Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest How do you old farts do it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Apr 28, 2019.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I spent almost the whole day yesterday driving and dragging a car on to a trailer with only the front axle and today I'm beat. Then there's the guy I bought the car from, in his mid 80s doubled over with arthritis and he's got more project cars going then cars I've ever owned. If I'm gonna keep working on this car I need to get back in shape.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, BigO, Dino 64 and 4 others like this.
  2. indyjps

indyjps

Im 43 and now to understand why the old guys Ive worked with in the past have a bunch of great equipment and tools. Work smarter not harder, buy a bunch of shit that lifts and pulls things for you

patmanta, Oilguy, SOHC427 and 18 others like this.
  3. You are a wuz.......

Deucecoupe, junkjunky, BigO and 15 others like this.
  4. You're only 36 and you're complaining already?! :D

While listening to a guy playing a guitar and singing endless songs, I asked him how he remembered all the words.

His reply was, "It's in my heart." I will pass the same answer on to you. ;)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    chryslerfan55, BigO, kbgreen and 5 others like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

when I turn 70, I'm gonna put an electric winch on my trailer....but until then, I just keep busy, to stay in shape.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

X2 Yes you’re a wuss :D

7. Now you know why all us "old farts" wear those "old guys rule" t-shirts and hats . It's because we do!

8. Wuzz - A person regarded as weak, ineffectual, or overly fearful, Perhaps blend of wimp and pussy, or short for pussy-wussy, reduplication of pussy.

Or a Wuzz'y. :D

Us ol farts get aches & pains like you but we do pace ourselves. HRP

9. Well I'm an old fart (70) and I can do pretty much the same things that I did when I was 30! Of course it takes me longer because I need to rest more often and I can only do it once...

10. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I tell my grand kids: "Old fart - Truth in advertising"

chryslerfan55 and BigO like this.
  11. Hell I hurt all over more than anywhere else, but you keep going or you will stiffen up. And not in the place where you want to stiffen up!:(

12. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I am 83 and have 3 street rods,but i am trying to sell at least 2 of them. Trimming the herd down. Don

AHotRod, deadbeat, funk 49 and 3 others like this.
  13. AND... No. I ain't gonna go there. The flames are high enough.

BigO and Deuces like this.
  14. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

See what happens when you get old, i just told i was 83 when i an realy 84 Don

BigO, deadbeat, dan31 and 4 others like this.
  15. Squirrel at 70 you are still under warranty. I'll be 80 in July

BigO, deadbeat, 427 sleeper and 2 others like this.
  16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You either work and do it, or you give up and lay on the couch and become an even bigger wuss! Your choice...how bad do you want it?

17. Im 34 and somewhat good shape .
    And I think about the older guys too.
    How can they ge in thight spots,roll around under a car,lift a heavy assed jack etc..
    I wana become that old fart

18. If I get to feeling a little tough, I get off the computer and go get the grease gun and crawl around under the hot rod or bus. There's always something that needs fixing.

It ain't long and my back starts cracking and I feel much better. :D

chryslerfan55, Mahty, BigO and 3 others like this.
  19. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm 66 but actually think of myself as being much younger. My reflection in the mirror unfortunately reminds me I'm not. I think it helps if you don't think about age and just keep going.....business as usual. Like someone once told me, "Once you're old, you're old".

Lynn

20. I used to buy sand blasting sand from this old fart in his 70s. At the time I was in my 50s. He would sling 80 pound bags of blasting sand around like it was a burrito. I was thinking as I was watching him load my truck by himself......" damn, I wouldn't want that dude mad at me!"

21. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Sturdy pre-war construction. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Atwater Mike, BigO, dan31 and 7 others like this.
  22. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I’m 60 and have been told to quit doing the heavy stuff. Still do it because I love it.
    Whatever needs doing gets done.

23. In an interview with Clint Eastwood (in his 80s) he was asked how he does it
    "I don't let the old man in"

24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At 76 not as agile or fast as I once was but still able to build cars--keeps me sane and out of mischief. Just finished up a project-fifteen 10 hr days to meet timeline- now hunting for another.

25. Sometimes it just hurts. The alternative is Dead.

26. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

I'm 80..I just figure out how to get the strength other than by brute force like I used to do.
    Phil

chryslerfan55, BigO, dan31 and 4 others like this.
  27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Exactly, and hurting is better than the alternative!

chryslerfan55, BigO, deucemac and 2 others like this.
  28. GTS225

GTS225

Well, two things to say here. One is a line from a song; "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was."
    The other, I have no idea who the author is, but I use it quite a bit.; "Daddy always said that if you're gonna be dumb, boy, you gotta be tough, and I'm one tough S.O.B."

Roger

Dino 64 likes this.
  30. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I didn't realize growing old happened this fast. I am 72 still manage to slide in and out under the car despite a broken neck and heart attack. I'm one of the lucky ones .I can still go down to the garage and ruin something..