Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects brake line questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Apr 28, 2019.

1. howdy.
    working on my COE brakes,(god forbid!!some guys say to leave it alone and take it to a pro!!)
    the main line coming from the master cylinder has a crack.
    I need to replace it.

I took them off and started looking online for replacements..
    lots of options but not a solid answer for this type of truck.

My next option was to drive to an autozone or O'Reillys, seeing how the later were this last Viva Las Vegas rockabilly weekend big sponsors,well I thought they were going back to stocking model a parts for their friendly local hotrodder(not me, I'm just a poser),or at least more than 20 brake lines hanging from their wall.
    I took a chance with the pimpled face,civic driving,mouth breading"oh-yeah this is a part time because im going to Wyno_Tech" parts,hmmm man,and failed miserably.
    I did see that Oreleys has a very extensive selection of hawaiian shirts and orcabetty apparel(obviously a joke,you had to be at the 2019 VLV show)

Autozone has maybe 19 brake lines in stock but nothing that I need.
    So they send me down the road to Oreileys because "they have a bigger selection of lines".
    Well Oreileys only had about 20 assortment of brake lines.
    That leaves me with one more option to try tomorrow.

But,

Napa wont let you behind the counter so they have to look on the computer to see if they have it in stock.
    they can just lie to you that they dont have it and if you ask them to go look for it,they'll go back there,hide from the shift manager,send a dick picture to that overweight slut on tinder or have a smoke break.
    Fuck that greasy asshole waiting like a dumbshit looking at the skull stickers while the parts guy "looks for his brake line"in the back.

This brings me to the conclusion that parts store suck,unless you are after a 2016 Toyota Camry Buttfussion plug or some sweet "country girls drive bad ass trucks'' stickers .

It doesn't stop there,what are we going to do when the 80 year old at the specialty hose store bites the dust?
    He already feels like baby jesus himself lowered him so softly from heaven,on a cloud,gently set him in the back of the hardware store at the hose section to answer and solve all of your hose and pipe questions and concerns.
    He also feels he has the right to give you his unsolicited advice and a long history lesson on how brake flares came to be.

"Thanks for the extensive lesson on the double flaring, mr Victor but I am in a hurry,will there be a fucking test at the end of this class?
    I just wanted to know if you had this fitting,"yes or no"would be a perfectly acceptable answer.
    Oh,it is now official,you have wasted most of my dammed day,its lunch time already,damn!"

Instead you respectfully listen to his advice and buy his 3/8" hard line,tell him that you will bend and cut it to the size and shape you need it,then you will bring it back to him so he can cut the double flare and use his "special machine'' that flares that line to accept a 3/8'' fuel hose,otherwise the hose will slip off,start a fire,fill your cab with smoke which in turn,will make you swerve into that school full of kids and nuns.
    Remember he told you it will not work without the "special" flare for fuel hose.He gave you a 20 minute lesson on it.

When you take it back,he cuts the double flare that came from the factory,he inspects your bends for like fucking 20 minutes,making sounds and growls of disapproval.
    Finally he goes back and does his thing for like 10 minutes and brings your line with the same freaking double flare the line came with(your line is now like an inch shorter but it doesnt matter because you already took it into consideration)
    On top of that he charges you 5 dollars for adding that double flare that the line already had,gave you another lesson on rubber lines and a chemical composition.

i think we can agree that ill have better luck ordering online,less time wasting, and cheaper.
    So my question is:
    How do you properly search for brake line that is 3/16" ID with a 9 1/16 fitting inverted flare.
    also 1/4" ID with a 9 1/16 fitting inverted flare.
    is there a secret code when searching this stuff up?
    I.E: 1/4"x 9/16"x 40" long???

Am I better using adapters?
    Am I better piecing 2 brake lines with parts from 3 stores?
    Am I better buying a good quality flaring tool so I can make my own lines to avoid running to these types of situations?

how much does cost to invest into a hydraulic hose shop?
    im seriously thinking into investing my time into learning (professionally)stuff that we need dealing with old cars,i.e: carbs,auto electric and hose/brake line stuff, all the knowledgeable guys are getting older or most shops suck.
    end of rant.

