Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Racing at George Ray's who's interested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Oct 22, 2018.

1. I spoke to a few guys today who may be up for bringing their real deal legit 60s flip top funny cars. I can't reveal the cars yet as we are trying to get things set up for them. These are big name flip tops. We also have some guys who were there in November of 61 on the first day the track opened. We plan on doing something special for them. Stay tuned in.

TFoch, loudbang, Dog_Patch and 2 others like this.
  2. patsurf

patsurf

let em drive one of the floppers!

3. chucky1

chucky1

Be sure to check out my Facebook page, In Memory of George Ray . I have been loading it with pics and vids of George Rays track for the last couple of weeks.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. Great work! That's where I've found most of the pictures that I've posted. Please post your favorite ones here for the HAMB family!

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, chucky1 and loudbang like this.
  5. Attention in the pits!
    Attention in the pits!

As things move forward there is a change to the test and tune start time on Sunday. It's being moved up to 10am on Sunday for a full hour of flag racing only. Starting at 11am the regular tree will be put back into use. Be in the lanes ready to go flag racing. We will be using George's original flags from 61. Chucky will be the flag man running the lanes.
    Pete ores from ores action photography will be on site ready to print photos of the action to take home with you.

More big news. Tyler is renting some lighting equipment to light up the track so we can race later into the evening.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  6. I just gave the approval on the t shirt design. Its spectacular. The image captures what we are trying to do. The shirt will be two sided in 13 colors. The art work was the work of Joel Naprestak. He goes by the race artist on the hamb. Check out his work he is the real deal. I can't show the shirt here. You have to wait until the race.

7. Great! I hope its got this on it somewhere! 48364114_10156888641472154_2135003976276377600_n.jpeg

8. it does. the cat image was on the trunk of georges car.

9. Outstanding!

10. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

save a large shirt for me if I don't get to ya before everyone else does. My ride along guy cant make it, so I asked my Dad and he said he would come with. We have never taken a trip like this together, and to go back in time to a old drag strip, from his time will be well worth it. Still putting truck together, but hope to get it done in time.
    Tony

11. I just got off the phone with Herb Mcandles. Herb was part of the Sox and Martin team and the mopar factory test driver. He grew up in the Memphis area and raced locally. Herb was at George rays on opening day. He raced there many times over the years. Herb has seen it all and has stayed active to this day. He announces the hemi shoot out at indy every year. He is very good on the mic. The plan is to get herb in the tower during the flag racing time trials and describe what it was like on day one and racing the small tracks of the south. With the flag racing going on and herb on the mic it should really send the crowd back to a different time. I can't imagine a better scenario. This is going to be good. Arrive early Sunday because you won't want to miss this part. We are planning on recording herbs and others stories for future generations.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  12. The good news just keeps coming in. The original cat walk rotted away and was removed for safety reasons a few years ago. Tyler has built a new cat walk as close to original as possible. It will include a microphone hanging down from it just like the original had. Tyler wasn't sure if he could complete the cat walk in time but he has been hard at work finishing it up. The unique cat walk that only has 8 feet of clearance under it. It is a big part of the starting line look.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Herb is a heck of a nice guy, and a gracious host. If you get a chance to talk to him, just listen.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  14. Herb has stories. The man is as sharp as they come. His knowledge of all things mopar is incredible. When he wasn't driving the second sox and Martin car he was with engineers testing. He won indy with a pro stock. He also did all the testing with the w-2 program. After the Sox deal he was the direct connection warehouse. I have known herb for 30 plus years. He is a wealth of information. When I have questions on some mopar specific thing that I can't figure out or find info on I call his cell. He may not tell you what you want to hear. What he does tell you is the way it is. I have learned just do it the way he's says. He has never steered me wrong. He spends his days now restoring old virgil exner chryslers for his son. They started a museum for those cars. He also has five of his original race cars. I consider him a dear friend and a irreplaceable resource. Held in the highest regard.

15. George Rays ART-2-COLOR-merged.jpg George Rays ART-2-COLOR-BACKmerged.jpg the cats out of the bag. Here is the t shirt art. The shirts will be printed on good quality material. This is a front and back printed shirt. There are alot of details in it. George always wore blue Jean's and a long sleeve shirt untucked. The untucked shirt covered his gun. See the gun poking out? He usually wore that style hat or a ball cap. We purposely put the tower and cat walk in the background so it looks like George Ray's. The run at own risk was always on the cat walk. The 55 is a local car from the area its pictured on this thread and he will be racing it. The cat image is off George's car. We think it's a winner. They will be sold in the concession stand in limited quantities. If you want one grab it as soon as you arrive.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  16. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Great shirt design! If I wasn’t most of a continent away...... That will be a weekend to remember.

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  17. chucky1

chucky1

Here are some cars that are coming...I found out about these guys this morning. The roadster belongs to Mike Gage Sr. father of Mustang Mike on Memphis Street Outlaws tv show. 34 Chevy belongs to Kevin Wallin and has raced at George Rays since it opened. Only 4 people have driven it since 1961 and I brag when I say I am one of them, lol. The Dixie 55 I have never seen before today.

Attached Files:

18. This just in Joe lunnatti the cam grinder and friends will be in attendance. Joe is from the local area on the other side of the Mississippi. He was a regular at grs during the early days.

19. HellsBells5

HellsBells5

Will shirts be available for those of us that can't attend?

20. chucky1

chucky1

I talked with Tyler Russom, he may have a few leftover, if he does they will be for sale via PayPal after event.

loudbang likes this.
  21. chucky1

chucky1

A couple more that are coming.

Attached Files:

22. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Really looking forward to this.

23. chucky1

chucky1

Only a couple of weeks away.

Attached Files:

24. I just finished new interior sheet metal in a 41 willys. It will be there

25. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The poison Ivey dodge afx has some paint next up is to assemble it and be ready to run at George rays can’t wait

26. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

Holy mother of God! This is the type of track and the type of racing/event that keeps me awake at night. I watch what goes on in the south and midwest with such longing that we could have nostalgia, heads up racing here out west but drag racing here is all about the fuckin' brackets. I just found out about this tonight. I live all the way in Idaho and will probably never be able to afford the drive, but it has now become a tentative goal of mine to run The Shitbox down George Ray's. This kind of racing was the inspiration behind building the car and since western tracks only cater to bracket racers, I built it with the sole intent of regularly street driving and street racing the car. Nobody worth a shit other than our very small group street races anymore though so now I daily drive a 500HP (I know, child's play) tunnel rammed smallblock, 4-speed, spooled, leaf spring-in-the-stock-location '62 Chevy II using only parts and technology available prior to 1976. I live right down the road from my local track but I hate bracket racing and running with a bunch of late model and import crap. It would pack the front wheels and go in the sub 1.60's in the 60' on the old motor and rear on 26x9.5's. I haven't run it on the new motor (probably making 100HP or so over the old junker that never saw a dyno) and rear though but am dying to do so.

Someday this will happen. Someday...

27. Outstanding shirt design! Wow!

28. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Yeah. I've been so busy with shit I haven't even started my car yet. Typical for me. Last minute shit show. Roll the dice!

loudbang likes this.
  29. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

This probably sounds kinda stupid but can we set up a sunshade and a grill in our pit area? We do everywhere else but I’ve never been to George rays. And I understand they have all their own rules!

chryslerfan55, chucky1 and loudbang like this.