Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest How do you old farts do it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Apr 28, 2019.

1. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

We love doin' it despite the pain.

2. My normal answer would be I have socks older than that but in reality I do have a pair of Army boots older than than and they still fit! :D HRP

3. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Slower and smarter! If I sit down more than 15 minutes I start to freeze up. Gotta keep moving. I'm only twice your age and don't call me an old fart, you young whippersnapper.

4. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's that familiar quote: "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time."
    ;)

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Danny....it's usually not a person's feet that get fat! ;)

6. X-cpe

X-cpe

I've passed a lot of ages I used to think were old. But when I wrote that I would be 74 in a few months on another thread, as I looked at that number written down it made me think maybe, just maybe, I might be approaching old.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and 56don like this.
  7. NOTHING that I had when I was 36 still fits! Even my head is a fathead..

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  8. My favorite uncle (who just passed at 85) always said, "If you want to keep goin', ya gotta keep goin'!"

chryslerfan55, e1956v, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 73, had heart surgery, back surgery and prostate surgery, all within an 8th month period last year and I'm back working at least 6 or 7 hours in my shop each day. You just gotta keep pushing.

Like the Toby Keith song, "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!"

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I work like a bastard when I know the grim reaper is looking over my shoulder and smiling!! :D

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I am probably more active at 58 then I was in High School, as a matter of fact, I know I am. I had an on-site management position for almost 4 years. When I got laid off from it I lost 40 pounds in about 3 months. When I show people pictures of myself then, they don't believe it is me, hilarious.

12. I turned 50 this year but I generally feel better now than I did when I was in my 20’s because of some health issues I had back then.

Keeping the weight off helps a bunch. I don’t enjoy the food enough to give every other area of life over to it.

Having your faith straightened out and trying to keep your life cleaned up makes the biggest difference.

13. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I just turned 75. My biggest handicaps are not doing much during the late fall and winter months and then getting back in shape. And, remembering what I walked over to the tool box to get. I am grateful I can still put in hours climbing under and over my car projects.

14. Unfortunately had a few pals my age who have already departed. I've had a couple of close shaves, but I'm still here.
    I want stuff done, and no-one else will do it for me, so I gotta keep wrenching and making an arse of myself for as many years I can. If it hurts, take them pills, have a rest or a beer. Besides, I enjoy doing it, which makes it a hell of a lot easier.

15. leon bee

leon bee

I'm getting pretty old. Couple years ago I was doing a lot of ceramic tile for people, kitchens, baths, floors, etc. One day I says, man, this is killing me! I just gotta quit doing this shit. A few hours later I'm out at my shop where I'm building a motorcycle, I'm like a workaholic when I get there. Just happened to realize I had been crawling around on my knees on the cold concrete floor. For several hours.

chryslerfan55, badgascoupe and Deuces like this.
  16. I have pretty good health insurance. I had my doc refer me to a hand therapist. It didn't give me more hand strength but she taught me how to find better strategies for using the larger muscle groups to accomplish some tasks. We do what we must, right?

Deuces likes this.
  17. I am 66. I still act like I am 14. Sometimes I ache. To think young is to stay young.

Deuces likes this.
  18. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Shit guys at 60 I get in my hot rod piss my neighbors off and I feel 18 again so after that go to the shop and get after it where I can do the same thing the next day damn its fun !!!

19. spanners

spanners

Maybe it's a case of as you get older, you are better at appearing as though nothing is a problem to do. Then when they leave, you start hurting all over. They go away and think "gee, that old coot has got some stamina".

20. How do we do it? It's a secret, we'll tell you when your 70.:D

raven, 427 sleeper, 31Dodger and 2 others like this.
  21. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Wuz... slang for has-been. :D .
    Worth avoiding.
    Marcus...

Deuces and Flathead Dave like this.
  22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm 59 years old and would not do half the shit I do if I did not have a lift in my shop.

chryslerfan55, dan31 and Deuces like this.
  23. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I look at my shadow and think..."Damn I look good".

I also stay away from mirrors.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 72 and the control for my winch for my trailer came Friday and goes on the winch tomorrow. I picked up a 4500 lb winch at an auction last week that the contoller didn't work on and after checking it out bought the controller. If it isn't strong enough I'l get a bigger one. I bought the trailer a month ago when a guy advertised it a bit too cheap and 2-1/2 hours after he posted the add I was towing it home.
    I'm not anywhere near as strong as I was 19 years ago when I was working on a dairy farm and getting more exercise than I ever did in my life outside of basic training.
    I'd agree, work smarter, not harder.
    I'd say one thing that us old farts learned and often the hard way is wear good quality foot gear to save your feet and knees. I missed doing a shit load of stuff last year because my heel hurt most of the time and my knees hurt. Wore a good pair of real walking shoes today and walked all over the three acres the car show was on and feel pretty good.

25. prpmmp

prpmmp

Pain don't hurt! Its just telling you that your still alive!! At 65 its screaming at me!! Pete

26. topher5150

topher5150

I think some of you guys hit the nail on the head, not enough tools to do the work for me, and not enough patience.

27. Toby Keith wrote a song based on Clint Eastwood’s remarks

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  28. Folks born after 1980 are your millennials,
    They have completely different ideas. See they turned 21 (adults) around the year 2000. Now that they are nearing 40 you’ll see more wonderment from them.

Ask some old folks this question,,,
    Did you get old because you quit doing it or did you quit doing it because you got old?

chryslerfan55, Deuces and trollst like this.
  29. chopped

chopped

I'm 73 and beat to crap, takes longer and I do less at one time, but it gets done. One advantage is I have lots of time.

Deuces likes this.
  30. Every time that one of my contemporaries passes away (and there seems to be more and more lately) it's a reminder to get off the sofa and do something physical, even if it's just to walk into the kitchen to get a sandwich. That didn't exactly sound right.o_O