2. They make that fitting everyday

3. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

If you want to use pre flared lines, buy a line the diameter and length you need. Then call inline tube and tell them what size adapters you need. For instance 3/16 line with 3/8 flare fitting nuts. Then get adapters from 3/8 flare to 9/16 flare. Its really not that difficult.

loudbang likes this.
  4. DocJohn

DocJohn

As a general rule, buy good quality tools and make your own. It saves time in the end as you don't have to engage with idiot sales people or fix the poor workmanship of aftermarket parts...

5. I'm sure they do.
    I need to know how to type in the search box so i can order it..
    I guess i got upset of stores not having it in stock so i didnt google that deep.
    Not difficult if you know about inline tube..
    Thanks for the new favorite site.

Should have invested in good brake tools long time ago.
    Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  6. You are the man 31vicky

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  7. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

It can be frustrating. I just finished brake line plumbing on my 31. 4 trips to napa, eurozone, and a phone call order to inline and a 2 day job was finished in 2 weeks. That was using a good flare kit, cutter and a swedgelock brand bender.

loudbang likes this.
  8. It might be nice to have your own flaring tool but if it is for a one time use you should go to a good brake shop. Be sure to watch and see that they know what they are doing.

A good question is why did the line crack and will there be more problems in the future. Did someone use the wrong type of line?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3/16" and 1/4" brake line has a "standard" tube nut size.

Anything that is not that is called an oversize tube nut. No adapters required. Just slip on the correct nut, and flare.

The cone for the flare is the same, regardless of the line size, so you can put on whatever line size you need.

Here is a good sampling of oversize tube nuts: https://catalog.fmsiinc.com/viewitems/tube-nuts/oversize-steel-tube-nuts

I used a KD tools double flare tool for about 20-years, before moving up to my Mastercool hydraulic unit. Those are cheap, and easy to use, so long as you remember to put the nut on, first!

VANDENPLAS, X-cpe and egads like this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, and yes, those colors that you see on those example nuts are a standard, so you can easily spot them, even if the counter jockey can't.

11. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

That was one of the best rants I have ever read. BTW, I follow your COE build. I like trucks.
    Pat

RMR&C, loudbang and 56don like this.
  12. If you want to do it without needing to do your own flair,
    4C559E2D-3AE9-4A23-8E93-F60F87CD9138.png

13. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

You should be able to buy a coil of bulk tubing and make continuous longer runs like from the engine bay to the rear end.. Less flares and fittings to leak from.. I picked up some at Pep Boys a couple years back when I was doing the brake and fuel lines on my Nova..

Also, there a place in Ontario, Ca. that specializes in hydraulic lines and fittings.

http://gandjaircraft.net/

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Buy a flaring tool, hoard all of the old tube nuts you come across, brake, fuel, and transmission lines. You will not be sorry.

loudbang, AldeanFan and gimpyshotrods like this.
  15. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I understand your frustration.

I bought a good flaring tool and 100” of line.
    I keep a mason jar of fittings for each size line I use.
    When i buy fittings I buy twice what I think I need and a bunch of extras to put in the jar. Now most of the time I have what I need ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  16. I really hate to waste time going around, that's why I try to research on the hamb before i go out and buy something.
    Thanks

Somewhere around the garage,i ha
    have a cheap flaring tool, I've done flarings before that worked with zero leaks and they laste for years,the only problem is that i took 4 or 5 tries.
    I do have 5 more projects so a good flaring tool looks like a good investesment.
    For right now i just need those two lines to complete the brake job.
    The line failed at a bend that i did by hand.

QUOTE="gimpyshotrods, post: 13057545, member: 82854"]3/16" and 1/4" brake line has a "standard" tube nut size.

Anything that is not that is called an oversize tube nut. No adapters required. Just slip on the correct nut, and flare.

