Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Thanks Mike.....I did not know that it comes from our state! Will write this down now for later reference.

2. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks for the suggestions, yes i can see your point on the aluminum to steel marriage. easy enough to add phenolic spacers. i hear you on the crossover tube. I chatted with vintage speed today who also make the tri power outboard carb bases. They say they fit the throttle blades to each base before they ship them out to ensure a tight fit. If i can't get mine happy i will order bases from them. Still zero response from Speedway. maybe i have totally stumped their most veteran tech support guys.... ha ha NOT

31chevymike, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. FWIW....at one time Speedway handled the Vintage Speed pieces but that was several years ago. Might want to check on that:rolleyes:

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  4. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Hmmm interesting. VS was adamant that they specifically fit each blade, make sure they are perfect and then prepare to ship. Guess at some point you have to trust someone. At least they actually will talk to you unlike speedway. Bought my last parts there for sure

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

31chevymike, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. alchemy

alchemy

Speaking about trusting someone, I suggest reading up on Vintage Speed before ordering from them. My brother and many others have expressed their opinions here on the HAMB in a few threads.

31chevymike, Stogy and Fitnessguy like this.
  6. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

Everything I purchased from vintage speed to convert my Rochester 2 barrels was very well constructed. The replacement base plate seal tight and don't leak.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    loudbang, 31chevymike and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dickster and Charlie have both done and continue to do the walk...both have had criticisms and support...I have done business with both and transactions were fulfilled and positive.

They have to deal with the issues as they arise and adjust as necessary.

I have 4 carbs that I would love to get up to speed but have not moved on it yet...nothing new for me.

Good luck on getting things purring and growling Fitness...;)

9. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

2nd getting in touch with dickster, did me right

10. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I know Charlie Price from Vintage Speed, as I had him complete my 6-Deuce setup way too many years ago that you see in my avatar. I brought my manifold to him at the GoodGuys Orlando FL event when it WAS there. I can tell you, the man is extremely knowledgeable about multi-carb setups. He's the MAN.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Love everyone’s passion about service and different suppliers. Having been in specialty retail for 25 years and having a really high standard about our customer service we provide our customers, I do have a really short leash when dealing with a service issue as a customer myself. To me the number one thing is communication. When you leave a client hanging and don’t reply to an email or return a phone call in a timely manner you are just plainly sending the wrong message. Tackle an issue head on, let the client know you care about coming up with a solution and the client should never have an issue if you are trying your hardest. Apathy toward a service issue is death as far as I’m concerned.
    As of today zero response from speedway. So after a week of no response as far as I’m concerned they could give a shit. I won’t buy another thing from them and more people than less that are in our hobby will hear all about it. And companies wonder why customer loyalty is such a fleeting thing today. It’s pretty simple, don’t give them a reason to shop elsewhere!

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like Speedway for a lot of things, as long as you don’t need technical support it’s fine.

I ordered my new Winters quick change from them because the price was good and they had everything I needed in stock and shipping was reasonable enough.

When I needed a question answered they were lucky to know what the part they sold me looked like :D

I ended up calling Winters directly.

When I ordered my new Stromberg 97 carbs I went through Uncle Max and got them directly from Clive in England.

Stromberg fuel fittings I got from Tim McMaster ( also a Stromberg dealer) my engine builder in California.

Tech support from them is not a problem.

brEad, 31chevymike and Fitnessguy like this.
  13. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

14. 31chevymike

31chevymike

A very good start Fitness - hope your carb issues work out eventually. We're sure they will!

loudbang likes this.
  15. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks man. Ordered up two new bases from VS yesterday. So far Charlie has been very quick to reply to any email I have sent him. He even offered for me to send the current ones I have to him and he would fit them with new blades. I don’t want to be down for an extended period of time so will go with two new ones and I’ll do a rebuild of the current ones down the road. Car runs great otherwise. Gonna creep up the psi and also try a little bigger jet on the centre carb as it sounds like it needs a little more fuel but all easy stuff to play with.
    One thing for sure, it sure is easy to work on the coupe with no fenders or hood!!! Ha ha dread having to turn wrenches on the Camaro again!

Blue One, Stogy, 31chevymike and 3 others like this.
  16. 31chevymike

31chevymike

You're in the HOT ROD world like the rest of us HAMBERS... Enjoy it big time buddy - 'cause WE know you will!

loudbang, Fitnessguy and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  18. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Will get some better vids with some good hard pulls makin that 409 sing!!

19. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Had the alignment checked today at my buddies shop. Happily found that we had the toe in within 1/16 of perfect with the good ol tape measure and eye ball!! Who needs these fancy machines!!! Ha ha rearend is perfect as well. Life is good. Now if the damn weather would just clean up instead of these crazy swings that change every 5 minutes then I can get some real seat time in!! First show is May 5th!
    IMG_8509.JPG

20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

First cruise with the Mrs tonight. She gives the final product two thumbs up! First time I’ve taken it out on the highway and really let her stretch her legs. 65-70 mph and the car is perfectly happy and goes down the road super smooth. Couldn’t be happier. Only complaint my gas pedal is pretty damn stiff!! Have to do more leg workouts to be ready for the longer drives!! Ha ha

IMG_8533.JPG IMG_8534.JPG IMG_8530.JPG IMG_8527.JPG

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Atta Boy Fitness that smiles permanent I'm sure...gotta be a thrill and you have some mighty interesting scenery...

About the throttle springs maybe a lighter tension spring is in order...mine were hard on the muscles to I actually used springs from the rack in the Auto Help rack in Canucker Tire...

Now I am aware there are in OEM GM setups a spring within a spring...I have to singles one per bank of carbs so if one goes I think I still have one to cover and the tension is now somewhat lighter.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  22. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I have two return springs on the primary carb which are the same tension as the ones I have on the camaro. Always been a two spring guy for safety sake. Stuck throttle because of one spring system failing ain’t no fun! It’s the heavy throttle shaft springs on the secondary carbs that are adding all the weight but you have to have them for the tight seal. Between that and the spoon pedal ratio it’s a lot. I’ll figure something out.

23. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

can you say shit eatin' grin?? :D

24. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I guess you just did! Ha ha I keep waiting for updated build pics in my mailbox from you but every day I check and nothing!!! Quit holding out on me man!!’

25. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Credit where credits due. Speedway definitely stepping up to help me out. I called a couple days ago as I still hadn’t heard anything and dealt with the Caleb fellow who is a service manager. He apologized that they hadn’t communicated to me at all and said he was on it. This was the email today. All a guy can ask for I would say.

IMG_8548.JPG

brEad, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That’s good that they stepped up to try to make it right.
    Now you can hope that what they send you will be better than what you got the first time.

27. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

After some debate for now anyways I’ve retired the Pontiac wheel and gone with a Limeworks bell style 15” wheel. The Pontiac was just a little close to the door panel for safety if I had to make a quick turn. I even moved the column drop over to compensate but it just takes up too much real estate. Will see how things play out.
    IMG_8544.JPG IMG_8546.JPG

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fitness_Transition2.jpg

;)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    woodz, Rich B., 31chevymike and 7 others like this.