all a successful day.

The main thing I’m waiting on now is a cherry picker so I can install the new torque converter I bought and install the flywheel. Also I’m going to rattle can the firewall while I’m at it. Hoping to borrow one next week.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  26. JFK Killer

JFK Killer

Ceegan there will be days when you hit a wall an you have to do work over 2 or 3 times. Then there will be days that stuff works right the first time. What ever you do dont give up on your dream. I started hanging in my friends dads garage at the age of 12. I learned alot about cars, life an women. Im 44 now an I remember those days like it was yesterday. His dad told me the same thing Im telling you. What ever happens dont give up keep on keepin on

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mario711 and Ceegan like this.
  27. JFK Killer

JFK Killer

I would probably just use that complete wiring harness... probably work ok for your first car

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Ceegan

Ceegan

Thanks for the advice, I know I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me but everyday I make a little more progress. I just can’t wait to be cruising it!

slv63 likes this.
  29. Ceegan

Ceegan

I thought about it and it may be easier this isn’t just a first car it’s going to be my daily for the next couple years. I’m planning on running a lot of electrical components. I’d rather spend the extra time now.

30. Ceegan

Ceegan

Here’s the story about the engine, I bought it from a guy who had it built for his 55 Chevy. It has a 513 lift cam and some other goodies I never wrote down. He never got to drive the car with the motor in it because he had a medical issue and couldn’t finish the car at the time.

I took it apart about 2 years ago and put new gaskets all around and new valve springs. It has a double roller timing chain ( or something along those lines) and a aluminum timing cover.

Here’s what it looked like when I bought it
    [​IMG]

After I painted it and looked what cam it had.
    [​IMG]

I painted it gold to match what a 60s Custom would look like, I personally don’t like the valve covers I’ve got on it so I purchased these [​IMG]

I like them more and they are more period correct for the car, I need to paint them or polish them I don’t know yet or have the extra money so they are on the back burner.

nunattax, Surfcityrocker and BigO like this.