The cone for the flare is the same, regardless of the line size, so you can put on whatever line size you need.

Here is a good sampling of oversize tube nuts: https://catalog.fmsiinc.com/viewitems/tube-nuts/oversize-steel-tube-nuts

I used a KD tools double flare tool for about 20-years, before moving up to my Mastercool hydraulic unit. Those are cheap, and easy to use, so long as you remember to put the nut on, first![/QUOTE]

Wow some great information.
    Do you have a list of tube sizes with their standard nut size?
    That way i can easily spot the oversized nut that dont belong?
    Thanks
    Hi Pat.
    Im glad you liked both.

I need to find out exactly what nut i have on both ends..
    To me,it seems like all 4 nuts are 9 1/6 but doing more research,one is supposed to be a 1/2" 24..
    So i can get correct adapters.
    Thanks

Great information..
    I saw the 25' coils with a handful of fittings for like 20$ on amazon..
    Thanks

This seems like a good option for the future,same with electrical parts..
    So many tools so little time.

Yes,save time and frustration that way.

17. working part time at an O'Reilly Auto parts store for 10 years i have grown to absolutely hate dealing with brake lines. it's not because i don't understand them .... trust me when i say i very much do....but because most of the DIYer's make it 10 times more difficult than it needs to be with their total lack of basic understanding and their unwillingness to educate themselves on what they need before coming to the store.i actually enjoy doing brake lines for myself and find it relaxing because i know what i'm doing

hiding in the back pretending not to find the brake line parts....yes, that is me, except no sending dirty pictures and i quit smoking. my sanity is worth more than the $11 an hour they pay me

many years ago when i used to deal with a Napa store i kinda whined to the owner of their lack of brake fittings. he reached under the counter and handed me a Weatherhead catalog (Napa is Weatherhead and not Edelmann) and said for me to look up what i need myself and let them know. i still have that catalog,along with an Edelmann catalog. do yourself a favor and get an Edelmann catalog and look up what you need

18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

https://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Pro...14/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795262896051&psc=1

Best flaring tool ever. Can also get it for 37* and 45*, does bubbles and doubles. One of the best tolls I ever bought. When you need it, it always performs.
    SPark

19. I actually took the lines with me,the older guy walked with me behind the counter and we didnt find what i needed.
    Same thing at O'Really, they had 1 line and 1 adapter.
    Guy said to comeback tomorrow and a very knoleadgable lady would find them for me.
    100% percent sure.

I didnt say the guys at oreally or autozone wont let me back there..
    The ones at napa wont.
    Thanks..
    Im going to try again right now..
    After some lunch and a nap...with cool head.

20. AGS is the supplier for most brake lines.
    The 10 pack bag is THE most economical way to get fittings. Any fitting is available in the bag.
    You should see the part numbers for the 3/16 lines 3/8-24 1/2-20 and 9/16-18.
    0391998E-7074-4C09-927F-FA5A021895AB.jpeg

For a flare tool,,,
    I’ve used the Eastwood and it’s a nice tool.
    I own the master cool (does everything) tool and it does do everything. But for my everyday flare work I’ve got an empire tool that was my dads before mine. It’s works everywhere on everything. I’d say my success rate with that simple tool is 98%.
    The mastercool is a pain in the ass to use. It works well, makes all kinds of weird shit most Hamb friendly stuff will not need. Forget about taking it under a car. On a big line that’s awkward you’ll need a vice to hold the tool, a few stands to hold the line, keen eye sight and good lights, and 3 hands to use the tool. In contrast, the empire tool can be fit in the smallest places and I can flare a line blindfolded hanging upside down. But if you need to make an o ring flange, a gm quick connect fuel line or them damn goofy transmission quick connect things (I call them HAhAurfuckedcomingapart fittings) then the mastercool unit is what you need.

The Eastwood tool is a bit nicer but you absolutely need a vice to make a line. The empire tool makes a line flare with nothing but itself. It’s truly more versatile than anything. The secret is you’re going to need a good tool that costs near $100.00. The $8,10,15,25 budget kits are not going to make you happy. Most of them are for soft copper hvac work.

