Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Plymouth cambridge

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Marvin Keller, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Marvin Keller

Marvin Keller

Hello
    I'm new to this site but not new to rods and customs as well as willys wagons, I found this Plymouth at Christmas so I treated myself to a little after Christmas present.
    I can't believe that it is a Pennsylvania car that has 0 rust as well as 0 dents, I currently have the motor and transmission, as well as the rear axle removed, I just installed a new set of posies super slider rear springs as well as a 2001 mustang rear end with 3.27 locker, I'm going through the motor right now I'm going old school and putting a 63 Studebaker R1 289 Avanti and a Fairborn Chevy transmission adapter only been working on it for a month and plan on setting the motor and transmission in this weekend and painting it in a couple of weeks.
    I'm planning on going to Hiawassee Georgia moon shine run in july.

Attached Files:

jakespeed63, GeezersP15 and Hnstray like this.
  2. Marvin Keller

Marvin Keller

Just added a few more pictures

Attached Files:

jakespeed63, InstantT and quick85 like this.
  3. George

George

lot of threads on updating the 46-54 Mopars on here. Front shock relocation, disc brake conversions, ect.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  4. Marvin Keller

Marvin Keller

Already have the rusty hope disc brake and shock relocation kit

jakespeed63 and George like this.

5. Those were great cars back in the day, the trick is to find one intact with no rust. Have fun with it.

6. 62rebel

62rebel

I had a nice '52 Cambridge when I joined back in 2007.... couldn't kill that flathead six

7. 'Mo

'Mo

Any cosmetic changes on the drawing board?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  8. Marvin Keller

Marvin Keller

Nope just letting the body
    Stock painting it 2017 Mercedes blue and top white with blue ghost pearl in it
    Found a really reasonable place to buy pearl in Denver

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Neat looking Mopar in really nice shape.. Should be a good cruiser....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Marvin Keller

Marvin Keller

Well plans changed started motor and transmission installation and ran into a significant malfunction, its like trying to put a size 14 foot into a 7 shoe, everything had to be reengineered, so I proceeded to plan B I'm installing a 360 mopar in it i really wanted to doo the stude but didn't want to get involved with steering or subframe installation
    Will post some pics soon

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. I knew it couldn't be a space issue. Friend of mine shoe-horned this into one of those Mayflowers.:D;).......Images by Scott. IMG_1542.jpg IMG_1497.jpg

12. George

George

If I can fit a 331 in a '48.....

i

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

if you are keeping the stock steering gear, conventional wisdom is to offset the engine a couple inches tot he passenger side. If you think that's kinda weird check out a mopar A body with a v8. Problem with the 50's cars is you need to modify the heater and ducting or eliminate if you don't have winter driving I mind. check out Butches cool stuff for motor mounts etc.

Mopar Tony and Torchie like this.
  14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Hate to say it but a small block Chevy fits easier especially with a mini starter and the right exhaust manifolds. Chrysler flathead six fits even easier, Plymouth or Dodge flathead easiest of all.

48fordnut likes this.
  15. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

16. Marvin Keller

Marvin Keller

I know I be done several hot rod builds as well as willys wagons and jeepster, my first rod was a model u Plymouth 1930 era, I put a 360 in it with 340 heads intake and cam was very tight, the studebaker was hitting everything don't want to reinvent the wheel just hate to put a bow tie in it,
    Remember Real Men Don't Wear Bow Ties that was totally wrong too say, I'm planning on having it finished by July for the Moonshine run in Hiawassee Georgia only been working on it for 4 weeks

17. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I am not too sure what your reply means. I directed you to that thread as it has my post with a PDF article about a small block Mopar swap in a ‘51 Plymouth. I was not assessing your experience or ability just sharing some info rather than typing out all the specifics. The swap only requires a truck pan, A body exhaust manifolds and a slight adjustment on the firewall on the passenger side. Mine worked out great, still driving it - 15 years now.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Mopar Tony and Chavezk21 like this.
  18. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I also had to narrow the inner fender panels for clearance. I imagine a narrower motor might fit without that.

19. George

George

Truck or Van oil pan, oil pick up tube, dip stick & D-S tube. The 318 fits nicely in a '47 Dodge & I imagine a little easier in a '51.

20. Marvin Keller

Marvin Keller

Actually I was not interpreting it as that.
    I ordered a driver's side manifold off ebay and the oil pan fits ok.
    I ment the stude engine would only fit properly if I removed the steering box and I don't want to get into that problem, how much did you have to adjust the passenger side firewall.
    I know that my old 30 Plymouth was filled to the max.
    I also used a volari k frame I built it in 1980 it's hard for me to say that almost 40 years
    What radiator did you use
    My motor and transmission is from a 77 cordoba the stock manifold is really close to the steering column.
    I'm open to any suggestions from anyone as I am a auto body instructor at a tech school I preach to my students that no matter how much experience that you have you can always learn from someone else.

21. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

The firewall was massaged about 1” in to clear the valve cover. A ‘71 Duster radiator was used. Cools great with a Flex-a-Lite fan. I do not know about a Cordoba manifold. The A body driver side curves around the steering, that is the best bet for the early mopar swap with no steering modification. They did that as well as offsetting the engine to the passenger side about 2” in those A bodies.

22. George

George

On the '47 Dodge the 318 only needed a slight dent in the firewall to clear the pass. side valve cover & a little cutting of the inner fender for the alternator. As said the A body ex man curls around the steering column.

23. oldtimelampshop

oldtimelampshop

I’m doing this to a 49 Ply Conv right now. Bought mounts from Butchs cool stuff. Any tips? Have you done it? I checking boards now but new here

24. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

09E6DC32-4FE5-446C-BFBA-970F70CBE604.jpeg
    Keep the Flathead it will get more attention than any V8 you’ll ever fit in it. Believe me

25. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could go flathead and get the adapter to put an automatic behind it ...picked up a 50 3 window recently. Digging yours. What ever you decide just keep posting pics

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Haven't done it myself but helped a friend fit a 340 in place of a Chev 350 in his 37 Dodge coupe many years ago. I was surprised how much easier the Chev fit, since both engines are so similar in size.

27. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

manifolds off a durango hug real tight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

s55mercury66 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  28. George

George

Q.E.C. (73RR here on the Board) makes them.

29. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

Yeah...but then he'd be stuck with a crappy Grandma Motors engine...

George likes this.
  30. George

George

like 90% of the cars out there, boring!

Mopar Tony likes this.