Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    loudbang and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Nothing to add other than doing a search for staggered pattern valve covers will turn up more than “offset”

loudbang, RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Anything cast aluminum will seal better with good gaskets instead of stamped steel covers, in my experience.

pitman, brad2v, jimgoetz and 3 others like this.
  4. Take a little dish soap and warm water in a bucket, crumble up some aluminum foil dip it in the bucket and lightly scrub the covers with the foil. Lightly, not like sandpaper. Then lets see a picture of them. Might be a little surprised at how they look. Should clean up but not like new. Even if you do decide to go with the finned aluminum covers these should make a great wall hanger and memento to hang on to.

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Tim, RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wasn't there...as I said in 63 to 65 were the others available as in choice...I understand the Chevy/Ford Rivalry as well. We put all kinds of Jalopy swaps but if there is a choice of having mixed names on say a Ford in this instance one might want to limit the Bowties...and if you had choice back then it was in fact That a choice not about making a Street Rod.

I have very little brand distinction on the engine and I prefer it that way other than the Holley Ford Script Carbs and Edelbrock X1 Manifold...now if I had to make a second choice of Valve cover I would go Edelbrock not Corvette and I don't believe that pokes the Hotrod into Street Rod.

Again its his call and I will respectfully say I do not believe the my Sport Coupe is even close to the definition of Street Rod nor do I subscribe to that type of vehicle. If those Finned Aluminum Cal Custom, Edlebrock or Offenhauser covers were available 60 to 65 there is nothing Street Rod to speak of. I will add Weiand to the mix as well...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cal-custom-valve-covers.112933/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/edelbrock-finned-valve-covers.290856/

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  7. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Yep-got a lot more hits with ‘staggered’. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jimgoetz, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have some choices to make Riff...as for finned Aluminum Valve Covers there were many Brands including Corvette (GM) which are if made in the 60 to 65 period and were used to jazz up the engine bay many times paired up with a polished Aluminum Manifold and other shiny bits. These all run in repop around $275 to say $400 so if you could find an original vintage pair in good condition as in no cracks or broken fins and preferably shiny that would be a bonus to new but original can be just as much or more than repop. The other thing is they can be polished up if there was a pair that the luster had faded and the price was right.

Staying period is the key...at a minimum...good luck in your search.

9. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Any progress on the chassis

RiffRaffRoadster and loudbang like this.
  10. valve covers are one of the easiest things to change later......

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing about the originals shown is they are mighty clean inside so oily is better than rusty and sludgy.

TB your right that's a Job even Stogy isn't afraid to tackle...:D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  12. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Side project #74 - stripping paint off the grill insert. Man that aircraft paint stripper is some nasty stuff...

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. First, great story, and welcome to the HAMB. I have been lurking since you started and you have made all the right choices of late. Don't forget the "rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat" part on the grill! A little dilute vinegar soak wouldn't hurt anything if you still have the option.
    Carry on!

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...That looks pretty awesome Riff...Yeah that stripper if its what I'm thinking a drop on your skin burns and turns the skin white real fast...Gloves, Gloves, Gloves...Double Gloves...

X-cpe, brad2v, jimgoetz and 2 others like this.
  15. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

04E97327-A2B7-4630-A377-6688189BB7A5.jpeg 625E00D6-F74D-48EF-B4C8-1815F3671960.jpeg Side project #75- restore original air cleaner cover...
    Aluminum foil and Diet Coke baby

catdad49, dan31, 35cab and 15 others like this.
  16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

17. brad2v

brad2v

Wow, that came out very well

loudbang, RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  18. X-cpe

X-cpe

Years ago I had a student with 'special talents' who managed to get stripper inside gloves that went almost to his elbows.

19. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Terry - getting close. We’re waiting for a rear ladder bar suspension kit we ordered from Speedway to finish the chassis. The original rear suspension just had too many issues between the radius arm angles and springs we decided to go with new but period correct ladder bars. We kept the front suspension original, just cleaned it up. Will had to cut the ends off the front split wishbones and welded on some new threaded ends. We kept the odd welded spring perches to retain the character of the original car. The chassis has been primed and almost ready for paint. I also decided (after a lot of consideration) to go with disk brakes in front but keep the rear drums. Here are some photos-more to come. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    pitman, catdad49, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  20. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

That’s funny, but not funny! I had a tiny bit go through my glove on the back of my hand and i could feel the burn instantly. Nasty.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  21. Will the tires still sit right under the front fenders with the additional width added by that disc brake kit?

RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  22. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Good question. We’ll find out pretty soon.

23. Riff, any updates? How is the chassis coming along?

Phil

RiffRaffRoadster, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Hi Phil,

Kind of a slowdown, waiting on parts. Frame is prepped and primed and ready to install suspension parts once they arrive, then paint. The picture shows it on top of a 1931 Packard frame. Looks tiny.
    Body is almost ready for paint. Motor is painted (VERY orange). Still trying to decide if we keep the original Corvette instake manifold orange (like it was) or change it to silver. Tranny is painted and ready to go. Hope to have more photos later this week. Should have a rolling chassis in next 2 weeks.
    Thanks for asking!

little frame on big frame.jpg body prep.jpg
    chevy orange motor.jpg
    painted tranny.jpg

catdad49, Tim, brEad and 8 others like this.
  25. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

floor being mocked up for welding...
    Roadster floor 1.jpg
    Roadster floor 2.jpg

catdad49, Tim, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good stuff Riff. Are you adding some beading to that...why would one add such? To strengthen and I suppose aid in pop/oil canning...huge undertaking this all is...but your gettin' it done...

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@RiffRaffRoadster I am so used to seeing black and white in vintage images...when you do see period color it can really help visualizing what your aiming for...
    @Austinrod has just acquired a vintage Hotrod/Custom hiding in modern upgrading...they were decisions by the 1 and only original Owner of the Custom he acquired.

This pic is 1960 but a couple of observations you might find interesting...

1) The Solid Firewall on the red 32...looks like Aluminum...maybe Stainless

2) Stance, Colors and other details such as headlight height...

Thought I'd share it...check his latest acquisition out...he will be bringing it back to 59/60 which is an interesting twist...;)

fdee488c8720323f5b76fc9d796940de.jpg

Image posted by @Austinrod

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bill-smith’s-tudor-roadster-custom.1151630/page-2#post-13100040

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    catdad49, BigO, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @RiffRaffRoadster wassup...question for you about the engine...Chevy Orange...yeah its famous but did you ever consider another color as it was popular back in the day to mix it up a little...gold, white I mean it's a 'Chord' now...I mean 'Chevord'...:D...if that was the config your Dad had it may be sentimental and I get that.

Mine is maroon painted to match the Wishbones axle springs etc.

Hope all is progressing well your way...;)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  29. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Recent pics. Frame and suspension done and painted. Motor and tranny fit. Brake lines in progress...body work is is almost finished so painting will begin on that next week. [​IMG][​IMG]

Vic Walter, Lil'Alb, catdad49 and 9 others like this.
  30. alchemy

alchemy

Why the Heim joints on the drag link? If you end up having looseness in the steering, check those first.

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.