Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Just Another 5-Window Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, Jul 13, 2015.

1. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

That is looking great! Drive the wheels off it. I hope I get to see it at Lake George.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. Thanks for the response!

loudbang likes this.
  3. The coupe looks great Tom! Congratulations on the completion of a huge project! I would say now drive the wheels off of it, but for you that goes without saying. Looking forward to checking it out at the Jalopyrama.

4. Jalopyrama was a complete success for all- torrential rainstorms be plagued Friday, setup day, and although the day of the show was sunny, we did have some stiff winds. Finally got my front wheel situation straightened out for the show and the car looked great.....
    38C327E4-7849-4226-B3B8-2CDC4EDAA4F5.jpeg
    3E9B2B3A-20FF-4680-B18D-F227FB4D06B2.jpeg
    ... thanks to d-Russ. I had a family member pass away unexpectedly and had no way of getting it up there. I asked Druss since I heard he was riding up shotgun. He cleaned my car up great once out of Friday’s rain - thank you, Dave. Phartnan also helped me out quite a bit and I am very grateful to him as well - thanks Pete !

The new show place was really pretty nice - bigger than the armory but smaller than Westminster, it was in a great location with plenty of spectator traffic. The size was ice rink size with plenty of space for some vendors, memorabilia sales, panel jam, and such. What was also a treat that Rodders Journal had a vendors booth at the show and had a good crowd around the whole day.

All in all, a win-win for all!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  5. koolbeans

koolbeans

Damn nice!!!!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary, loudbang and TomT like this.
  6. Good seeing you there Tom, car looks awesome!!

loudbang, TomT and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. .....Had the pleasure of chatting with Tom, but somehow missed you, Jason. Hope you had a safe trip home and a good time at the show.......Don.

8. Sat morning was a challenge. The 12 year old Optima battery in the roadster finally gave up the ghost. My son and I ended up swapping the battery out with the one in my 51 Chevy. Which required some wiring changes. By the time we were done we didnt get on the road till 10:30 am, we didnt get to the show till almost 2pm! Dam DC traffic!

9. Tom, great seeing you and that beautiful Deuce at the show!! Thanks for the comments about the show. While it was smaller than the Ag Center, I thot it came together well. Thanks, too, for your dedication in getting the coupe there at a very difficult time for you and your family. Thanks goes out to DRuss and Phartman, also, for their willingness to step up and make it happen for the benefit of all concerned.

10. Happy to help Tom! Like I said, you don't need to ask me twice to drive that sweet deuce 5W!

Malcolm, Bowtie Coupe, brEad and 3 others like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I powered threw this whole thread in two days and finally I can say “whoa! Love it!”

Very cool build man.

As you figured out you can’t actually post a video using The HAMB for a host even though it looks like you can.

I was curious what your front brake set up is. You said f-100 but then made modifications to the washer and the grease shields.

Are you using later guys on the older backing plates and that’s why you needed some modifications?

Thanks and again congrats!

12. Thanks a lot, Tim - it’s been a journey, that’s for sure and your compliments mean a lot to me. Thank you.....

The front brakes are ‘53 F-100 but modified to be self adjusting and, redrilled to be 4.5 bolt pattern to fit the mid-30s Plymouth artillery wheels. So far, they are working out pretty good.

DRuss got me straight on using YouTube for the videos- live and learn!

Thanks again and hopefully we’ll see you down the road ....

lothiandon1940 and D-Russ like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Is the self adjusting hardware ford stuff? I’ve got a similar set up sitting in pieces on my bench

14. Yes and it’s actually from a newer F-100 front brake hardware .....

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ok we are on the same page ;) never saw any mention of the modifications is why I was curious

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  16. Btw - checked my gas mileage today - 20mpg + mostly in 5th gear. Better than I thought and not too shabby!

17. God I miss my Model A coupe, selling it is the STUPIDEST thing I ever did! RIP. CARS Custom.jpg

Stogy, Jet96, don colaps and 5 others like this.
  18. the flatlander

the flatlander

Hey guys, it’s just a friggin 5 w ! ....right Tom ? CU @ Deuce Run

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. srv1957

srv1957

Any update on Eric Williams with Hot Rod Leather? I've left messages but no answer.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Sadly Eric passed away and I do not know of anyone who has stepped up to the plate to do what he did so nicely ......

loudbang likes this.
  21. Like many other builds there are always updates and fixes to do. I had F-100 brakes on the front and although the car stopped ok, I had to really stand on the pedal. I have always liked D-Russ’s, my fellow HEAPS member, db set up on his Vickie - nice and neat, clean, and done well and in a traditional style.