In nice climates, most Mechanicic type guys do not make lines often unless they are builders. In winter and salt areas needing to making lines is about as common as breathing. Well at least as common as any other bodily function.

loudbang likes this.
  21. fordflambe

fordflambe

You should have a couple of "Brake Masters" shops near by. Take your parts to them and see if they can help.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For brake lines, standard nuts:

3/16" line, 3/8'-24 nut.
    1/4" line, 7/16"-24 nut.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When did strait supplying brake lines for specific cars? Why was I not informed?
    Doesn't everyone know that all brake lines come straight? That's what knees are for....bending brake lines....:rolleyes:

24. Thanks i ended up buying 3 individual fittings like these.
    2 from autozone and 1 from oreillys.
    I needed 2@3/8 to 1/2"
    And 1@ 7 1/16 to 9 1/16..
    Bought 40" pre flared lined of each and no more leaks.
    Thanks..

I got it handled but good idea to watch a pro do it.
    Thank you.

U telling me i didnt need to buy a ridgit tubing bender?[/QUOTE]

25. Let me add that when I went looking for these lines,I had a very negative attitude towards the coming autopart related adventure.
    I was not dissapointed.
    The older gent was busy,he looked thru his stash real quick I didn't want to waste time so I told him not to worry about it.
    the fittings were on the top as where he had to get on the ladder.
    I thanked him and got out in a hurry to the next store.
    same story.
    after posting this thread I did more research,ate some lunch,took a nap.
    i read some more of the posts then decided to give it another try.
    I went to the garage then checked the sizes i needed,with the same lines by crosschecking them to the holes.

I went to the same stores,new shift,store empty all to my self.
    I explained I was there earlier and we really didnt look for the stuff I needed.
    the older guy sent me with the new kid and I followed him to the back.
    this time HE let me look through the stash,I found a 1/4" line with 2 @7/16" 40" long.
    I didnt know it was 7/16" at the time,I started by trying female fittings til one fit.
    a 7/16 female fit,now i needed a 9/16 male to the MC like the ones 31Vicky posted.
    he finally found one after 5 mins of going through all 1 by 1.
    the side to the proportioning valve is 7/16" so that was fine.
    New kid was on the ladder because they dont let customers go up on it,like a dumass DYIer like me would fall right on my ass.

while I was on a roll I grabbed a 3/16" line but they didnt have a 40" like I needed,so a 51" had to make do, now I had to find the fittings.
    we had to go through most of them to find that i needed a 3/8" female to 1/2 male.
    He found one I needed 2.

i paid the guy 24$..not bad for 90" of line and some fittings.

I went to Oreillys to find the other fittings and maybe a 40" long 3/16" line.
    found both,except the fitting was not brass.
    screw it.

returned the 51" line to autozone.

No more leaks,learned a lot from this thread and I accept I was not ready when I went to the store the first time nor did I do my research.

all was good till my GF helped me bleed the brakes,,,nothing coming out of the rear,the front were ok but the rear line from the proportioning valve was dry as a bone.
    so now onto buy a new proportioning valve.
    Oh the adventures of working on a 40+ year trucks.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  26. I always wait for sale or some discount (online or parts stores) and buy in bulk (4 or more depending on price) and have my own small parts store at home. I have Costco food jars full of brass stuff (the large peanut butter jars work good :)). I tend to work at night when everyone is closed AND my great local mom and pop parts place finally shut it's doors.......f'in sucks. I have one left a few cities over, but they close at 5....when I get home.

27. Does that valve look like similar this?
    067C7025-21BD-4AB4-94DD-F849A7FAB0FA.jpeg

28. Yes.
    How ever im a dumb shit.
    I forgot to add fluid to the rear part of the dual master cyl...thats why it was dry.
    I had the gf pump the brakes til i got fluid at the rear then i quit for the day..
    Pass side rear line is blocked so gonna take care of that after work.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  29. Terrible80

Terrible80