Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Check your nuts!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Lug nuts you perverts! :cool:

I have been driving the old '50 a lot lately and my daughter pointed out that I was missing a lug nut, I mounted the new mags a few moths ago and after a few weeks I went around and checked them to make sure they were tight and they were.

Today ones missing, so the first order when I get home is go around the car and check again. HRP

2. topher5150

topher5150

my wife has mine in her purse.

3. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Years ago I bought a 69 Plymouth GTX with a bad trans. I swapped the trans and took it for a blast on the highway for a test drive. After running it up to 100+ I backed down to the posted speed and heard a metallic ping, I looked over and saw a lug nut and washer bounce off the pavement right next to the car. When I pulled to the shoulder there was 2 lugs holding the left rear wheel on. I robbed one off the front and limped home, apparently the previous owner didn’t eat his Wheaties because most of the lugs were grossly undertorqued. Since then I have always used a torque wrench whenever I put on a wheel, the thought of losing one at speed scares the Hell out of me...

4. catdad49

catdad49

Always retorque your nuts..................especially if you have aluminum wheels!

3W JOHN, mad mikey, WB69 and 8 others like this.

5. 34Larry

34Larry

MY nuts get retorqued every time my wife says, "Your going the garage again"?
    (now ,now...……. you guys Knew someone was going to say something stupid)

Serious posting though, sorry HRP.

6. Sounds like someone's mucking with you. Danny.;) JW

3W JOHN, VANDENPLAS and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I had that happen with the mags on my T.

[​IMG]

8. brady1929

brady1929

Mine are hanging low.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I was at the dealership once to get lug nuts. Parts person asked "what do your nuts look like?". Before I could answer he hurriedly corrected himself.

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Touche

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Flat spots I take it.

12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Mine are in the wringer!

13. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Still have mine- no thanks to the cat...

14. Speed~On

Speed~On

My wife is either torqing my nuts or chewing my ass :D its usually well deserved.

But in all seriousness, this past week I checked all the nuts/bolts I could get to on my hot rod. Still have to check all the lug nuts. It's a great preseason saftey check now that the season is upon us.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  15. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

great idea. a few years ago i forgot to tighten mine. it was just sitting and finally got it to a point to take a test drive. i had switched wheels around and never tightened them. went down the street losing my lugnuts and turned around to go home when i lost a wheel. luckily all that was hurt was my fender. for the few of you i do know about the rivets on the brake hub. the wheels fit without riding on them. this is a case of just not tightning lugnuts. wreck.jpg

16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Whew! I'm gad you meant lug nuts because those nut checks hurt...

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

"Mine are bigger than yours"
    20170217_205503.jpg

18. RDR

RDR

19. A prime example of what can happen and fortunately the damage was minor compared to what it could have been, thank you for visual proof of what can happen. HRP

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Your nuts are huge but you have a tiny little stud :p :D:D

21. This one is a puzzler, around the car and re-torqued all the lug nuts and every one of them were tight, I guess it's entirely possible I over looked one.

I have a coffee can full of lug nuts so I'll go through it and find something to fit. HRP

22. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I run 670-15 on my car and find I have to run them around the block and then re-torque them if I take them off for any reason. It seems the more narrow they are the more of a problem I seem to have with re-torque.

23. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

^ Not uncommon due to narrow rim flex. Chrome plated rims are the worst for loosening up no matter the width. Chrome plated lugs with plated rims = slippery.

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not checking my nuts almost cost me my life. Back in the day, I had a 1900# little roadster with a flathead that couldn't possibly have any more done to it. One night on an extremely straight road I asked that car for everyting it could give top end wise. I immediately drove it home and parked it in the garage. The next day after work I backed it out of the garage and into the street, moved forward about 50 feet and the left front wheel fell off. Over the years, I can't tell you how many times I've thought about this situation and what might have been. Guess it just wasn't my time.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  25. b-bob

b-bob

Also, don't forget to tighten adapters to drum, 002.JPG before rim to adapters

26. Deuces

Deuces

Turtle?....:confused:

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ "Baby it's cold outside"
    [​IMG]

28. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How is it that you have that information? Inquiring minds want to know.;)

29. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

These ugly looking alum wheels that everybody is putting on their trucks that stick out the side like a sore thumb are the worst. They have those funky little lug nuts that they send the socket for. You have to install them, torque the nuts, drive them and retorque and even then I've had them to work loose days later. China junk that's going to get somebody killed.

30. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan