Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest What’s wrong with points and other “upgrades”

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I plan on using a CD box to make the points system electronic.. I'm only using the points to trigger the box.. I'm not going back to points only even though I never had any issues with that system either..

I see Summit sells a CD box, I wonder how good they are?

[​IMG]

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I wouldn't trust that thing as far as I could throw it. The design is fine I'm sure but you can bet the components inside are scheisse. Could be wrong but I doubt it.

Truckdoctor Andy and 427 sleeper like this.
  3. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

my .02 cents ...traded out a big cap sm. blk. chev electronic distributor because of firewall clearance issues for a points set up... 3 of the local parts stores didn't carry the points or condenser and would take up to a week to bring in from the warehouse two others had only the "combo kit" that's points and condenser together fine right? wrong the ones I got didn't sit on the plate correctly so I ordered the ones that would take a week then I had to order the points again because I got the combi-kit in the wrong box...the brand? BWD never heard of it (made in mexico) but I've heard of lots of "new" condensers not working and "new" points springs being weak causing bounce ...the craziest thing was the price I was quoted by Lordco (one of our biggest local parts outlets) $35 for points $23. for condenser, $60. for wires...and thats with a 30% discount !!! wow these are parts that (as far as I know) fit every small blk chev made between 1955 and 1975 they were $10. and $6. respectively for decades!...wtf?

4. I actually have a thing for Mallory Unilite distributers. But I also like points. so well??? To me an ignition upgrade has to do with performance so if it will not perform better with an electronic and it already has points it will stay points. I am pretty easy to please actually, as long as it runs and runs well I leave it alone for the most part.

VANDENPLAS and 427 sleeper like this.
  5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

NAPA heavy duty echlin # CS786..........the very best!!!!!!

6. Slopok

Slopok

Borg Warner Division, used to be quality parts.

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I prefer points. The distributor looks better than an electronic.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Mine looks the same. It IS the original, converted to HEI. No problems so far.

Ben

9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"What's wrong with points"

Well with Fords, the fact that as you tighten down the screw to secure the points, the darn things squirm around on you, and change the point gap.

I still do like them though. And my experience is that they last tens of thousands of miles, after which I clean them up with fine emery paper, regap and carry on. This is using thirty plus year old parts, which seem to be better made.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  10. I have been stranded 3 times by electronic ignition modules taking a dump. One was going up hill on a highway bridge and I was having to roll backwards with my flashers on, which do not work when you are braking going backwards.
    I have been stranded 0 times with points and plugs.
    "And thats all I have to say about that"...Forrest Gump

Elcohaulic, Moriarity and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. I've had points break, slip and burn out. I've had broken and worn rubbing blocks. I've also had condensers work loose or go bad. Plus, they're getting harder to find now.

I've had several HEI modules go out and I've had a few in cap coils burn through, overheat, go dead or get weak. I've had MSD boxes die too. I've also had a few external coils quit on me.

I've even seen a few magneto magnets go weak and loose their spark! :eek:

I look at points as the proverbial clock that is always 5 minutes slow... It's never right, but it still works! :rolleyes: However, I'd still rather have electronic ignition, because of a more efficient timing control when they work. When they quit, just throw them away, and put in another one. ;)

12. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Way I look at it is this. If it works, don't touch shit! Besides, I'm sure points, condenser,rotor and cap is cheaper and easier than doing a distributor swap. As long as it's firing good, I'm happy. Besides, if you get one of those fancy units, it's more wiring and now you'll need an ignition module. Just messy in my opinion.

13. That's why I went to a Pertronix distributor... 2 wires, and fixes all the ills of other ignition systems. ;)

Blues4U and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  14. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have an internal coil Vertex mag in my roadster. Only 1 wire. The kill button. There's still points in there.

Montana1 and 427 sleeper like this.
  15. pkhammer

pkhammer

F&J you are my hero.

16. So, did you borrow a computer to write this? :rolleyes::D

17. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There ARE exceptions...

Montana1 likes this.
  18. 170speeddog

170speeddog

Adjusting valves on solid lifter cams, tuning 97s, setting dual points with a feeler gauge was how I grew up . I'm 72 yrs old. STILL DOING IT .

Elcohaulic, Moriarity and 427 sleeper like this.
  19. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too! How many modern day mechanics are there... none! They are referred to as technicians now! Ask these young "technicians" what a timing light is or what a tach and dwell meter is used for. Hell, they probably don't even know what a set of feeler gauges look like!!! Or, is it that I'm just too damn stubborn to adapt?

Moriarity likes this.
  20. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I like adjusting points. I prefer the iron single points distributor over any other for a street only car. I'm looking for a nice iron, single points distributor right now for my 1978 454, it has an HEI.. I use the points to trigger a CD box... I have an old VJ CD box I'm going to try. I hear the MSD boxes are all China now.. The CD box I have now has a switch that takes you back to points only should the box have issues while out on the road..

cd ignition 1.JPG cd ignition 2.JPG

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  21. squirrel

squirrel

That looks like a copy of the Delta box...

Elcohaulic likes this.
  22. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

No you just like points setup, nothing wrong with that. Back in the early 70’s I was running a dual point Accel on my Sbc. ran great,Fast Forward 45 years, I run PerTronix Distributors,no problems with them either. Can’t remember why I switched though. Probably because it was a new technology at the time, I guess. Well.............. I can’t remember sh..t and could run either one. No Rant,run what makes you happy.

firstinsteele and 427 sleeper like this.
  23. speedshifter

speedshifter

I think the old factory HEI is hard to improve upon,() be good idea to relocate the module to a cooler location.The rumor that an HEI doesn't provide good spark above 5000 rpm is just not true. IMCA Bmodified dirt trackers are or were required to use HEI's with stock internals. The racers turned 7000rpm or more & never misfired.. I built a supercharged flathead for Bonneville, modified an HEI to fit. The car ran 152mph in 2007 & maybe still holds the record. The previous engine used a Vertex mag, I had the maybe silly idea that the Vertex used a minuscule amount of of horsepower &the HEI without a charging system used none Point & condenser dist: Carry along a spare cond. If cond fails connect the spare onto either end of small (18gauge?)wire that goes between the coil & dist. Not necessary to remove faulty cond. A cond will work properly on the coil or the dist Greg

24. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I run a MSD capacitor to catch power spikes... My car came with a HEI but I'm going to switch back to points triggering a box, once I make up my mind one which CD box. That Vertex Z6 box is looking better to me every time I see it..