As luck would have it, about a year or so ago I found a set of backing plates all ready modified for the cast db brakes and had a nice cover skirt on it as well. I unfortunately have no pictures of them as I first got them. I bought a db kit from Speedway and put things aside until I had an opportunity to install them.

About 5-6 months ago I started hearing something clucking around after I shifted. It happened once in awhile but eventually happening all the time and as aI was sitting a a stop light. It shifted fine but it definitely needed some attention. A good friend of mine has a home shop with a scissor lift that was going to be free. So I made arrangements to bring the car over and since it was there, do the db conversion, and check everything out underneath since it was up in the air. My buddy did the work as I have been busy with others things (sone good sone bad - you know how it goes). I was also not really up to pulling the trans from underneath while on my back.

Once there we tackled the db conversion first - I all ready had a proportioning valve installed and a db/drum brake mc so that was all set. I painted the backing plates flat black and once everything was in place and set up, painted the calipers ….
    F1D87CAE-5D53-4BA6-83CE-320FCD09E3AA.jpeg
    C8E05FBF-8506-4909-8CD0-C5A3BDC85E0A.jpeg
    I do like the nice clean look and looking forward to a softer pedal and better braking. As far as underneath, one rear seal leak and a small fuel line leak by the filter out back. Not too shabby after about 25k miles ….. more pics will follow on this but the clutch bearing issue is a whole ‘mother story …..

22. As for the transmission clutch noise, I thought I had designed the car to drop the tranny from underneath. I can pull just the tranny but there was just no way to pull it with the bellhousing - there is just not enough swing room. So, the motor and trans had to come out as a unit ….
    E01854D3-E6DE-4276-A2D4-DCD0934127BB.jpeg
    With the engine out an inspection of t-out bearing showed that it was still tac welded to the carrier housing but both the bearing and housing did not return home - the spring was still there but would not retract things back “home” completely. So the bearing was still touching the fingers of the pressure plate after shifting. The bearing did not like that very much and showed it. I’m glad we are replacing it now before any further damage could have be done.

The search for a heavier/better t-out bearing began. There are Ford Racing units are nice and heavy but the inner diameter is too large. There is literally nothing out there for Chevy and what is out there looks and feels like it’s all ready a used unit. My last hope at the moment is the Timken unit we’re getting tomorrow. We shall see ….

Will keep you posted and I will try and get more pics as well …..

23. lothiandon1940 and TomT like this.
  24. Thanks Seadog - I will call them tomorrow ….

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. deuceguy

deuceguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful 5W. Everything about that is spot on.

Grandadeo and TomT like this.
  26. Thank you!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. Some updates - struck out with MDL and a couple other places. Seems they had Chevy t-out bearings were made at one time but when things were farmed out “off shore” only one grade was made. So, the result is that we are using the timken bearing - we’ll see how that turns out.

In the db kit from Speedway the brake lines were pretty long. We looked and looked for shorter versions of the same but to no avail. I knew they were out there as I had used them on my old 40 coupe when I install db’s on it - I just could not remember the make and model. I went through some old paperwork on my old 40 build and although I found nothing concrete it jogged my memory as to lines I used - 1970-72 Monte Carlo. They are about 3” shorter and have a banjo end. Getting a set in and we will check out how they pair up. I do remember that on my coupe I bought just the bracket kit and sourced everything locally - CE? Honest Charley? Who knows …..

The car is coming back together ….
    98D593A5-3E1D-4E63-B52E-106C26A8EFA0.jpeg
    My good friend doing the work is Koppy here on the HAMB. Does just about everything and is just an all around great guy and an even better friend.

28. A good friend would pick all those bugs out of the radiator while it's apart. Ha Ha!:)

lothiandon1940 and seadog like this.
  29. Hey - that’s patina! Lol!

30. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I think Summit may have some universal brake hose assemblies of various lengths and ends.