Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pulling our hair out!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4756streetrodder, Apr 25, 2019.

1. we dropped the gas tank on 58 chevy installed new sending unit, but prior to buttoning up we hooked gauge wires and manually moved float and gauge went to F. Put 5 gal. gas in and gauge moved just off E! Should have moved to 1/8 or even 1/4. Drained gas and manually moved float to read 1/4 and it was barely moved to obtain 1/4. Put back in and added 10 gal. just barely off E!!!! Any suggestion will be appreciated!

2. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

Does the float actually float or does it sink?

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Pist-n-Broke and squirrel like this.
  3. greybeard360

greybeard360

Universal sender or direct replacement?

If universal ..... You didn't adjust the float arm correctly.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  4. Did you forget to ground the sending unit? HRP

5. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I posted the same question a couple of years ago with pics. I ended up having a bad ground from tank to body to frame. fixed that then found out that the new sender I bought was bad. replaced that and am good to go now. The Bad sender was the dang float.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  6. Don't insulate the tank at the floor and the straps. Are add a grounding wire from sender to good ground.

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I would also be sure the float travel equals the depth of the tank, if you haven't already.

8. Factory unit?
    After market universal to go with new gauges?

I’m going to guess the problem is related to trigonometry issues in the bends of the arm.

In every gas tank sender that I’ve ever seen including late model OEM stuff,,,, with an electric gauge and swing arm float are never accurate thru the entire swing of the float. It’s way better to read E with 5 gallons than to read 1/8 tank with with 1 gallon. That is unless you’re in for walking at the least opportunistic moment.

Happydaze and ffr1222k like this.