Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical VISE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnfin, Apr 21, 2019.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I was pulling a door panel off my car today and someone referred to me as a technician. I looked around to see who the heck he was talking about.

2. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

ok, here it is. looks stripped. its a crapsman brand

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Look in the MSC catalog and get a piece of acme threaded rod the proper pitch and fix it.

iwanaflattie likes this.
  4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Geez, Bob,

I laughed so hard, I couldn't see the computer screen.

Nostrebor and Blue One like this.
  5. Now if you were to repair it would you repair the existing acme thread or machine a new replacement part on a lathe?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I'd throw that POS in the trash and get a good Wilton. That's just sad.

7. Fordors

Fordors

While that may be true I suspect he earns a decent wage with benefits. And that is more than I can say for many that have a degree and are under employed today. Everyone has their place in this world.

8. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Not the best photo, but I don't think it looks stripped.

9. 5window

5window

I don't know. It's a pretty rare engineer, even more rare if the engineer is male, who wants to know how to put something back together BEFORE they take it apart! :)

Nostrebor likes this.
  10. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

i know you cant just throw an acme screw in it. the end is part of the shaft and was heat treated as a unit. i promise you it would snap at that point. time for a heavy duty vise.

11. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Go to Garage Journal.

12. Does a Vise fall under their lifetime guarantee on tools???
    Chappy

13. Sadly, the last few Wiltons I have seen were made in China with USA made prices.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Terrible80 and Truck64 like this.
  14. Looks like a normal acme thread to me.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

46international likes this.
  15. golferforpar

golferforpar
    from Wisc

Totally agree!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

found out it is a wilton. i can buy another one for the price of the screw. chinese junk.

17. It used to. Way back, I brought mine in to local Sears store. Part of the body had cracked. Had replacement parts, but didn't have piece I needed. They were going to replace whole vise, but with a smaller one. I decided to keep mine, and we welded it back together. Still going.

18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

If you're one of the engineers in the papermill I worked in, you.re probably turning it in the wrong direction. :D

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Nostrebor likes this.
  19. BJR

BJR

Give the engineer a brake, he probably knows more about trains than the rest of us.:D

Truck64 likes this.
  20. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I was accused of being an engineer once, then I pointed out that my parents were married.

21. Vice Who Cares, throw it and get a new (OLD) one that works and will last; the engineering part is starting to be fun, In my time in aerospace there were these engineers Design, Liaison, Ground support, Change board, Maintainability, Reliability, Supportability, Publications, Logistics, Produceability, Planning, Tooling, Manufacturing, and Flight, there may be a few more. I've been out of the game 22 years.

22. Anytime anyone asked for my wife's employment we always said domestic engineer

23. Budget36

Budget36

Nice...guy needs a Vise...50 bucks would suit him, or 300+ for Wilton.

I'm assuming by the replies from some, ya'll have a 30K SnapOn box you use to fix your rides?

Surely you can't be fussed up with an inferior tool like a set of Craftsmen.

firstinsteele likes this.
  24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

No, just tired of seeing the shit tools and parts flooding our shores. American tools and appliances may not have been the best available but they were a good value and usually overbuilt to some degree, and not made with recycled beer cans.

Shutter Speed likes this.
  25. rtp

rtp

My nephew told me he was going to school to be an engineer . I asked witch rail road. He has not talked to me since.

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RidgeRunner and Truck64 like this.
  26. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

Truck64 likes this.
  27. 5window

5window

Not this crap again. Overseas can build to any quality you want , you just have to build to a quality point and price it instead of Walmart dictating the price point that must be met while quality suffers. You are placing the blame on the wrong end of the equation.

FWIW, the beer ca is now aluminum, not steel. Coors introduced the aluminum can in 1959, so it is even traditional. Happy 60th birthday to our favorite beverage container. :)

Back when I lived in Iowa, we bought Grain Belt in steel cans from the Skelly out on the Interstate.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I understand that. I didn't claim overseas manufacturers are incompetent or incapable. The fact remains however we are being flooded with shit parts and components.

I also understand beer cans are Aluminum. I didn't expect anyone to take that literally.

5window likes this.
  29. TimCT

TimCT

My suggestion is before buying anything brand new, take a look on your local CL. You might be able to pick up a superior vise for a fraction of the cost of the brand new one.

My uncle gave me my grandfather's Chas Parker vise from the 40s or 50s. It was sitting on the floor of his garage since before I was born. Shot it with some Kroil, greased the swivel and it works like new. The best vise I've ever used.

Is there a vintage vise thread on the Antiquated?

30. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

good part of the chinese wilton for $100 is the lifetime warranty. hf is starting ro do that on their tools also